U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 01:11 AM

5,691 posts, read 6,535,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
Here it is April 5th, and the forecast is for snow today and more snow tomorrow morning. Temperatures hovering around 6 degrees (42 F) for the weekly forecast. Montreal, the self appointed San Diego of Canada is 0 right now (32 F) with a low of 5 (22 F). I'm here in Winnipeg, in the extreme geographic south of this fine country, hugging the US border. It's -3 right now (25 F) and with lows all under freezing all week. Vancouver, the self appointed Miami of Canada is enjoying it's usual cool temperatures.

If you call this spring time you are a sucker.
Is this your first winter/spring in Manitoba? Because I'd hate to be the one to tell you that this is an early spring for us. It has been a weird winter/spring in Manitoba with temperatures up and down but it wasn't a severe winter. We had an unofficial 18C here a couple of days ago (I think the official temp was 15 or 16C). I noticed my grape vines were setting out green shoots. I have no idea what the sudden colder snap has done to that though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 07:48 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Guys, you can call out the OP's geographic mistakes all you want, but he is right about Canada's weather - it is fre*king cold.

Here in southern Ontario, the entire Feb has been a frigid month, March a very cold one and now even in April you see flurries and people wear down jackets on the streets. All my friends elsewhere are posting photos of flowers and green trees on various social media, and they are wearing nothing but a light jacket or just a shirt, and here people wear scarves and hats like it is in the middle of January! The trees are completely bare without the slightest signs of spring. And the weather forecast still shows windchill! Can I say again it is APRIL???

Yes, coast BC is not that bad, but that's a small part of Canada. The remaining 90% are still in winter - actually right now, at 0-5C, it is about the January temperature you would typically see in most other places in the northern hemisphere. My friend in Montreal posted a photo of her city under a snow storm yesterday, and thank God Toronto just had a few flurries. Yes Nordic countries are similarly cold, but they all have small population (well, considering the weather, why should anyone be surprised?)

Even not so far away in Pittsburgh, it is already 20C for a few days and would remain 17-23 degrees in the next ten days, while here we are stuck around 5. Chicago seems to be considerably warmer (by 8 degrees more) than Toronto.

Canada may have so many good things about it, but the miserable weather largely cancels much of the it - at least for myself - so much so that I will not be able to like my life here as much as I want to.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:49 AM

8,582 posts, read 11,070,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Winnipeg may be in the extreme south of Manitoba. But the extreme south of Canada is in Ontario: namely Point Pelee. Roughly on the same latitude as northern California.

I'm in southern Alberta, north of the 49th. Nobody here believes that we are in "the extreme south of Canada." That's southern Ontario.
I totally agree, but being the pedantic bastard that I am...

Geographically, you're in the extreme south of the country. Canada is about 4600 KM north to south. If you're within 230 KM of the border, that's less than 5% "inland".

Regardless, I wouldn't classify Winnipeg as the representative measuring point for much when compared to the rest of Canada.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:23 AM

325 posts, read 295,118 times
Two things:

1 - I accidentally typed San Diego of Canada when talking about Montreal, I was going to type about Vancouver, sorry about that

2 - Winnipeg is in the extreme south of Canada, or would you prefer I saw deep south? It's right on the US border. It's in the extreme south just like New Orleans is in the deep south of the US. Yes Florida and a piece Texas are more southern but it's still below 95% of the country. Winnipeg is south of 90+ percent of Canada. All Canadians live in the extreme south except for a handful, that should say all you need to know about the weather.

Look at the difference between the "cold" northern cities in the US. You may have heard some Toronto natives delude themselves into thinking they have the same weather as these places.

New York City high of 18 today

Washington DC high of 24 today

Chicago high of 15 today

Boston high of 11 today

Minneapolis high of 7 today

Toronto high of 6 today

Montreal high of 4 today with snow

Quebec City high of 3 today

Winnipeg high of 4 today

Calgary high of 2 with snow

This is April. Kudos to you Botticelli for being honest with yourself.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:50 AM

2,559 posts, read 2,178,337 times
Quote:
Two things:

1 - I accidentally typed San Diego of Canada when talking about Montreal, I was going to type about Vancouver, sorry about that

2 - Winnipeg is in the extreme south of Canada, or would you prefer I saw deep south? It's right on the US border. It's in the extreme south just like New Orleans is in the deep south of the US. Yes Florida and a piece Texas are more southern but it's still below 95% of the country. Winnipeg is south of 90+ percent of Canada. All Canadians live in the extreme south except for a handful, that should say all you need to know about the weather.

Look at the difference between the "cold" northern cities in the US. You may have heard some Toronto natives delude themselves into thinking they have the same weather as these places.

New York City high of 18 today

Washington DC high of 24 today

Chicago high of 15 today

Boston high of 11 today

Minneapolis high of 7 today

Toronto high of 6 today

Montreal high of 4 today with snow

Quebec City high of 3 today

Winnipeg high of 4 today

Calgary high of 2 with snow

This is April. Kudos to you Botticelli for being honest with yourself.
Dude DC is not a "northern" city lol. It's practically Virginia and DC rarely even gets snow.

Interesting why you'd use "today" as your sample. Weather patterns and temperatures vary vastly from day to day, depending on the region you are in. Coming from Boston, Toronto's weather pretty much mimics that of Boston throughout the year with very very minimal differences.

Also, what exactly is your complaint? That we admit that Canada is a cold country. For god's sake I don't think anyone here is deluding themselves into thinking we are SoCal or DC or North Carolina. Complaining about mother nature isn't going to make your life here any more happy or satisfying.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Dude DC is not a "northern" city lol. It's practically Virginia and DC rarely even gets snow.

Interesting why you'd use "today" as your sample. Weather patterns and temperatures vary vastly from day to day, depending on the region you are in. Coming from Boston, Toronto's weather pretty much mimics that of Boston throughout the year with very very minimal differences.

Also, what exactly is your complaint? That we admit that Canada is a cold country. For god's sake I don't think anyone here is deluding themselves into thinking we are SoCal or DC or North Carolina. Complaining about mother nature isn't going to make your life here any more happy or satisfying.
DC looks northern to me and that's what Americans say but being from Germany I will take your word. It receives 15 inches of snow every year, I wouldn't call that "rarely". That is a regular winter occurrence. Anyways it's pointless. Here is today's forecast for three "northern" cities nearby DC.

Philadelphia: High of 23 today

Baltimore: High of 23 today

Pittsburgh high of 21 today

I have heard plenty of people in TO say 'but...our weather is almost the same as Philadelphia". Botticelli nailed it.

Last edited by modernrebel; 04-06-2015 at 09:30 AM..

Old 04-06-2015, 09:29 AM

6,235 posts, read 5,898,133 times
Yes, and that's why I keep seeing all of you guys here in Florida for the winter! And it is supposed to be 85 today!

Old 04-06-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
DC looks northern to me and that's what Americans say but being from Germany I will take your word. It receives 15 inches of snow every year, I wouldn't call that "rarely". That is a regular winter occurrence. Anyways it's pointless. Here is today's forecast for three "northern" cities nearby DC.

Philadelphia: High of 23 today

Baltimore: High of 23 today

New York high of 18 today

Pittsburgh high of 21 today

I have heard plenty of people in TO say 'but...our weather is almost the same as Philadelphia". Botticelli nailed it.
I'm actually flying back to Boston in 3 hours, and let me give you a forecast for rest of the week (all in Celsius for your convenience):

Tues: 6
Wed: 4
Thurs: 4
Fri: 13

Which is practically the same as Toronto:

Tues: 6
Wed: 3
Thurs: 8
Fri: 15

I was in Minneapolis 2 weeks ago for work, and here's the weather for rest of the week:

Tues: 5
Wed: 11
Thurs: 7
Fri: 8

Honestly, I just couldn't tell the difference in temperature between those cities. I had to wear a light jacket in all of them when I go out. I don't know about those other cities - yes they are all "northeast", but they are all much more south of Toronto by a long shot. Toronto isn't "northeast" to begin with. And no, I've never heard anybody in Toronto compare ourselves to Philadelphia, weather or other things. Don't you live in Manitoba? How would you know so well how people think here, aside from the usual rants on C-D?

Old 04-06-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I'm actually flying back to Boston in 3 hours, and let me give you a forecast for rest of the week (all in Celsius for your convenience):

I was in Minneapolis 2 weeks ago for work, and here's the weather for rest of the week:
Lol, you are full of it.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Lol, you are full of it.
Umm, I'm flying to Boston to work today, and I'm full of it? What? You actually want me to post my ****ing boarding pass and Nexus card?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or