U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 04:33 PM

325 posts, read 295,034 times

Advertisements

Don't feed the troll guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 04:37 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,715,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
Don't feed the troll guys.
So I am a troll, because I have an opinion most people disagree with.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:56 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times
The largest innovations in the past couple of decades have come from Japan and the United States.

iPhones, Friendster/Myspace/Facebook, Wikipedia, Napster, Text Messaging, Toyota Prius... Canada hasn't really done much except for a couple pop stars.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:03 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,715,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The largest innovations in the past couple of decades have come from Japan and the United States.

iPhones, Friendster/Myspace/Facebook, Wikipedia, Napster, Text Messaging, Toyota Prius... Canada hasn't really done much except for a couple pop stars.
Actually Friendster was founded by a Canadian and text messaging was invented by a German in 1985.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Actually Friendster was founded by a Canadian and text messaging was invented by a German in 1985.
Ok you may be right but its still not that big compared to all the other things. not that it even matters in the first place, i have nothing to do with the invention of Facebook, the creation of the movie Forest Gump, the companies Google and Apple.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:28 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times
This is why I don't like these types of threads.. You get comments like - Canada hasn't really done anything much in the last few decades except a couple of pop stars.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
This is why I don't like these types of threads.. You get comments like - Canada hasn't really done anything much in the last few decades except a couple of pop stars.
If you think that i think that pop stars are a bad thing, well that would be untrue.

We can talk about how much we hate their music all they want but the amount of attention and fame they receive is simply amazing... imagine the whole world freaking out about you peeing in a mop bucket.

But i'm surprised that is the reason why you don't like threads like these, i figured most people would be sick of all this USA talk.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I keep hearing people harp about how creative and inventive Americans are compared to those stoic commies in Canada, but is that even true nowadays? What does America actually produce that's innovative these days? Miley Cyrus? Ugly SUVs? Windows 10? I would argue that the tech boom of the 90s was the last time America really shone in terms of innovation, since then it's been very crass and other countries produce better stuff really.

I would argue considering the size of Canada's population relative to the US Canadians are actually MORE innovative than Americans and pretty much every other country. Basketball, ice hockey and the telephone (sorta - Bell was born in Scotland but I'd still consider him a Canadian and he invented it in Canada) are all Canadian inventions. Canadians are also hugely influential in pop culture, they just don't really play up their Canadianness. It seems like every other comedian is Canadian and every other movie is filmed in Canada.
should of asked this first but....

I am curious where you keep hearing this and if you really do hear this why do you take it so seriously?

Old 04-09-2015, 10:35 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,485,551 times
The thing is, the world is too interconnected these days to point at X achievement and say a particular country or culture is responsible for it anymore. The truth is, almost every piece of real innovation these days is the result of efforts from people around the globe, from new rheumatoid arthritis medications to Game of Thrones. The question is where are the big centres of gravity, and how much of an impact is each area making, how big of a contribution are they responsible for. That we can measure, but you can't really point at many specific things anymore and say "my culture is the one solely responsible for that having been developed".

Old 04-09-2015, 10:37 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,443,775 times
This is Canadian innovation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p-Qi5OqkQQ

In all seriousness, this guy is the best and just tours back and forth Canada nonstop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or