Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 02:04 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
I'm no great fan of Harper, but how does this make him any different from an icon of the left like Trudeau the Elder?

This has always been the case. In Canada, there are only two levels of government who enjoy the constitutional right to raise revenue: the feds and the provinces. If you have a beef with taxes and with the tax raising powers of Ontario municipalities, then take it up with Queen's Park, the place responsible for creating Toronto and empowering it to tax. You won't get far there, but please do go right ahead. This isn't a federal matter and it won't be anytime soon. Part of it is because provinces don't want to surrender taxation powers to the cities and part of it is because no one trusts municipalities. The Canadian Federation of Municipalities has been pushing for constitutional change to recognize municipal government for decades now. It isn't going to happen.

Part of that is to provide them with justification to gut spending at some point in time. I'd also add that the economy of Ontario has been in the toilet for almost every year since then. This isn't Harper's fault, whatever some Ontarians might have you believe, and the tax receipts that Ottawa might otherwise enjoy from a buoyant Ontario have been significantly reduced because Ontario itself has yet to reinvent itself in a way that might see it return to the prosperity it once enjoyed.

Please don't take offense, BK123, but you should do a great deal more reading about Canadian politics. You have much to learn.
In the U.S., the federal government has a direct funding mechanism that helps fund major infrastructure projects in municipalities, by-passing the state-level government all-together. Of course it is as much a federal matter as it is a provincial one. Instead of handing money directly to the province, why not also create a parallel direct infrastructure funding mechanism directly from Ottawa to cities?

Also, just because this has "always" been the case doesn't mean it is the most rational arrangement, and is certainly not an excuse to not change and remain stagnant. Canadian municipalities created in the 19th century had to deal with a lot less problems than municipalities today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post
Did somebody say Trudeau?
You know, just because you put repeat something over and over again in memes, doesn't necessarily make it more convincing.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:16 PM

869 posts, read 1,124,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
In the U.S., .....
I lost interest right there

Old 04-04-2015, 02:41 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,801 times
Quote:
In the U.S., the federal government has a direct funding mechanism that helps fund major infrastructure projects in municipalities, by-passing the state-level government all-together. Of course it is as much a federal matter as it is a provincial one. Instead of handing money directly to the province, why not also create a parallel direct infrastructure funding mechanism directly from Ottawa to cities?
I'd imagine that's possible here, but for reasons both political and financial, it doesn't happen. Also, I don't think that we should be looking to the US to try and learn how big municipalities should be run and funded. I like the States -- I lived there for a few years and I enjoyed my time down south -- but many of America's major cities aren't terribly well run.

Quote:
Also, just because this has "always" been the case doesn't mean it is the most rational arrangement, and is certainly not an excuse to not change and remain stagnant. Canadian municipalities created in the 19th century had to deal with a lot less problems than municipalities today.
Major Canadian cities complained constantly and loudly about their supposed inability to fund transit expansions, etc. when the Liberals were in power as well. They also clamoured for constitutional protection of their level of government. This isn't a new issue, nor is it one that's either specific or peculiar to the Harper Conservatives.

Last edited by maclock; 04-04-2015 at 02:51 PM..

Old 04-04-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I'd imagine that's possible here, but for reasons both political and financial, it doesn't happen. Also, I don't think that we should be looking to the US to try and learn how big municipalities should be run and funded. I like the States -- I lived there for a few years and I enjoyed my time down south -- but many of America's major cities aren't terribly well run.

Major Canadian cities complained constantly and loudly about their supposed inability to fund transit expansions, etc. when the Liberals were in power as well. They also clamoured for constitutional protection of their level of government. This isn't a new issue, nor is it one that's either specific or peculiar to the Harper Conservatives.
You make some good points . I also don't think Canada should emulate how U.S. cities are run (most are not very well-run to begin with...). Perhaps learn from how Western European cities provide sustainable funding mechanisms for municipalities? Because as of now, every time a city like Toronto wants to embark on a major infrastructure project, it has to go through a cumbersome process of begging for money from Queen's Park and Ottawa - by the time funding gets through (a big IF) we already have a change of administration who scraps everything the previous administration has done (e.g. Ford). It's not that the federal government doesn't want to provide funding, it's just that there is no self-sustaining funding mechanism at the moment where municipalities and transit planners can depend on to receive predictable and sustainable funding - a lot of this right now is decided by the whims of provincial and federal politicians.

