Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 08:55 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
What again is the difference between Cajuns and Creoles? I know Cajuns are/were mostly rural folks, but are Creoles always multiracial (but either urban or rural) or is that a misconception?
I'm no expert on this as I'm just a Canadian history buff, not a Louisianian, but as far as I understand Creole was a term for someone born in colonial Louisiana and of the local culture, as opposed to French from Europe or elsewhere in the empire. It had nothing to do with race, anyone of Louisiana was a Creole. The Cajuns were "different" because they weren't from France, but they weren't from the Louisiana culture either, they were refugee Acadians from a totally different North American French colonial culture and they went and lived in their own communities which were culturally distinct from those of the local Creoles, and they remained distinct. The Creoles mixed with one another relatively freely of race, whereas the Cajuns were fairly ethnically homogenous to begin with, mostly French with a bit of Micmaq from generations past, and remained so as they kept to themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 11:42 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,404,637 times
Who do Canadians have a better relationship with: the UK or the USA? I know the British queen is still in charge, but as Canada officially is independent, while being dependent on the USA for many resources, I am curious.

And do Canadians (let's ignore Quebec at this moment) today agree with the American Revolution? I know it was Canadians' ancestors on the British side, but the world has changed since then.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:42 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Who do Canadians have a better relationship with: the UK or the USA? I know the British queen is still in charge, but as Canada officially is independent, while being dependent on the USA for many resources, I am curious.
*sigh* How many times do we really need to repeat this?

Canada does not have a "British queen." Canada has a head of state, styled "Queen Elizabeth II"; and under Canada's constitution, she is not British. As she just happens to live outside Canada, she is represented in Canada by a Governor-General (GG),who lives in Canada full-time, and who has her authority to sign bills on her behalf. When she (or the GG) acts in Canadian affairs, she does so on the advice of the Canadian Parliament--not the UK's. That does not make her (or the GG) subject to anybody but Canada when she assents to bills passed by the Canadian parliament. Thus, to Canada, she is not the UK's queen (nor is she Australia's or New Zealand's); she is Canada's queen. Politically speaking, Canada is a constitutional monarchy.

That being said, Canada and the US have a long, friendly, and healthy relationship, Yes, after the War of 1812, we've been good friends ever since. In the early part of the 20th century, we crossed the border freely, looking for work, which is why, to this day, I have relatives in the US (Washington, Nevada, and New Jersey, in my case). We've fought beside each other, on D-Day, and in the First Special Service Squadron (that is, the "Devil's Brigade"), we both fought in Afghanistan, we are both founding members of NATO, and we are joint partners in NORAD. Note that at all times, the US treated us as an independent country; not as a "British" dependency.

As time passed, things clamped down, but I do recall telling a US border guard at the Port Huron, Michigan crossing, "I'm Canadian and I'm driving to Denver Colorado," and being told, "Thanks and enjoy your trip" No papers, no paperwork, no passports, no nothing.

That all changed after 9/11. Thanks to the idiotic and incorrect claims of certain American lawmakers that the 9/11 hijackers came into the US through Canada (which has been disproved over and over), the US tightened up its requirements for Canadian citizens. Now, we have to show a passport. My own feeling is that this is unnecessary, we can do like we did before, but I have no voice in Congress.

At any rate, we're closer to the US than we are to the UK. In 1983, I showed my passport to a UK officer, and was admitted. Later that year, on a visit to the US, I didn't, but was still admitted. That ought to say something.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:02 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
*sigh* How many times do we really need to repeat this?

Canada does not have a "British queen." Canada has a head of state, styled "Queen Elizabeth II"; and under Canada's constitution, she is not British. As she just happens to live outside Canada, she is represented in Canada by a Governor-General (GG),who lives in Canada full-time, and who has her authority to sign bills on her behalf. When she (or the GG) acts in Canadian affairs, she does so on the advice of the Canadian Parliament--not the UK's. That does not make her (or the GG) subject to anybody but Canada when she assents to bills passed by the Canadian parliament. Thus, to Canada, she is not the UK's queen (nor is she Australia's or New Zealand's); she is Canada's queen. Politically speaking, Canada is a constitutional monarchy.

That being said, Canada and the US have a long, friendly, and healthy relationship, Yes, after the War of 1812, we've been good friends ever since. In the early part of the 20th century, we crossed the border freely, looking for work, which is why, to this day, I have relatives in the US (Washington, Nevada, and New Jersey, in my case). We've fought beside each other, on D-Day, and in the First Special Service Squadron (that is, the "Devil's Brigade"), we both fought in Afghanistan, we are both founding members of NATO, and we are joint partners in NORAD. Note that at all times, the US treated us as an independent country; not as a "British" dependency.

As time passed, things clamped down, but I do recall telling a US border guard at the Port Huron, Michigan crossing, "I'm Canadian and I'm driving to Denver Colorado," and being told, "Thanks and enjoy your trip" No papers, no paperwork, no passports, no nothing.

That all changed after 9/11. Thanks to the idiotic and incorrect claims of certain American lawmakers that the 9/11 hijackers came into the US through Canada (which has been disproved over and over), the US tightened up its requirements for Canadian citizens. Now, we have to show a passport. My own feeling is that this is unnecessary, we can do like we did before, but I have no voice in Congress.

At any rate, we're closer to the US than we are to the UK. In 1983, I showed my passport to a UK officer, and was admitted. Later that year, on a visit to the US, I didn't, but was still admitted. That ought to say something.
Chevy!

Full tact, diplomacy and reasoned restraint marks for addressing all but the "dependant upon the USA, for many resources" meme.

You crafted your response to effectively educate yet another ignorant boob on the facts of Canada's political system viv-a-vis monarchial influence while completely ignoring that silly nonsense about us being dependent upon them for resources of any kind.

That type of restraint from taking arrogant idiots to task takes years of practice and application.

I too have learned to couch my..................oh wait.................................oh well .

Old 04-06-2015, 10:42 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Progressive Conservatives

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Old 04-06-2015, 10:45 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Why is Quebec left wing if Maine (including the many migrants from Quebec there) is a very right wing US state?

Same-sex marriage was legalized in Maine by the voters.

Same-sex marriage in Maine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, church attendance in Maine is among the lowest in the US.

Gallup: Church attendance in Maine still among the lowest in America | #Maine

Old 04-06-2015, 11:59 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Isn't that an oxymoron?
Not in Canada. On the social side, their ideology was historically Christian social values, British Imperialism, Canadian Nationalism, and constitutional centralism. Unlike the old school Liberals they opposed government rollback of intervention in the social AND economic spheres. As the 20th century went on this approach didn't change that much, and they continued to support mercantilism and notions of the welfare state. So basically they were/are social conservatives and economic centrists. There are still Progressive Conservative parties at the provincial levels even if the federal party was subsumed.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:12 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I'm no expert on this as I'm just a Canadian history buff, not a Louisianian, but as far as I understand Creole was a term for someone born in colonial Louisiana and of the local culture, as opposed to French from Europe or elsewhere in the empire. It had nothing to do with race, anyone of Louisiana was a Creole. The Cajuns were "different" because they weren't from France, but they weren't from the Louisiana culture either, they were refugee Acadians from a totally different North American French colonial culture and they went and lived in their own communities which were culturally distinct from those of the local Creoles, and they remained distinct. The Creoles mixed with one another relatively freely of race, whereas the Cajuns were fairly ethnically homogenous to begin with, mostly French with a bit of Micmaq from generations past, and remained so as they kept to themselves.
This is pretty good. I do think the Creoles do have a fairly strong French component to their heritage (look at the surnames they tend to have for examples), but it's a totally different Frenchness than that of the Cajuns.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:19 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,404,637 times
Just wondering... have Canadians ever thought about having a president instead of the queen/governor general/prime minister arrangement? It seems so needlessly complicated compared to the American style of democracy. And isn't it kind of insulting to Canadians that the head of state has a British accent and you don't? I also really think Quebec would mend its differences with the rest of the nation if it became a republic. I realize Australia and New Zealand are way closer to the British culturally than Canada is, so for those countries I do think staying with the queen makes sense. Both of them are a mirror image of the UK: they share its accent, drive on the left (despite most of Europe and Asia, with the notable exception of Japan, driving on the right), and still have the British flag in their national flags.

Fun fact: the Burger King chain has been known in Australia by the alternative name Hungry Jack's for over 40 years, and the founder of Hungry Jack's is a Canadian.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:24 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
I also really think Quebec would mend its differences with the rest of the nation if it became a republic. .
The Quebec vs. rest of Canada thing is not really related to the Queen and the monarchy at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada