U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 12:00 PM

21,961 posts, read 27,397,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Actually the best winter outside of BC is southern Ontario in my opinion. Then Atlantic Canada, then Calgary, then Quebec, and lastly the rest of the prairies.
I am only repeating what I have heard. Many people I have spoken like the breaks from the cold due to the Chinooks, and also the fact it melts the snow in the city (and snowfall isn't that high to begin with), and also the drier air which doesn't feel as cold - in their opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 12:01 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,283,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You may be right, but I also think that Calgary can get nice early spring weather. What sucks about Calgary's winter is that there are often episodes of winter weather that you can see even into June.

In S ON and S QC, once you pass mid-April there are basically no "late winter surprises" that are gonna happen.
yeah, that's what I dislike about Calgary weather despite the "average temperature". A freaky cold spell in June or early snow before September 10 is just something too much to take. I feel depressed if the first snow accumulation happens before December or see any minus temperature in April. I'd rather have consistently bad weather followed by consistently good weather than unpredictable temperature in every month.

Scientists are predicting a warm winter this year in east Canada this year.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:06 PM

21,961 posts, read 27,397,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
yeah, that's what I dislike about Calgary weather despite the "average temperature". A freaky cold spell in June or early snow before September 10 is just something too much to take. I feel depressed if the first snow accumulation happens before December or see any minus temperature in April. I'd rather have consistently bad weather followed by consistently good weather than unpredictable temperature in every month.
I am largely the same. When it's summer I want it to be summer. But by late November I am usually sick of the endless grey doom and gloom and eager for it to snow to brighten things up.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:04 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,547,132 times
Quote:
I am largely the same. When it's summer I want it to be summer. But by late November I am usually sick of the endless grey doom and gloom and eager for it to snow to brighten things up.
Well, gloomy skies are one thing we don't usually have to endure for long in Manitoba. I won't mention the unmentionable clear, crisp, breath-shattering -30s and lower though.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:31 AM
BMI

7,266 posts, read 4,521,819 times
Quote:
Calgary doesn't really have warmer winters and those highs are incorrect. 13F is -10C but average highs in Montreal are about -5C. Average highs in Calgary are around -1C which is about 30F.

But even so, I'd caution you about those Calgary numbers. Calgary gets warm Chinook winds during the winter that can warm up the temperature to over 10C for a few hours. So the official high for a Chinook day might be 12C but much of the day may have been around -10C or colder. It's a very peculiar climate for this reason.

Calgary's cold lows on an average year also tend to be considerably colder than Montreal's because of the Prairie location as well. And the days with the coldest highs are usually coldest as well.

It depends on personal preference. Some people consider the Chinook effect a big positive as it provides a nice respite from winter cold, even if it only happens once in a blue moon.

On the other hand Calgary definitely has more bitterly cold days.

The period when winter weather is possible is also a lot longer in Calgary.

For example, for the new winter season Calgary's already had two minor snowfalls, one in late August and one a few weeks ago in early September.

The first snow in Montreal is still a few months away at least.
I agree with most of your points.

Yes, Calgary tends to have very wide swings in temperatures,
and you're correct Calgary will have few days much colder than Montreal experiences.

Conversely, a Calgary winter will have a few much warmer days than Montreal (RE: Chinooks)

Calgary is drier and sunnier than Montreal too.
For most folks dry cold feels less biting cold than when the air is more damp (ie. Montreal).

Here is a comparison ...Calgary vs Montreal ....airport to airport (1981-2010 normals)

CALGARY.........MONTREAL

JAN -1/-13.......JAN -5/-14
FEB 1/-11........FEB -3/-12
MAR 4/-7.........MAR 3/-6
APR 11/-2........APR 12/1
MAY 16/3.........MAY 19/8
JUN 20/8..........JUN 24/13
JUL 23/10.........JUL 26/16
AUG 23/9.........AUG 25/15
SEP 18/4..........SEP 21/10
OCT 12/-1........OCT 13/4
NOV 3/-8..........NOV 6/-2
DEC -1/-13........DEC 1/-9

Calgary is warmer than Montreal in winter.
The rest of the year Montreal is warmer.

Calgary imo does pretty well, considering it's almost 6 degrees farther north
and over 1000 m above sea level.

I guarantee no place in Quebec at 51N over 1000 m is near as warm as Calgary.
And yes, there are mountainous areas in Quebec at (or near) that latitude over 1000 m

Old 09-25-2015, 10:22 AM

873 posts, read 816,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I agree with most of your points.

Yes, Calgary tends to have very wide swings in temperatures,
and you're correct Calgary will have few days much colder than Montreal experiences.

Conversely, a Calgary winter will have a few much warmer days than Montreal (RE: Chinooks)

Calgary is drier and sunnier than Montreal too.
For most folks dry cold feels less biting cold than when the air is more damp (ie. Montreal).

Here is a comparison ...Calgary vs Montreal ....airport to airport (1981-2010 normals)

CALGARY.........MONTREAL

JAN -1/-13.......JAN -5/-14
FEB 1/-11........FEB -3/-12
MAR 4/-7.........MAR 3/-6
APR 11/-2........APR 12/1
MAY 16/3.........MAY 19/8
JUN 20/8..........JUN 24/13
JUL 23/10.........JUL 26/16
AUG 23/9.........AUG 25/15
SEP 18/4..........SEP 21/10
OCT 12/-1........OCT 13/4
NOV 3/-8..........NOV 6/-2
DEC -1/-13........DEC 1/-9

Calgary is warmer than Montreal in winter.
The rest of the year Montreal is warmer.

Calgary imo does pretty well, considering it's almost 6 degrees farther north
and over 1000 m above sea level.

I guarantee no place in Quebec at 51N over 1000 m is near as warm as Calgary.
And yes, there are mountainous areas in Quebec at (or near) that latitude over 1000 m
Calgary is not warmer than Montreal. They feel pretty much the same. In fact I would prefer a Montreal winter over a Calgary one because there will be less changeable weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or