Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 12:50 PM

428 posts, read 450,861 times

Advertisements

Here it is April 5th, and the forecast is for snow today and more snow tomorrow morning. Temperatures hovering around 6 degrees (42 F) for the weekly forecast. Montreal, the self appointed San Diego of Canada is 0 right now (32 F) with a low of 5 (22 F). I'm here in Winnipeg, in the extreme geographic south of this fine country, hugging the US border. It's -3 right now (25 F) and with lows all under freezing all week. Vancouver, the self appointed Miami of Canada is enjoying it's usual cool temperatures.

If you call this spring time you are a sucker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 01:20 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
I'm here in Winnipeg, in the extreme geographic south of this fine country, hugging the US border.
Theres plenty of Canada that is further south than Winnipeg.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:27 PM

428 posts, read 450,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Theres plenty of Canada that is further south than Winnipeg.
I didn't say otherwise. Winnipeg is in the extreme south of Canada. Just look at a map.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:46 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
Whatever, I'm used to it. I actually think it's been a fairly smooth transition so far. No totally unexpected cold snaps since March here. It normally snows at some point in May in Sudbury, but I think we're probably more or less in the clear for highs in the + temps from now until May anyways so I don't really care. So glad winter is over.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:54 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,202 times
Quote:
Here it is April 5th, and the forecast is for snow today and more snow tomorrow morning. Temperatures hovering around 6 degrees (42 F) for the weekly forecast. Montreal, the self appointed San Diego of Canada is 0 right now (32 F) with a low of 5 (22 F). I'm here in Winnipeg, in the extreme geographic south of this fine country, hugging the US border. It's -3 right now (25 F) and with lows all under freezing all week. Vancouver, the self appointed Miami of Canada is enjoying it's usual cool temperatures.

If you call this spring time you are a sucker.
Wait, how is Montreal ever the "San Diego of Canada"? If anything, it'd be Vancouver, even though it's still pretty cold/wet in Vancouver. Montreal is more like the Boston of Canada.

You are using Winnipeg as some kind of standard for the rest of the country? Here in Toronto it was 18 C on Thursday and 13 C on Friday. Toronto is going to be somewhere between 6-15 Celsius for the upcoming week. Vancouver is going to be 15 Celsius average for the entire week next week. Yes, I agree that overall Canada is a tad bit colder on average than most countries around the world, but it's really not so different than the weather in many northern European countries.

And no, I don't think Winnipeg is that far south. Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec City are all far far more south than Winnipeg. Just to give some perspective, Toronto is south of Portland Oregon, Seattle Washington, and Minneapolis Minnesota. Just by casually looking at the map, Toronto appears at least 600 km south of Winnipeg, if not more (if someone could provide the exact distance number).

Old 04-05-2015, 02:07 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
This is an old joke which I'm sure many have seen before but is worth posting again for the benefit of the cold weather whoosie.

If you want to see the temps listed in celsius you'll have to do the conversions yourself.

+70 degrees
Texans turn on the heat and unpack the thermal underwear.
People in Canada go swimming in the Lakes.

+60 degrees
North Carolinians try to turn on the heat.
People in Canada plant gardens.

+50 degrees
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
People in Canada sunbathe.

+40 degrees
Italian & English cars won't start.
People in Canada drive with the windows down.

+32 degrees
Distilled water freezes.
Lake Superior's water gets thicker.

+20 degrees
Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, and woolly hats.
People in Canada throw on a flannel shirt.

+15 degrees
Philadelphia landlords finally turn up the heat.
People in Canada have the last cookout before it gets cold.

0 degrees
People in Miami all die...
Canadians lick the flagpole.

20 below
Californians fly away to Mexico.
People in Canada get out their winter coats.

40 below
Hollywood disintegrates.
The Girl Guides in Canada are selling cookies door to door.

60 below
Polar bears begin to evacuate the Arctic.
Canadian Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival" classes until it gets cold enough.

80 below
Mt. St. Helens freezes.
People in Canada rent some videos.

100 below
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Canadians get frustrated because they can't thaw the keg.

297 below
Microbial life no longer survives on dairy products.
Cows in Canada complain about farmers with cold hands.

460 below
ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero in the Kelvin scale).
People in Canada start saying, "Eh, Cold 'nuff for ya?"

500 below
Hell freezes over.
The Leafs win the Stanley Cup

Old 04-05-2015, 02:26 PM

678 posts, read 875,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
This is an old joke which I'm sure many have seen before but is worth posting again for the benefit of the cold weather whoosie.

If you want to see the temps listed in celsius you'll have to do the conversions yourself.

+70 degrees
Texans turn on the heat and unpack the thermal underwear.
People in Canada go swimming in the Lakes.

+60 degrees
North Carolinians try to turn on the heat.
People in Canada plant gardens.

+50 degrees
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
People in Canada sunbathe.

+40 degrees
Italian & English cars won't start.
People in Canada drive with the windows down.

+32 degrees
Distilled water freezes.
Lake Superior's water gets thicker.

+20 degrees
Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, and woolly hats.
People in Canada throw on a flannel shirt.

+15 degrees
Philadelphia landlords finally turn up the heat.
People in Canada have the last cookout before it gets cold.

0 degrees
People in Miami all die...
Canadians lick the flagpole.

20 below
Californians fly away to Mexico.
People in Canada get out their winter coats.

40 below
Hollywood disintegrates.
The Girl Guides in Canada are selling cookies door to door.

60 below
Polar bears begin to evacuate the Arctic.
Canadian Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival" classes until it gets cold enough.

80 below
Mt. St. Helens freezes.
People in Canada rent some videos.

100 below
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Canadians get frustrated because they can't thaw the keg.

297 below
Microbial life no longer survives on dairy products.
Cows in Canada complain about farmers with cold hands.

460 below
ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero in the Kelvin scale).
People in Canada start saying, "Eh, Cold 'nuff for ya?"

500 below
Hell freezes over.
The Leafs win the Stanley Cup

This is gold.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:39 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Vancouver temps are taken at the airport...right on the ocean.
Today in Vancouver people were wearing shorts. Runners on the seawall were wearing just t-shirts, and I even saw on shirtless guy running as well.
The blossoms have been out for weeks, the Rhodo's are just finishing. The restaurant patios were full as well.
A non-stop stream of people biking, walking, and running around the seawall.
Traffic on Georgia Street was backed up because of the amount of people trying to enter the park today.

So ya, I'll call this Spring.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:53 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
I didn't say otherwise. Winnipeg is in the extreme south of Canada. Just look at a map.

Is your brain frozen? lol I don't need to look at a map to see how wrong this statement is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
And no, I don't think Winnipeg is that far south. Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec City are all far far more south than Winnipeg. Just to give some perspective, Toronto is south of Portland Oregon, Seattle Washington, and Minneapolis Minnesota. Just by casually looking at the map, Toronto appears at least 600 km south of Winnipeg, if not more (if someone could provide the exact distance number).

689 kms.

Windsor is 846 kms south of Winnipeg. It would be like me driving to Chattanooga Tennessee. lol

Old 04-06-2015, 12:59 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Winnipeg may be in the extreme south of Manitoba. But the extreme south of Canada is in Ontario: namely Point Pelee. Roughly on the same latitude as northern California.

I'm in southern Alberta, north of the 49th. Nobody here believes that we are in "the extreme south of Canada." That's southern Ontario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada