U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 11:33 AM

12,681 posts, read 8,747,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Careful, Nat. Not listening to CBC radio doesn't make one a bad Canadian.

I've listened to CBC radio once or twice in my life, and I don't feel I'm missing anything if I don't listen to it. Hell, I listen to commercial radio exactly once a day: when my clock radio goes off in the morning. In that case, it's tuned to a local commercial station that gives me local news and weather (CBC gives me neither), fun contests, and great music in between.

If I listen to radio at other times, it's either satellite radio in my car (Sirius XM oldies from the 60s, 70s, and 80s), or Internet radio stations that allow me interaction with the host through Yahoo Messenger, Skype, or similar.

I'll admit it: I don't like CBC radio, so I don't listen to it. I have other choices. If CBC radio died tomorrow, it wouldn't make a jot of difference to me. Nat, you know me well enough by now; does not listening to CBC mean that I don't know Canada?
LOL. I was on a rant. You of course are correct. However I will say that listening to CBC radio is the only way many Canadians get an understanding of the country, from coast to coast to coast. No other radio network in Canada does that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 11:35 AM

21,940 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
LOL. I was on a rant. You of course are correct. However I will say that listening to CBC radio is the only way many Canadians get an understanding of the country, from coast to coast to coast. No other radio network in Canada does that.
Only way or "best way"? I'd agree with "best" BTW.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:09 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
possible of the world as well?
I find many Canadians largely misinformed about a lot of things. Keeping listening to the same media source is the best way to be brainwashed.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:15 PM

Now that I think of it, if you really want to know Canada well, ideally you have to access and understand both English and French language media source.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:29 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,006,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Now that I think of it, if you really want to know Canada well, ideally you have to access and understand both English and French language media source.
Agreed. That holds true for learning about the world outside of your country as well. You never really get a full understanding of someones culture and current events, if you do not competently read their language. Alot of what is reported is lost in translation when converted to English.

I do find CBC Radio to report on International news quite well overall, especially when compared to much of what else is out there written or broadcast by Canadian sources. Does that hold true when the English CBC Radio is dealing with Quebec? Or does it not measure up to the French version?

Old 04-02-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
. Does that hold true when the English CBC Radio is dealing with Quebec? Or does it not measure up to the French version?
CBC is probably the best of the lot in the English Canadian media when it comes to Quebec. Still, they're not in the business of confronting their listeners with certain inconvenient truths about themselves and their country, so to me at least it's still not as good as consuming media in French... just my two cents.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

I do find CBC Radio to report on International news quite well overall, especially when compared to much of what else is out there written or broadcast by Canadian sources.
The only place where English Canadian international news coverage appears to be relatively frequently biased is in its coverage of the U.S.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:48 PM

2,559 posts, read 2,178,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
possible of the world as well?
I find many Canadians largely misinformed about a lot of things. Keeping listening to the same media source is the best way to be brainwashed.
Botti do you even listen to CBC Radio? It's 99.1 FM in Toronto. Everyday they literally devote 2 whole hours of evening prime time programs to international news and analysis. It reminds me of BBC and National Public Radio in America, in terms of both quality and scope of content. Even for someone like me who've been subscribing to Financial Times and Wall Street Journal for the last 10 years, CBC Radio is really high quality.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:53 PM

12,681 posts, read 8,747,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This I agree with.

Also get out and see the country.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:03 PM

12 posts, read 9,631 times
Default My observation

Hi everyone, f100 thanks for making this very fascinating thread! I attended McGill University (and accordingly spent about 5 years in Montreal), but I will write my observations on English-speaking Canada. This is because the differences between the US and Quebec are a lot more obvious and quite easy to spot.

- Canadian accents, yes they can be very strong. Some people still throw me aback with a strong Canadian accent, others sound indistinguishable from Americans.

- Very few black people and black American culture although is somewhat present (look at Justin Bieber and Drake) is very diluted, similar to if you visit the UK. People listen to hip-hop, rock n' roll and jazz, they say "what's up" and wear backwards hats, but it seems to be more imitation than actual participation in the culture. This stands out immediately. Kind of like "Wow where'd all the black folks go?". The areas with the least black citizens in America would have the largest presences in Canada. IMHO this is the biggest difference between America and Canada, it is striking.

- Expensive, expensive! Talk about sticker shock, prices were so high!

- Monarchy. This is striking to me since we have not had one since 1776, and the other countries in North/South America do not have one. It is interesting seeing images of the British monarchy in Canada. I remember going in to an office of a gentleman in Ottawa and he had a picture of a British monarch. On another note, a friend of mine has an elderly father in his 80's who lives with him, and in his room his father has a picture of the British monarch. Also names like "the Royal Academcy of xxxxx" and street names like "Queen street" are the kinds of things that stand out.

- People are a bit shorter. I am about 6' 3" and I felt about an inch taller there. I always came across fewer men my height. There are also more dark haired people and a lot less naturally golden blonds.

- Lack of beach culture - this is one doesn't factor into Canadian life as much as here. Even in places like the midwest PacSun culture penetrates more, but in Canada this seemed absent and there was less of a summer culture in general. Even in Michigan and Massachussetts I see more people wearing shorts and tank tops than in Ontario with similar weather.

- Here is one of my pet peeves though. There is a sense of conformity. I don't feel like Canada has the atmosphere that is open to new ideas. Political beliefs shouldn't be talked about beyond some basics unless you affirming that you agreement with the way things already are, religion should be kept to yourself or a trusted friend/family member, beliefs that stray are frowned upon. I had no problem with political beliefs there but always felt pressure to express the PC view in a way I never had before.

- French names and some small influence is felt. This can be seen in names especially, there are so many French last names, and French placenames, as well as instances of government bilingualism on packaging, and so on. We have French on packaging sometimes, and Spanish sometimes too, but it is not the standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or