I agree with you that this isn't a new problem, nor is this a unique problem under the Harper government. Perhaps I should've rephrased myself - I just wish that the Harper government could've delegated greater power and revenue mechanisms down to local levels, so that cities can decide for themselves what kind of taxes and revenue they want to raise, instead of concentrating all the revenue powers in the provincial and federal levels.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
I lost interest right there
I know this is Canada, but if there's something that American cities do better at, then by all means, we should keep an open mind and learn and absorb all the positive aspects. Old labels and rivalries won't help anybody in this case.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:57 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,801 times
Quote:
I agree with you that this isn't a new problem, nor is this a unique problem under the Harper government. Perhaps I should've rephrased myself - I just wish that the Harper government could've delegated greater power and revenue mechanisms down to local levels, so that cities can decide for themselves what kind of taxes and revenue they want to raise, instead of concentrating all the revenue powers in the provincial and federal levels.
Early in my career, I used to get municipal government officials out of trouble. Even by the low standards we expect of politicians and bureaucrats, local folks were by a long shot the least inspired, the most arbitrary, the most easily corrupted, and the most easily mislead. There are many reasons why your wish won't come true any time soon.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Early in my career, I used to get municipal government officials out of trouble. Even by the low standards we expect of politicians and bureaucrats, local folks were by a long shot the least inspired, the most arbitrary, the most easily corrupted, and the most easily mislead. There are many reasons why your wish won't come true any time soon.
Sure thing. Most local governments around the world are more or less corrupt, or at least complicit with local business interests. Perhaps as an oversight, the federal government could set up a permanent national infrastructure and public transit fund that delegates a set amount of dollar amounts on an annual basis to a list of projects around the nation. In order to qualify, municipalities can apply and have federal auditors vet out a list of potential projects. This way, the federal government can by-pass the provincial level, reduce bureaucratic red tape and approval time for funding, and at the same time directly oversee how these dollars are spent on each project throughout the country. Just an idea.

Currently, there is already a similar mechanism established under the Harper government - called the "Building Canada Plan" - where provinces and municipalities can apply for infrastructure funding. It's a good start, but the one big flaw is that this is only meant to be a temporary mechanism that span for a period of 10 years. After that, the funds run out, and a new plan, with a new set of rules, will have to be set by the next government, whichever party wins the next elections. It would be ideal if this plan, and the rules and mechanisms that come along with it, can be made a permanent and sustainable component of Canada's infrastructure and public transit strategy, not something that can be meddled with or scrapped as soon as a new government wins the election.

http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/plan/plan-eng.html

Old 04-04-2015, 03:24 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
I personally believe that Harper is the one of the worse, if not the worst PM we've ever had. We are now spending hundreds of millions, that will turn into billions fighting in a war that has nothing to do with us.
Turning that tragedy in Ottawa into an Islamic Terrorist attack is pitiful. The man was mentally ill. If it wasn't Islam it would of been Jesus or something that made him do it.
Sending our troops in harms way, by a man who hid in closet.

His economic record is pathetic.

The list is a long one from closing important coast guard stations ( It will now take 30 minutes for them to respond if someone is in trouble on busy, English Bay, where before the closure it took two minutes or less ) to meat inspections.

His unreasonable fear of the media and NOT answering questions that aren't screened is simply wrong.

The so called Fair Elections Act and C-51 are two more examples of anti-democratic principles. He shuts down debate and only acts if the pressure is on, and then still doesn't do the right thing.

I don't think in the history of Canada have I seen so many groups and organizations voicing their concern over this government.

https://harperwatch.wordpress.com

Old 04-05-2015, 07:30 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,554 times
I'm not sure that many people have ever been fined or imprisoned for not returning their census form... I recall one show trial a few years ago, that's about it.
Audrey Tobias: Toronto woman who wouldn't fill out census form found not guilty | Toronto Star

Quote:
In America census information is required by law. Last year I forgot to send in my U.S. census form online and was sent a warning letter stating a list of offences for failure to do so and possible prosecution with fine of up to $5,000 USD and criminal misdemeanor. If you want to be part of a modern society, are a beneficiary of any public services, and you care about the community you live in and how its future course will be shaped, then there is an absolute need to submit census data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada