U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 08:52 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,176,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
OMG ! A new building?!?!?!? With water fountains???? Can't they just meet at Timmies??? They have free WIFI now!
OMG WHY DOES A NEW BUILDING NEED TO COST $1.2 BILLION WHEN THEY HAVE A PERFECTLY USABLE BUILDING RIGHT NOW?

Bro, sarcasm doesn't go down well with tax payers when you waste $1.2 billion on a single building and use the "national security" excuse to cover up any cost over-runs.

And pray tell us, how is this in anyway being fiscally responsible for our hard-earned money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 12:12 PM

8,563 posts, read 11,062,540 times
Am I the only one that doesn't see an issue with this? As Canadians we generally have our mortgage set for periods from six months to five to seven years, then amortized over 25 years. You have to re-negotiate a new mortgage all the time.

So 11 times over 30+ years including periods of double digit interest. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. About three years a pop on average. That isn't even news.

Now of course that I'm in the US and have 2 5/8% for thirty years, it will be a cold day in hell before I renegotiate.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:37 PM

12,668 posts, read 8,737,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
There was a financial meltdown in 2008-09, havent you heard ?

US banks, car makers going under, US economy grinding to a halt> bail out money left and right

Leftists screaming for more and more stimulus $ from the feds, so he obliged but still kept that deficit down near 1% of GDP which is a feat in by itself....look again at those numbers you linked

You can pin a lot of sins on Stephen Harper but excessive spending sure aint one of them
One of the reasons Canada's banking system and housing market survived is because of the regulations we have. Harper was all about changing those regulations. If Harper had gotten his way, Canada would of been in even a worse mess.

He then had the audacity to claim it was HIS stewardship that prevented this.

Harper economic record is extremely poor.

Here's an article about his push for deregulation before the economic troubles.

How Harper Gov't Pushed Financial Deregulation Here, Abroad | The Tyee

Here's an article about his mismanagement of the economy.

Harper and the illusion of economic management | Toronto Star

Leftist? Sheesh. Someone using that term only proves to me how extreme they must be on the opposite side.

I should add, that it's people all over the spectrum, politically speaking, that are questioning Harper and his leadership.

Last edited by Natnasci; 04-06-2015 at 01:02 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 02:14 PM

732 posts, read 853,001 times
Deregulations would have been a mistake , I' ll give you that but nowhere near the catastrophic effect
the subprime mortgage caused in the US.

Now PM Harper would never have gone for that, not his style more like bleeding heart Democrats who believed that everyone should be able to own their own home.

Their undying faith in mankind was their Achilles heel.

Canada suffered greatly during this last recession due to the exodus of industry (especially in Ontario) and the heavy slowdown of cross border trade with the US.

The revenue stream was severely cut down.

PM Harper and his team effectively did what most responsible governments do......
He maximized revenue streams through trade deals and by capitalizing on our resource sector as well as making necessary cutbacks.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:29 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,204,963 times
1/2 of the posts in this thread are OFF TOPIC. If you want to complain about the new "spy palace" please start a new topic about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or