U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 12:22 AM

7,276 posts, read 6,604,283 times

Advertisements

Thanks Netwit, that's good information. I got a second anonymous rep comment in French from another person immediately after my last post above - less points on that one so I think that means it was somebody newer with less posts count. So I guess it's either two people or one person with a new sock-puppet doing it.

That second message I got translated to a very subtle threat so now I'm debating with myself about reporting both of them.

Such nonsense with the rep comments posted as subtle threats is just another reason why I'm not interested and not sympathetic towards a cause of fools who resort to such immature tactics.

Last edited by Zoisite; 03-19-2015 at 12:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 02:31 AM

34,434 posts, read 41,537,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Why don't you take part and state your views? Quebec is a part of this country too, and I want it to remain that way, but why not try to help the problem instead of covering it up? There are those of us in Quebec fighting the good fight, and we could use help from other people. It must be nice to just get tired of seeing the problem on the internet, for others like me this is real life. I hope it doesn't inconvenience you too much...
No one is implying all this important Quebec stuff shouldnt be talked about the jist of this topic is do we really need 7-8 topics all going on about the same subject, it gets kinda confusing trying to remember which topic i posted which response, i too am all for a Quebec Sticky..

PS. PB. What fight is this you are fighting?And what help do you need?

Old 03-19-2015, 07:06 AM

21,960 posts, read 27,390,495 times
You guys are funny talking about how Quebecers are polluting this forum by starting all these threads.

Here are the Quebec related threads on this forum (first two pages):

Make the bad man stop - started by Mikey who is from AB but lives in Tx (yes, this counts as another one now!)

Is Quebec independence legitimate - started by Ilikemike who is from BC but lives in DC

Neverendum - started by limelightkid (no idea where he is from but not from Quebec obviously)

Neocolonialism - started by bigbubbles from Denmark

What will you do if Qc separates - started by Bonjour - yes he is from Quebec

Is Canada better off without Quebec - started by modernrebel, orginally from Qc but hasn't lived here in a while

Retired head of Liberal party says QC will separate - limelightkid again (non-QC)

Quebec too harsh on anglos - started babyblue who lives in Ottawa

Is Quebec the best place in NA - started by valsteele who lives on the US west coast

What will happen to house prices if QC separates - yunemus, not from Quebec either

Quebec independence movement - transhmanist, looks to be American

French Canadians conquered by the English - bigbubbles from Denmark again

Old 03-19-2015, 07:14 AM

18,321 posts, read 10,398,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You guys are funny talking about how Quebecers are polluting this forum by starting all these threads.

Here are the Quebec related threads on this forum (first two pages):

Make the bad man stop - started by Mikey who is from AB but lives in Tx (yes, this counts as another one now!)

Is Quebec independence legitimate - started by Ilikemike who is from BC but lives in DC

Neverendum - started by limelightkid (no idea where he is from but not from Quebec obviously)

Neocolonialism - started by bigbubbles from Denmark

What will you do if Qc separates - started by Bonjour - yes he is from Quebec

Is Canada better off without Quebec - started by modernrebel, orginally from Qc but hasn't lived here in a while

Retired head of Liberal party says QC will separate - limelightkid again (non-QC)

Quebec too harsh on anglos - started babyblue who lives in Ottawa

Is Quebec the best place in NA - started by valsteele who lives on the US west coast

What will happen to house prices if QC separates - yunemus, not from Quebec either

Quebec independence movement - transhmanist, looks to be American

French Canadians conquered by the English - bigbubbles from Denmark again
Careful there A/J; your prejudicial predisposition to accuse Les Anglais may be showing just a tad.

No one said anything about these threads being started by Quebecers. The complaint is about the plethora of them, regardless of origin.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Careful there A/J; your prejudicial predisposition to accuse Les Anglais may be showing just a tad.

No one said anything about these threads being started by Quebecers. The complaint is about the plethora of them, regardless of origin.
Just pointing out the facts BruSan... just pointing out the facts.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Fair enough. But there are so many other regions and cities in Canada that also face their own regional issues. We should also give other threads and topics a chance to be discussed, especially in the general Canada forum where topics from all regions should be represented.

But why do you suppose that is not the case? The majority of people on here are still non-Quebecers by a wide margin. Why is it that most of you guys prefer to discuss Quebec on here than, say, the diversification of Alberta's economy away from non-renewable natural resources?

Even if (let's say) the people from Quebec weren't interested in taking part, there are more than enough non-Quebecers on here for you guys to have a fulsome discussion. If only you (and others) were interested...

Old 03-19-2015, 07:28 AM

8,602 posts, read 11,096,185 times
I have to be honest and say I did this without malice. I've made my opinions clear on the numerous threads that I strongly believe Quebec has the right to decide their own fate, and ultimately I support the quest to protect the unique qualities that the Quebecois bring to making Canada the place that it was, is and will continue to be.

My comment was driven from the fact that I just didn't like coming onto this part of the forum anymore because what had started as an intellectual conversation(s) has devolved into a US style entrenchment of ideals where whatever one person says is immediately dismissed because they're not "one of us". Along with open hostility and passive aggressive commenting designed specifically to get a rise and stoke the fight. If I want stupid myopic polarized opinion/discussion, I just need to walk out my door. There's more than enough of that here in TX.

Long story short, the Canada forum wasn't very fun, and I miss the way that it used to be.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I have to be honest and say I did this without malice. I've made my opinions clear on the numerous threads that I strongly believe Quebec has the right to decide their own fate, and ultimately I support the quest to protect the unique qualities that the Quebecois bring to making Canada the place that it was, is and will continue to be.

My comment was driven from the fact that I just didn't like coming onto this part of the forum anymore because what had started as an intellectual conversation(s) has devolved into a US style entrenchment of ideals where whatever one person says is immediately dismissed because they're not "one of us". Along with open hostility and passive aggressive commenting designed specifically to get a rise and stoke the fight. If I want stupid myopic polarized opinion/discussion, I just need to walk out my door. There's more than enough of that here in TX.

Long story short, the Canada forum wasn't very fun, and I miss the way that it used to be.
To be brutally honest, I think the turn things have taken kind of speaks to the weakness of public discourse and issue debates in Anglo-Canada.

Having lived about half my life there and half my life in Quebec, there is definitely a striking difference on how much people get into debating the issues (or not).

With the possible exception of Newfoundlanders, Anglo-Canada isn't a place where people engage on "the issues" very much. On the other hand, Quebec tends to debate issues to death.

As nature abhors a vacuum (is that the right expression?), then the hole tends to get filled with what's there.

On this forum (and elsewhere I suppose), the Canadian discourse tends to fill up disproportionately with stuff from Quebec as a result.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:07 AM

18,321 posts, read 10,398,747 times
Quote:
Just pointing out the facts BruSan... just pointing out the facts.
Originally Posted by Acajack:

Well A/J; this was in fact, NOT the fact was it?

Were all of these threads actually started by Quebecers and different individual Quebecers; myself and others would probably consign far more import to them.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Well A/J; this was in fact, NOT the fact was it?

Were all of these threads actually started by Quebecers and different Quebecers; myself and others would probably consign far more import to them.
Well, you're on the right track with your last sentence!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or