U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 08:51 AM

54 posts, read 62,145 times

Advertisements

Hi I am A guy straight out of a developing country in east europe and have been so fond of North American culture in the recent years, that I have never missed a single serie or a movie fresh out of that region.
So I am moving my ass over to that part of the world, but still ambivalent whether to choose Canada or U.S.

For me the CULTURE is a big issue, so I'm not looking for a higher income country to decide if I'll be choosing it or not. Only the Cultre&Attitudes of people matters.

I'd like to be in a country whose people have the best interest in the heart for new comers and have a better attitudes towards each other on the whole. And on top of that I like a smoothe! vibe, not a relentless kind of vibe.
I know for a fact that the U.S has it worse in this regard, (coz it's overcrowded), but is Canada the same?

How would you describe the Culture differences as a Canadadian? Any more suggestions?
Ever been unhappy of your Canadian vibe or your allegiance as a Canadian, and wanted to move to U.S because of "Culture" or more "Peice of mind"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 10:39 AM

21,942 posts, read 27,343,960 times
It depends what you have in mind.

If you're talking about "culture" in terms of movies, TV, films, literature, arts, traditions, sports, etc., then the U.S. is far more interesting culturally than Canada is. It is the world's biggest "power" in this area and has ten times the population of Canada.

If you are talking about a country that has a more relaxed, laid-back and non-aggressive, not-so-competitive culture, then yes Canada is probably better than the U.S. on this particular point.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:50 AM

285 posts, read 610,754 times
A "vibe" can be pretty subjective, and so much depends on where you are in a country.

To some extent, how you are received as a newcomer depends on where you move to. Big cities such as New York and Toronto are home to many immigrants, and you may be able to plug into a community of people from the old country...if that's what you want. Big cities in any country, however, are more likely to have a vibe that might seem relentless or aggressive. In general, small towns may seem more relaxed and laid-back.

If you move to Canada, you'll find plenty of US movies in the cinemas and plenty of US television shows on TV, often shown on US television stations.

There are hundreds of millions of people in the USA and tens of millions of people in Canada. You'll find friendly people and unfriendly people in both places. It depends on whom you meet and how you treat people.

Visit both countries. There is no substitute for that. Many Europeans fly to the United States and land in New York. Some love the hustle and bustle. Some hate the noise and the traffic and the very competitive vibe. Some love the Broadway shows and the variety of entertainment, food and people. Some visitors then go to Toronto after New York and think that it seems more mellow and not quite so big and bold. Many Canadians visit Toronto or move there and think it's aggressive and competitive and hate it.

Some people think small town life is wonderful, but younger people...especially younger single people get bored with it.

Unless you're independently wealthy, you'll still need a job of some sort. Focus on where you can get hired.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:33 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
If culture is so important to you, it is pretty funny you are even looking at US/Canada now.

But it is a vague question. The US is a massive country and its culture differ from one place to another, which you may or may not like. Canada is more like a thin sliver on top of the US, and in general has a culture similar to whichever US state neighbouring it, instead of having a "Canadian culture".

You really need to be more specific what kind of culture or lifestyle you want. But assuming you can choose either country, the US definitely offers more variety in terms of everything for you to choose from, from extremely open and liberal to dead backwater bible belt, from the most cosmopolitan city to secluded villages in the middle of nowhere.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:21 PM

34,374 posts, read 41,463,803 times
One possible benefit to consider is in the USA you can move to areas of the country that dont have winters,.may or may not play into your decision making.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=deep+...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

or

https://www.google.ca/search?q=deep+...orida+beaches+

Old 03-25-2015, 01:31 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,713,305 times
I like anywhere in the west... Canada and the United States.

Colorado, Utah, California, Arizona, Alberta, BC, Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada.

Beautiful national parks, wild west culture, native american culture, mexican influence, los angeles, las vegas, vancouver, rocky mountains....

Old 03-25-2015, 01:46 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,437,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I like anywhere in the west... Canada and the United States.

Colorado, Utah, California, Arizona, Alberta, BC, Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada.

Beautiful national parks, wild west culture, native american culture, mexican influence, los angeles, las vegas, vancouver, rocky mountains....
Hippies and potent strains...

Old 03-26-2015, 03:44 AM

Recitfy this vague notion I'm explaining here If it's wrong/right:
I saw a Video which portraits the loosenig up! culture of Canadian and how relaxed and easy-going they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY_c6I5qDro

I this Video I see Young st in Toronto with friendly people and lax folks who don't mind loosening up in the great vibe of Toronto and it feels like they are all tanked!
While in the U.S, say New York, what I get, is a relentless city with a few gang members hanging out somewhere in the cornors dealing drugs or having their guns locked and loaded, when push come to shove and people are always cautious about getting hit by them.

For the discussion sakes, I imagine the vibe of Canada to be more relaxing and easy and for those wealthy but socially INEPT! guys like me, Canada might be a one-stop destination. But still the Nostalgia of U.S and Bruce Springsteen (My favourite singer) makes me wanna close my eyes and be in there!

For now I am focussing on Portland for a place to live coz It seems to me a loosening up! place, crawling with hipsters and reluctant people who are extremely funny. Even the homeless people in Portland are enjoying their lives!

Old 03-26-2015, 07:22 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
^ Right now I am sitting right next to this square, and yes, we do see such street performance almost everyday during the warm days. A lot of interesting things.

However, this is probably the only public square where you have this all the time. The rest of the city is not that. Toronto is still a very business oriented city, although people are not as busy and fast faced as New York as you mentioned. Our streets are a lot less crowded too. However, NYC is an incredibly city, and it is not accurate to generalize it into a mix of finance gurus, bang members and guns. It is far more than that and IMO has a space for everyone.

Speaking of loosening up, Portland could be a good choice. In Canada, consider Montreal - I love everything about the city except the weather.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:38 AM

The only place with a moderate weather in Canada, would be Vancouver but it seems a little shady to me coz I got words from a friend who went abroad to see the whole city last year, and he came back whinning about how dangerous and drug-happy the Vancouer was. Despite the intact nature and moderate climate.
About Vancouver, this is so refreshing to me, coz there's a saying back to where I live which states:
"Don't go for a beautiful flower (pansy) sorrounded by the backwaters in wetland"

You know what I mean. Vancouver with its moderate weather sorrounded in a very cold and arctic country of Canada. It's gotta be something (bad) about Vancouver and I don't wonder why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or