U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 11:20 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,485,551 times

Advertisements

I'll chime in to state my support for the CBC as well. It's one of the few truly pan-Canadian cultural institutions we have that binds this country together. I wish it were better, more like the BBC, and agree that its news reporting can be flawed, but I want it to improve and be better funded, not the opposite. And I'm one of those millenial "social media" types who doesn't have a television or a car to listen to the radio in. The CBC is still hugely relevant to me, its website is my main source of news as are its radio programs and I watch some of its shows online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 10:53 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,205,200 times
No, I'd say it's an objective assessment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Question of opinion...

Old 04-10-2015, 01:28 AM

34,361 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Heres a list of some of their tv shows,
Shows - CBC Television
I like most of them and find more to my liking on CBC than whats on the USAs big 3.
Its all a matter of perspective,some like CBC offerings and some dont.
Easy solution if you have one of these.
http://www.galttech.com/research/gra...000-remote.jpg

Old 04-10-2015, 05:01 AM

The "big 3" isn't the only TV out there. Sorry, there's just not justification for the CBC's existence anymore.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:55 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
No, I'd say it's an objective assessment...
Seems like an assessment based on your biases.

The CBC has many networks.

CBC Radio One is the number one morning show in many of the country's largest urban radio markets. Most of its programming is well-listened.

Radio-Canada does similarly well in French Canada.

CBC's news networks are OK.

The main CBC English TV network continues to struggle to be relevant I agree.

The main CBC French network SRC has many of the most popular programs of all kinds (drama, comedy, variety, talk shows, public affairs) in Quebec and it would be a totally viable commercial network if it were privatized.

You're only looking at things from one angle.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:24 AM

34,361 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
The "big 3" isn't the only TV out there. Sorry, there's just not justification for the CBC's existence anymore.
As CBC aint going off the air anytime soon i guess it sucks to be you ken as Canadians will continue to enjoy quality programming from CBC despite your irrelevant protests.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:28 AM

If they want to do that, then certainly they'd be willing to pay for it themselves as part of a package. Maybe if the CBC was forced to manage on its own it would be compelled to produce shows that have a wider appeal.

Whatever the case, if you wish to keep abreast of its demise (which you seem to believe is not happening) then this may be of interest:
CBC Exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As CBC aint going off the air anytime soon i guess it sucks to be you ken as Canadians will continue to enjoy quality programming from CBC despite your irrelevant protests.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:56 PM

1,655 posts, read 1,637,694 times
Documentaries are my favorites to watch, and I would say the best ones I've ever seen have been done by the CBC.

Passionate Eye and Fifth Estate are some of the best programming I've ever seen on television.

I don't think I've ever heard anybody complain about the CBC in real life. It's just angry keyboard warriors who like Ezra Levant.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:38 PM

732 posts, read 853,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post

I don't think I've ever heard anybody complain about the CBC in real life. It's just angry keyboard warriors who like Ezra Levant.
People do complain about being scammed by their cable providers into subscribing for channels they dont want nor watch as part of ''bundles''.

How is that different, look up just how much the CBC reaps in subsidies > thats one expensive channel.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:14 AM

If people are not complaining about the CBC it's probably more to do with apathy or fear than anything else. In general it seems that in Canada people have been inculcated to believe that unless they're voicing opposition to very specific "problems" then to criticize means that they themselves are in the wrong somehow. Even if in actuality the majority of Canadians would agree with them. I think the majority of Canadians could live with the CBC being shut down. Life would go on. But as has been shown in this thread, anyone who suggests this is immediately stridently shouted down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada