Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 05:31 PM

678 posts, read 875,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Didn't your mother teach you that when you get a compliment, you just say "Thank You "
Tell that to the vast number of Canadians. They can't accept a compliment.
There's already so many people putting America on a pedestal, so I'm just trying to give the credit where it's due
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Who cares about the opinion of a nation of people so blindly ignorant and brainwashed that they overwhelmingly dislike Iran, a country that poses absolutely no threat to the U.S., when many other nations do actually pose a threat to the well-being of the U.S. population (such as Saudi Arabia) yet the brainwashed sheep follow exactly what Fox News tells them.
America: Insult their country and they will agree with you.
Canada: Compliment their country and they will argue with you.
Seems legit.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:38 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
Tell that to the vast number of Canadians. They can't accept a compliment.
There's already so many people putting America on a pedestal, so I'm just trying to give the credit where it's due
I agree - there are some Canadians in here who front this balanced and objective narrative but by and large the essence of their posts are almost always dismissive of the country.. Perhaps those are the one's who truly fit the 'inferiority complex' syndrome.. I almost find it laughable that they hurl such accusations at moi..

Anyway dude - I appreciate the credit you bestow upon us... Much of it is deserved

Old 04-16-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I agree - there are some Canadians in here who front this balanced and objective narrative but by and large the essence of their posts are almost always dismissive of the country.. Perhaps those are the one's who truly fit the 'inferiority complex' syndrome.. I almost find it laughable that they hurl such accusations at moi..

Anyway dude - I appreciate the credit you bestow upon us... Much of it is deserved
You're very welcome. But unfortunately I'm slowly beginning to forget about moving to Canada on a whole even though it's been my desire for a while. I guess I have this forum to thank for that. I've always saw it as a generally decent country with a clean reputation, which is worth a lot for me, but I don't wanna live in a country where people are insecure, ashamed, and feel the need to compare themselves to someone else all the time. I'm in a MMO RPG klan team with 10 Americans and 4 Canadians and at least 1 and a half of the Canadians fit the inferiority complex description so I keep on encountering it. Even when I went to Britain and Australia neither of them gave 2 dusty f*cks about America or ever mentioning it, which was very very very comforting. I want to move out of America of course, but at least Americans aren't so bitter when it comes to being complimented, at least not right away. Mainly I just wanted to GTFO California but waiting until I finish my BA which is in 2 months. I might end up just aiming for Seattle, as it seems like the party is wild there in terms of jobs/economy/etc. that way I can always spend a weekend in Vancouver and enjoy the city for a day or two. That way I can have best of both worlds. I hope it works out.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:21 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
^^^

Oh man - c'mmooonn yer seriously making a decision based on a forum or what is this a MMO RPG Klan team.. Holy smokes I think this is making a decision based on such a small amount of information.. Sorry but C/D Canada forums a cross section of Canada - not so much i'm sorry but its true.. This is a niche group in here and very small one at that - small number of regulars and rehashed 'newbies'.. Limited representation of the country... Anyway, I don't know if you've visited but by all means visit for awhile and at least make a more informed opinion of the people here.. If not to move just for the opportunity to either confirm or deny your conclusion.. I strongly believe you'll end up checking off the 'deny' check box - but hey, the choice is always up to the individual.. With anything though, avoid those generalizations and broad based conclusions based on very limited input.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
^^^

Oh man - c'mmooonn yer seriously making a decision based on a forum or what is this a MMO RPG Klan team.. Holy smokes I think this is making a decision based on such a small amount of information.. Sorry but C/D Canada forums a cross section of Canada - not so much i'm sorry but its true.. This is a niche group in here and very small one at that - small number of regulars and rehashed 'newbies'.. Limited representation of the country... Anyway, I don't know if you've visited but by all means visit for awhile and at least make a more informed opinion of the people here.. If not to move just for the opportunity to either confirm or deny your conclusion.. I strongly believe you'll end up checking off the 'deny' check box - but hey, the choice is always up to the individual.. With anything though, avoid those generalizations and broad based conclusions based on very limited input.
I totally agree with you. I know I shouldn't be so easily affected, BUT it's kinda hard when so many people keep telling you the same thing. As I see it right now, the expensiveness of Canada doesn't scare me as I already live in an expensive part of America... The main thing that I'm skeptical about is finding a job, which most of them seem to be hidden in most cities, leaving Toronto as the only best option since it's the biggest city, and IMO, the most desirable out of all of them as it offers a true global package with the highest chance of meeting people from all walks of life (didn't see that much in Van when I went there).
But yeah, recent forum posts have been depressing and it's hard to ignore, but we'll see how I feel in the near future after I finish school.
I find that most people who talk about moving out of their home country never actually do it, and I don't want to become one of those people.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:35 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
You're very welcome. But unfortunately I'm slowly beginning to forget about moving to Canada on a whole even though it's been my desire for a while. I guess I have this forum to thank for that. I've always saw it as a generally decent country with a clean reputation, which is worth a lot for me, but I don't wanna live in a country where people are insecure, ashamed, and feel the need to compare themselves to someone else all the time.
Sadly, it seems that our resident troll has done his/her work: Don, you see us as insecure and ashamed, and feel the need to continually compare ourselves to the US.

Nonsense. Of course, to a degree, the "continually compare" claim is true; there really is nobody else in the world like us in lifestyle and culture, except the US, so comparisons are inevitable. And unfortunately, there is a subset of Canadians who, given the chance, will knock the US and Americans down at every opportunity. But I'd suggest that they are the minority. My ex-wife was from the US, and most Canadians, upon learning that, had more questions for her than they did knocks. (I did like the Canadian who asked her, seriously, upon learning that she was from Colorado, "Did you know John Denver?") The fact that she was American rolled off our friends' backs; any new acquaintances who took her to task over US foreign policy, or similar, didn't become friends.

But insecure and ashamed? I don't find that. Rather, I find that we know our place in the world: we are a middle-power that sees no need to become a major one. In spite of what our American friends claim, we're defended more by geography than by military might. Anybody who wanted to attack us would expend a lot of effort to do so; we are so hard to get to, and the lessons of history are there: Napoleon failed to take Moscow because of winter, Hitler failed to take Moscow because of winter, and in the same vein, I'd suggest that anybody who wanted to take Toronto would fail, because of winter. The winter is a PITA, but it is also our friend, defensively. We're pretty secure.

And "ashamed'? Ashamed of what? Our scientific achievements (insulin, Penfield's work in mapping the brain, winter wheat, Yukon Gold potatoes, Pablum); our Nobel Prize winners (Lester Pearson, Saul Bellow, Alice Munro, among others); our engineering achievements (CN Tower, Skydome, Confederation Bridge); our constitution (our Charter has had a great influence on emerging political systems, such as South Africa's post-apartheid); and our sports achievements (hockey of course, but also in skiing, figure skating, and shooting)? We've hosted three Olympic Games, provided engineers who helped land a man on the moon to NASA, been a member of the UN since its inception, provided peacekeepers to world hotspots, fought in two World Wars, and in the Korean police action, (and in Gulf War I and Afghanistan), were the third country to have a satellite in space (after the US and USSR). With all that, and more, what do we have to be ashamed of?

Quote:
... As I see it right now, the expensiveness of Canada doesn't scare me as I already live in an expensive part of America....
That's overblown. To an American, Canada is expensive. To a Canadian, it's normal. Canadians do not spend every waking hour planning their next trip to the US for cheap stuff--most of us happily trundle off the to local retailer, get what we want for whatever the retailer is asking, and happily head home with our purchase. We don't stop to think, "What are they paying in the US for this?" Well, some of us do, but I'd suggest that most of us have better things to do with our time than concern ourselves with what Americans are paying for a gallon of milk, a pound of bacon, or a gallon of gas.

Quote:
The main thing that I'm skeptical about is finding a job, which most of them seem to be hidden in most cities, leaving Toronto as the only best option since it's the biggest city, and IMO, the most desirable out of all of them as it offers a true global package with the highest chance of meeting people from all walks of life (didn't see that much in Van when I went there).
There is a lot more to Canada than Toronto; but I will agree, it can be hard to crack the hidden job market in any city, anywhere. What kind of job are you looking for, and what kind of experience, in regards to meeting people from all walks of life, do you hope to have?

Old 04-17-2015, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Sadly, it seems that our resident troll has done his/her work: Don, you see us as insecure and ashamed, and feel the need to continually compare ourselves to the US.

Nonsense. Of course, to a degree, the "continually compare" claim is true; there really is nobody else in the world like us in lifestyle and culture, except the US, so comparisons are inevitable. And unfortunately, there is a subset of Canadians who, given the chance, will knock the US and Americans down at every opportunity. But I'd suggest that they are the minority. My ex-wife was from the US, and most Canadians, upon learning that, had more questions for her than they did knocks. (I did like the Canadian who asked her, seriously, upon learning that she was from Colorado, "Did you know John Denver?") The fact that she was American rolled off our friends' backs; any new acquaintances who took her to task over US foreign policy, or similar, didn't become friends.

But insecure and ashamed? I don't find that. Rather, I find that we know our place in the world: we are a middle-power that sees no need to become a major one. In spite of what our American friends claim, we're defended more by geography than by military might. Anybody who wanted to attack us would expend a lot of effort to do so; we are so hard to get to, and the lessons of history are there: Napoleon failed to take Moscow because of winter, Hitler failed to take Moscow because of winter, and in the same vein, I'd suggest that anybody who wanted to take Toronto would fail, because of winter. The winter is a PITA, but it is also our friend, defensively. We're pretty secure.

And "ashamed'? Ashamed of what? Our scientific achievements (insulin, Penfield's work in mapping the brain, winter wheat, Yukon Gold potatoes, Pablum); our Nobel Prize winners (Lester Pearson, Saul Bellow, Alice Munro, among others); our engineering achievements (CN Tower, Skydome, Confederation Bridge); our constitution (our Charter has had a great influence on emerging political systems, such as South Africa's post-apartheid); and our sports achievements (hockey of course, but also in skiing, figure skating, and shooting)? We've hosted three Olympic Games, provided engineers who helped land a man on the moon to NASA, been a member of the UN since its inception, provided peacekeepers to world hotspots, fought in two World Wars, and in the Korean police action, (and in Gulf War I and Afghanistan), were the third country to have a satellite in space (after the US and USSR). With all that, and more, what do we have to be ashamed of?

That's overblown. To an American, Canada is expensive. To a Canadian, it's normal. Canadians do not spend every waking hour planning their next trip to the US for cheap stuff--most of us happily trundle off the to local retailer, get what we want for whatever the retailer is asking, and happily head home with our purchase. We don't stop to think, "What are they paying in the US for this?" Well, some of us do, but I'd suggest that most of us have better things to do with our time than concern ourselves with what Americans are paying for a gallon of milk, a pound of bacon, or a gallon of gas.

There is a lot more to Canada than Toronto; but I will agree, it can be hard to crack the hidden job market in any city, anywhere. What kind of job are you looking for, and what kind of experience, in regards to meeting people from all walks of life, do you hope to have?
Chevy, In no way did I mean to insult Canadians at all, So I apologize if it came off that way.
I just wish that more Canadians would remember the fact that 98 percent of Americans don't even know that Canada exists, so the attention is not mutual.
I have always had positive thoughts about Canada and it's people, but if my compliments go unnoticed, let alone rebuffed, then I am automatically going to respond the same way.
I'm sure as you would know, people exaggerrate, especially Canadians. I'm glad to hear that you told me that not all Canadians feel the same way, and I hope it's true. But after countless people fitting my "ashamed and insecure description" it's hard not to think it.
The kind of job I'm looking for is in the HR/recruiting/administrative field. I know as a recent college grad and as an American I won't have good chances in a competetive city like Toronto.
As for right now, I can't say that my desire to relocate to Canada is as strong as it was before, because of this forum. Right now I'm kinda just going with the flow and not expecting much.
However, Thanks for your post. It was very refreshing.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:58 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Chevy, In no way did I mean to insult Canadians at all, So I apologize if it came off that way.
No problem, Don. Your remarks are valid, IMHO.

Quote:
I just wish that more Canadians would remember the fact that 98 percent of Americans don't even know that Canada exists, so the attention is not mutual.
Oh, pfft. We are all well aware that the US, as a whole, is unaware of us, so we deal. I do wish that various American Powers-That-Be would understand that Canada is a real country, and that my Canadian passport is good enough to get a beer at Mile-High Stadium in Denver. But apparently, it took a manager (who knew their geopolitics) to tell the beer seller that Canada is a real country ("you may have heard of it before" as the manager told the employee), and that a Canadian passport was valid ID for the purposes of selling beer.

Yes, a manager was actually required to determine that Canada was a real country, and a Canadian-passport-bearing Canadian citizen was allowed to use his passport to have a beer at a sports stadium in Denver when asked for proof of ID to determine that he was old enough to have one. Apparently, the American beer-seller was too stupid to realize that Canada is a sovereign country, that as a Canadian, I could not be expected to have a Colorado driver's license, that Canada's passports are good enough for the US government and by their authority, admit me to the US, and thus should be good enough for the state of Colorado, and that ... well, you can figure out the rest.

Don, is it any wonder that Canadians like to make fun of the US? We'd easily accept a (say) NY state driver's license as proof of age, or a Montana driver's license, or a Colorado driver's license; but for a US state, such as Colorado, to question a Canadian passport--a document that is accepted as proof of identity worldwide, no questions asked, including by the US government itself--yeah, when that state doubts us when all we want is a beer to go along with the football game at Mile High--we're going to make fun of that state, and of the US as a whole.

In fairness to the US federal government, I have no problems. But for the state of Colorado to question my age, and my identity, even after providing a Canadian passport--and then the beer-seller claiming that they did not know what "Canada" was? Yeah, seriously. Is it any wonder Canadians hold Americans in such contempt?

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 04-17-2015 at 04:14 AM..

Old 04-17-2015, 05:36 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
I can think of at least six Americans who would tell you the value of a Canadian passport after using them to have their azzes smuggled out of Iran courtesy of the Canadian Government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada