U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Burnaby BC 8 72.73%
Scarborough ON 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:05 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,750,122 times

Advertisements

Why not?

Scarborough is probably the closest Toronto counterpart to Burnaby or vice-versa. Both are largely working class heavily immigrant communities where no group really dominates.

Burnaby seems to be a bit more "urban" though and a bit more white collar.

Compare diversity, urban form, transit, schools, parks, cultural amenities, food...whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 09:05 PM

2,559 posts, read 2,177,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Why not?

Scarborough is probably the closest Toronto counterpart to Burnaby or vice-versa. Both are largely working class heavily immigrant communities where no group really dominates.

Compare diversity, urban form, transit, schools, parks, cultural amenities, food...whatever.
Burnaby definitely feels more urban and very well connected to the rest of Vancouver. I've been to Burnaby a few times and there are neighborhoods in north Burnaby that are extremely well-off, with beautiful mansions built on rolling hills and several awesome urban parks (most notably central park).

Old 03-10-2015, 10:59 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,486,989 times
Quote:
Why not?

Burnaby because:

- Enormous parks and amazing greenspaces. Scarborough has parks but can't really compare, a full thrid of Burnaby is greenspace.

- 2 waterfronts, one fresh water and one salt.

- Incredible transit. The entire city is convenient to automated rapid transit lines and it's centrally located so you can quickly get to any other city in the Metro.

- A mix of old and new urban forms. From the charming old high street in Burnaby heights to the massive modern forms emerging in Metrotown, Burnaby has alot of urban styles to choose from.

- SFU. A major university with all kinds of cultural benefits from being near it.

- Better weather, and mountain views.

Diversity, schools, and food probably aren't that hugely different.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:13 AM

Yeah, north Burnaby along Hastings feels fairly urban, akin maybe to the east Danforth/old East York. More urban than Vancouver south of 41st in fact.

But then there's some very new suburban parts as well (i.e. around Metrotown), which make up the majority of Burnaby.

Scarborough is probably the closest Toronto counterpart, but not an exact comparison, obviously.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:23 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
No comparison. I will take Burnaby over Scarborough any day of the year.

Of course, the former is a lot more expensive I suppose. Like pointed out Burnaby is probably more similar to East York and surrounding areas than Scarborough. I don't remember any part of Scarborough that feels slightly "urban". Scarborough should be part of Pickering.

Geographically, assume Old Toronto is the counterpart of city Vancouver (similar land size, 20% more people), from the maps it is obvious that Burnaby is a lot more integrated (with the skytrain directed to downtown for Christ's sake) than Scarborough, which just hangs there. East York seems much closer.

Burnaby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

East York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What's GTA's counterpart of Richmond, BC?

Old 03-10-2015, 11:28 AM

2,559 posts, read 2,177,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Burnaby because:

- Enormous parks and amazing greenspaces. Scarborough has parks but can't really compare, a full thrid of Burnaby is greenspace.

- 2 waterfronts, one fresh water and one salt.

- Incredible transit. The entire city is convenient to automated rapid transit lines and it's centrally located so you can quickly get to any other city in the Metro.

- A mix of old and new urban forms. From the charming old high street in Burnaby heights to the massive modern forms emerging in Metrotown, Burnaby has alot of urban styles to choose from.

- SFU. A major university with all kinds of cultural benefits from being near it.

- Better weather, and mountain views.

Diversity, schools, and food probably aren't that hugely different.
- Good transit. Incredible? No. There are a total of 4 Skytrain stations located in Burnaby proper on the Millennium line, and they are all very surburban with the exception of the metrotown station. Expo line has a few more. It's great if you live along the line, but for the majority of residents in Burnaby, they are not even remotely close to a skytrain line. A friend of mine lives there and he complains about this all the time, the need to wait for bus transfers in order to get to the few and far-in-between skytrain stations.

An incredible transit system is a combination of rapid transit, light rail, and high frequency commuter/regional trains along with bus service.

- SFU is at best a mediocre regional university that's located on a hill and extremely isolated. I don't see it as a cultural benefit if it is so far from places with high population density like metrotown. Plus SFU's campus architecture is just hideous. Again, my friend graduated from SFU and I used to visit him often. Concrete slabs on a hill, coupled by rain and cloud 9 months of the year. That's just depressing, and is widely acknowledged even among locals.

- Better weather... Vancouver has good weather in July, August, and September. That's it. The city is known as Raincouver rest of the year.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
- Good transit. Incredible? No. There are a total of 4 Skytrain stations located in Burnaby proper on the Millennium line, and they are all very surburban with the exception of the metrotown station. Expo line has a few more. It's great if you live along the line, but for the majority of residents in Burnaby, they are not even remotely close to a skytrain line. A friend of mine lives there and he complains about this all the time, the need to wait for bus transfers in order to get to the few and far-in-between skytrain stations.

An incredible transit system is a combination of rapid transit, light rail, and high frequency commuter/regional trains along with bus service.
haha. People have different standard. A lot of would say Toronto's public transit is excellent, or downtown has great transit. I can't agree with either. It is acceptable, but nowhere excellent.

An excellent transit would mean most people in central city are able to live within 10 or 15 minutes walk to a rapid transit station. Paris, Tokyo, Shanghai, London, Berlin have excellent transit. I don't even consider NYC's public transit that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
- - Better weather... Vancouver has good weather in July, August, and September. That's it. The city is known as Raincouver rest of the year.
Agree. but rain is still better than snow and -15C elsewhere IMO. You don't have to shovel the rain. Canada doesn't have a city that has "good weather"

Old 03-10-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Of course, the former is a lot more expensive I suppose. Like pointed out Burnaby is probably more similar to East York and surrounding areas than Scarborough.
North Burnaby is. South Burnaby is more new suburbia.

Van housing prices are ridiculous. At least Toronto has somewhat more affordable areas that are close in, like the Etobicoke Lakeshore and East York. The difference between elite, gentrified and central districts between the two cities isn't dramatic, but Vancouver is far more expensive for traditional working and middle class areas outside the core zone and suburban housing.

Quote:
What's GTA's counterpart of Richmond, BC?
Markham.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
North Burnaby is. South Burnaby is more new suburbia.

Markham.
Most of East York is pretty suburbia too, although probably older in character. No real difference.

Markham is similar in terms of large Chinese population. But Markham is even more segregated from Toronto than Scarborough. Both are very suburban I think. Does Richmond have a more urban and walkable part?

The layout of Markham make me want to cry.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:08 PM

Scarborough is so ridiculously big that it's hard to take all of Scarborough and compare it to 1 Vancouver suburb. Burnaby/East York probably comes closest.

Richmond could be a Markham/Mississauga mix perhaps? It does share in common with Mississauga having a few "quaint" waterfront districts (Steveston, Port Credit), developed around the same time, and is home to the major airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or