U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:41 PM

4,060 posts, read 9,106,870 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I hope this is the right place in the forum to post this. I will be driving from Arizona to Fort Erie (Ridgeway) Ontario (right near Buffalo) towards the middle of April (I'm a snowbird ). I have not done this route before.

MapQuest is suggesting I cross the border into Canada at Detroit (which a friend says is a bad idea). I'm not sure why, so thought I'd ask. If I am coming thru Indiana and Illinois, shouldn't I head towards Buffalo and cross there. Where I'm going is literally minutes from the border.

If there is some reason MapQuest is taking me that way (like bad roads or construction), or something else I'm not seeing?

Please share.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 01:15 PM

18,264 posts, read 10,366,114 times
Without getting into the pros and cons of crossing at Detroit to then spend hours on the 401 and perform the 403 dippsy doodle going underneath Hamilton I can only suggest you put in a different set of defaults such as "quickest" rather than avoiding tolls etc..

Going across underneath the lakes is far easier and prettier than duking it out with the commercial boys on the 401.

I have had some form of GPS for over thirty years now and haven't had to access MapQuest ever, so I don't know if they even give you the basic options of selecting defaults.

Did your MapQuest route bring you across I-20 to then head north or did it start taking you northeast to the I-70 right from the get-go?

Old 03-21-2015, 01:38 PM

4,060 posts, read 9,106,870 times
Thanks so much, that's what I assumed. And thanks for reminding me about tolls, I'll have to have cash on hand, any idea how much I'd need?

I changed the criteria from AZ to Buffalo and it has me on I-20 from east of Cleveland. I don't even see I-70.

I can put it Buffalo as my destination and will get the results I want that way.

Maybe I should buy a GPS but I don't really like them!

Old 03-21-2015, 08:55 PM

Oh my. I was referring to Interstate Twenty way down in the southern states.

Obviously MapQuest is taking you northeast in a more direct route up to cross over under the lake but that hwy 20 east of Cleveland is a small secondary road at best and unless you desire to avoid interstates and tolls it would be my preference to run across I-90 which is, or was, a toll highway the last time I was on it some 10 years back. I can't tell you how much money to have at hand as I was towing a RV fifth wheel trailer with a Semi tractor so might have been charged more due to additional axles.

You should indeed invest in even a rudimentary GPS at the veryu least something like a Tom Tom or cheaper Garmin as any of them today will give you ease of convenience of selecting destination and give you multiple routes to choose even after in-putting shortest or quickest. the darn things are becoming indispensable now.

A friend has one onto which he downloaded a mafia don's voice plan so now he gets ordered in the best Italian mafia thug voice to turn here or die.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:28 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,133,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Hi All,

I hope this is the right place in the forum to post this. I will be driving from Arizona to Fort Erie (Ridgeway) Ontario (right near Buffalo) towards the middle of April (I'm a snowbird ). I have not done this route before.

MapQuest is suggesting I cross the border into Canada at Detroit (which a friend says is a bad idea). I'm not sure why, so thought I'd ask. If I am coming thru Indiana and Illinois, shouldn't I head towards Buffalo and cross there. Where I'm going is literally minutes from the border.

If there is some reason MapQuest is taking me that way (like bad roads or construction), or something else I'm not seeing?

Please share.

Thanks in advance
I drove from Cleveland to Buffalo and crossed into Ft Erie by the Peace Bridge and definately the fastest way is the I-90.. I think I paid 4 bucks U.S no more in tolls and it was tolls through NY state only.. I would def agree with Brusan and avoid crossing through Detroit to get to Ft Erie - really daft routing.. I'd also recommend bringing along either a Phone Based GPS or investing in a Garmin or TomTom - no need to spend a lot of money for one - the lower priced units do the job just fine and you can always update them online. They last years. Solid advice from Brusan and just thought i'd second it..

Old 03-21-2015, 09:31 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,152,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Hi All,

Please share.

Thanks in advance

I'm 110% certain your friend said this because *gasp!*........it merely mentioned Detroit.

There is no reason....at all....to avoid passing through Detroit in regards to safety. You're not even going to be on surface streets. Unless you take the tunnel. But seriously, there is nothing to worry about.

Tolls for the Tunnel are $4.75, tolls for the Ambassador Bridge are $5.00.

Your quickest route (save an hour depending on traffic), is going to be going under Lake Ontario on I-90, crossing at the Buffalo/Fort Erie Peace bridge.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I'm 110% certain your friend said this because *gasp!*........it merely mentioned Detroit.

There is no reason....at all....to avoid passing through Detroit in regards to safety. You're not even going to be on surface streets. Unless you take the tunnel. But seriously, there is nothing to worry about.

Tolls for the Tunnel are $4.75, tolls for the Ambassador Bridge are $5.00.

Your quickest route (save an hour depending on traffic), is going to be going under Lake Ontario on I-90, crossing at the Buffalo/Fort Erie Peace bridge.
I think its just a bad idea cuz it makes no sense to take that routing going to Ft Erie - its longer and just daft

Old 03-21-2015, 10:18 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,152,847 times
I suppose my knee jerk reaction to "bad idea going through Detroit" is.....well....you know. lol

Old 03-21-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I suppose my knee jerk reaction to "bad idea going through Detroit" is.....well....you know. lol
maybe just a bit

Old 03-21-2015, 10:34 PM

Yeah; I wouldn't advise against crossing at Detroit if heading anywhere other than that finger of land under the tip of lake Ontario that is more easily accessed via crossing at Niagara.

I'm prejudiced as regards the 401 though, as I hate that highway with a passion and would probably detour through Kenora to avoid it.

That toll highway 90 is in much better shape and I much preferred taking either the 402 north of the 401 or that I-90 to avoid travelling on the 401 alongside the garbage haulers out of Toronto. The constriction of lanes all merging together at the Kitchener Waterloo exchange is my favourite reason for avoidance. I'm a wimp, my bad. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or