Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 07:49 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biramar View Post
The only place with a moderate weather in Canada, would be Vancouver but it seems a little shady to me coz I got words from a friend who went abroad to see the whole city last year, and he came back whinning about how dangerous and drug-happy the Vancouer was. Despite the intact nature and moderate climate.
This is not really an accurate picture of Vancouver. It's not dangerous at all and any drug-happiness there is relatively benign and good-natured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 07:54 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
The only place with a moderate weather in Canada, would be Vancouver but it seems a little shady to me coz I got words from a friend who went abroad to see the whole city last year, and he came back whinning about how dangerous and drug-happy the Vancouer was. Despite the intact nature and moderate climate.
About Vancouver, this is so refreshing to me, coz there's a saying back to where I live which states:
"Don't go for a beautiful flower (pansy) sorrounded by the backwaters in wetland"

You know what I mean. Vancouver with its moderate weather sorrounded in a very cold and arctic country of Canada. It's gotta be something (bad) about Vancouver and I don't wonder why.
it is childish to generalize an entire city as "drug happy". I am sure 95% of Vancouverites don't do drugs on a regular basis, and its consumption doesn't affect many people's life in any tangible way.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:34 AM

193 posts, read 216,743 times
as somebody who grew up in megalopolises in Asia and has lived in North America for 6 years (5 years in the US and 1 in Canada) i honestly cannot pinpoint to a difference in vibe. it's very similar culture and you are splitting hair if you were to differentiate.

it's not Canada vs US, it's more region vs region. I would say there are 3 major cases of regionalism that stand out in North America. 1) The Bible Belt : importance of religion over there 2) Quebec : Quebecois language and culture 3) NYC : due to size it's like nowhere else in North America and it can only be compared with London or Tokyo.

Last edited by jamesse; 03-26-2015 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: irrelevant information

Old 03-26-2015, 11:57 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Are you only interested in the United States and Canada? not Mexico?

Guadalajara and Mexico City are probably the most cultural rich safe cities in North America.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:21 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times
Quote:
Hi I am A guy straight out of a developing country in east europe and have been so fond of North American culture in the recent years, that I have never missed a single serie or a movie fresh out of that region.
So I am moving my ass over to that part of the world, but still ambivalent whether to choose Canada or U.S.

For me the CULTURE is a big issue, so I'm not looking for a higher income country to decide if I'll be choosing it or not. Only the Cultre&Attitudes of people matters.

I'd like to be in a country whose people have the best interest in the heart for new comers and have a better attitudes towards each other on the whole. And on top of that I like a smoothe! vibe, not a relentless kind of vibe.
I know for a fact that the U.S has it worse in this regard, (coz it's overcrowded), but is Canada the same?

How would you describe the Culture differences as a Canadadian? Any more suggestions?
Ever been unhappy of your Canadian vibe or your allegiance as a Canadian, and wanted to move to U.S because of "Culture" or more "Peice of mind"?
You live in (eastern) Europe and you find the US overcrowded? Where do you live?

By the way, congratulations on your English. Not bad for an eastern European! Where did you learn it?

Old 03-26-2015, 12:30 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times
Quote:
Hi I am A guy straight out of a developing country in east europe and have been so fond of North American culture in the recent years, that I have never missed a single serie or a movie fresh out of that region.
So I am moving my ass over to that part of the world, but still ambivalent whether to choose Canada or U.S.

For me the CULTURE is a big issue, so I'm not looking for a higher income country to decide if I'll be choosing it or not. Only the Cultre&Attitudes of people matters.

I'd like to be in a country whose people have the best interest in the heart for new comers and have a better attitudes towards each other on the whole. And on top of that I like a smoothe! vibe, not a relentless kind of vibe.
I know for a fact that the U.S has it worse in this regard, (coz it's overcrowded), but is Canada the same?

How would you describe the Culture differences as a Canadadian? Any more suggestions?
Ever been unhappy of your Canadian vibe or your allegiance as a Canadian, and wanted to move to U.S because of "Culture" or more "Peice of mind"?
Strange. In this thread, which you started, you claim to be from NJ. (see post #1)

Picking up the tourists by my own car?

Old 03-26-2015, 12:33 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesse View Post
as somebody who grew up in megalopolises in Asia and has lived in North America for 6 years (5 years in the US and 1 in Canada) i honestly cannot pinpoint to a difference in vibe. it's very similar culture and you are splitting hair if you were to differentiate.

it's not Canada vs US, it's more region vs region. I would say there are 3 major cases of regionalism that stand out in North America. 1) The Bible Belt : importance of religion over there 2) Quebec : Quebecois language and culture 3) NYC : due to size it's like nowhere else in North America and it can only be compared with London or Tokyo.
I think there is a lot of truth in this. For 90% of people living in most places life is extremely similar in Canada vs. the U.S. People on this forum might be a bit "special" (myself included) and may be more in tune with the subtle differences (which DO exist), but to the average person...

Old 03-26-2015, 07:34 PM

854 posts, read 1,481,603 times
I disagree about there not being a shared Canadian culture. People in Ontario are pretty much the same as people in Vancouver. Quebec and Newfoundland and of course the Inuit/First Nations areas would be their own thing of course.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:28 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
About Vancouver, this is so refreshing to me, coz there's a saying back to where I live which states:
"Don't go for a beautiful flower (pansy) sorrounded by the backwaters in wetland"

You know what I mean. Vancouver with its moderate weather sorrounded in a very cold and arctic country of Canada. It's gotta be something (bad) about Vancouver and I don't wonder why.
Really only true of a small area just east of the downtown. It's not really an accurate description of the city itself. There are also other cities in that region besides Vancouver, like the lovely and charming city of Victoria.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:54 AM

54 posts, read 74,472 times
So if the Two countries share a great resemblance in terms of their cultures, why the criminal rate in Canada is mush lower than the U.S? I reckon that only the upper north east and upper north west of the U.S are great places, given their economics, jobs opportunities, Cultures and pretty lower crime rates. I have never been keen on the middle and southern parts of the U.S that some call "Bible Belt" and "trigger-happy". (Though I like to see "Sweet home Alabama" and "All my Exes are living in Texas" someday!!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada