Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 07:26 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times

Advertisements

Ok before you all start saying obscure beers & even Quebec ones like Une (I can get it here too for sure), I think it is, can you say what is the best import here in US from Canada? Is it Labatt (here it is only Blue not Blue Light that can be bought), Molson (no Molson light here either) or Moosehead?

Are any of those acceptable to Canadians?

They are the only top 3 I can think of from Canada easily gotten in the states. I used to drink O'Keefe, like 100 yrs ago as a kid, but it is no more I guess. Ok, thanks to my great white north friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 09:44 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Well, none of those are fantastic, but if I was going to choose one, it would be Moosehead, best of those three.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:55 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Well, none of those are fantastic, but if I was going to choose one, it would be Moosehead, best of those three.
BIM, that's what I have drunk (haha, no pun ) & I like St. John, NB alot too. But is it Halifax, NS or St. John, NB or where? I guess I can look it up. I am a Mtl Habs NHL hockey fan though (imagine that in the US, haha ) but Molson is so-so.

Ok, Moooose is Loose as we used to say, huh?

Old 03-22-2015, 10:03 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
... Molson (no Molson light here either) ...
A question I always ask Americans when they mention Molson: "Molson what?"

Here in Canada, Molson brews Molson Canadian, Molson Export, Molson Stock, Molson Dry, Molson 67, and likely one or two more I've forgotten (anybody know about Molson Ice and Molson XXX?) Then, there are regional ones: Molson Brador and Molson Laurentide were popular in Quebec, for example. Then there are the ones that are no longer brewed: Molson Light, Molson Golden, Molson Canadian Light, Molson Export Light, Molson Diamond, and Molson Special, among others.

Molson Exel is Molson's non-alcohol beer.

Not to mention the beers that Molson produces that aren't branded Molson: the Rickard's family of beers (Red, White, etc.), Coors Light, Old-Style Pilsner, and the Carling line of low-priced beers.

In Canada, Molson isn't a beer; it's a brewery producing a variety of beers. Which Molson are you talking about? (Maybe you could post or link to a photo of what you buy in your area--that might help us to identify it.)

Old 03-22-2015, 10:09 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Same here.

I drink Laker Ice, which is a "cheaper" brand. I guess not everyone thinks it's good, but I do. Plus it's 5.5%, so....that's good. lol

Steam whistle is nice, as well.

I USED to drink Sleeman Honey Brown. But it's expensive. Ice cold, to me, it's fantastic. But don't let it sit around.

Doesn't it just LOOK yummy?

Old 03-22-2015, 10:10 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
BIM, that's what I have drunk (haha, no pun ) & I like St. John, NB alot too. But is it Halifax, NS or St. John, NB or where? I guess I can look it up. I am a Mtl Habs NHL hockey fan though (imagine that in the US, haha ) but Molson is so-so.

Ok, Moooose is Loose as we used to say, huh?
It's fine if you're a Habs fan and don't like Molson, Montrealers are partisan about our hockey team but not so much our big commercially brewed beers. Everyone knows Molson is kinda sh***y and no one would bat an eye at someone drinking some Alexander Keiths, Moosehead or Steamwhistle at the sports bar, even if something more local like Belle Guelle would be nice. Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure you were right about Moosehead being brewed in Saint John, NB (always with the Saint spelled out fully, so as to help differentiate it from St. John's, NL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Same here.

I drink Laker Ice, which is a "cheaper" brand. I guess not everyone thinks it's good, but I do. Plus it's 5.5%, so....that's good. lol

Steam whistle is nice, as well.

I USED to drink Sleeman Honey Brown. But it's expensive. Ice cold, to me, it's fantastic. But don't let it sit around.

It does look tasty, I've had it before and I thought it was pretty good. My absolute favourite Canadian beer (or actually, beer period) that I've ever had is a local Vancouver brew from Yaletown Brewing Company called Sasquatch Stout. If you're ever on the West Coast or have a chance to try that beer, I absolutely 100% recommend it, it's fabulous.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
A question I always ask Americans when they mention Molson: "Molson what?"

Here in Canada, Molson brews Molson Canadian, Molson Export, Molson Stock, Molson Dry, Molson 67, and likely one or two more I've forgotten (anybody know about Molson Ice and Molson XXX?) Then, there are regional ones: Molson Brador and Molson Laurentide were popular in Quebec, for example. Then there are the ones that are no longer brewed: Molson Light, Molson Golden, Molson Canadian Light, Molson Export Light, Molson Diamond, and Molson Special, among others.

Molson Exel is Molson's non-alcohol beer.

Not to mention the beers that Molson produces that aren't branded Molson: the Rickard's family of beers (Red, White, etc.), Coors Light, Old-Style Pilsner, and the Carling line of low-priced beers.

In Canada, Molson isn't a beer; it's a brewery producing a variety of beers. Which Molson are you talking about? (Maybe you could post or link to a photo of what you buy in your area--that might help us to identify it.)

I never ask, but I ALWAYS wonder when I read it.................."Is that just how it's labeled over there?" lol

Old 03-22-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:

Not saying that you are a hipster, Mags (who knows? maybe you are), but when I worked in the Brewer's Retail Warehouse in Toronto, back about 20+ years ago, Sleeman was a PITA.

It was the hipster beer then. And no good hipster ever drained the bottle--there would always be a quarter to a half-inch left in the bottle. Dregs, you know. So, the empties would sit around the bar/pub/restaurant/tavern/whatever, until the Beer Store delivered fresh beer and picked up the empties. After--in that clear glass bottle, open to the air--that quarter to half-inch had a good opportunity to grow mold, and other organisms.

When they made it back to the warehouse, they were my problem. The way we slammed cases of empties around, you'd be surprised. Unemptied bottles in open-top cases (which is how they were always returned) splashed all over--I'd clock out and go home stinking like a stale brewery. I never showered before going to work, I showered after. Never got too much splash-back from empty cases of Bud, Ex, Canadian, or Blue, but Sleeman--always splash-back with moldy beer.

I don't know how many nasty bugs or other organisms I was exposed to, but it must have triggered my immune system. No allergies, and very few colds since those days.

Just drain your Sleeman's. Pour the dregs down the drain if you want, but on behalf of current Beer Store employees, I ask that you don't return a Sleeman's bottle with a quarter to half-inch left.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:55 PM

And here I thought I liked you, Chevy.

Well, then that settles it. I finish my beer. I ain't no tight panted, tweed jacket, thick framed glasses with no lens', fedora wearin', star bucks mocha chino sipping, hipster.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
And here I thought I liked you, Chevy.

Well, then that settles it. I finish my beer. I ain't no tight panted, tweed jacket, thick framed glasses with no lens', fedora wearin', star bucks mocha chino sipping, hipster.
Hey. we're still pals. Just asking on behalf of those who came after me at the Beer Store, is all.

Like I said, it's been about 20 years since I last worked in a Beer Store. What is the hipster beer nowadays?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada