Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

Commenting on the fact that most of the Canadian section is heavily loaded with banter about Quebec i was wondering if there could be anything other than Quebec topics of conversation in the Canada section,?

Tatamagouche Fire Department rescues Pourquoi the Pig - Nova Scotia - CBC News

Last edited by jambo101; 04-13-2015 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 09:08 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Knock yourself out, guys!

Wake me up before you go-go...

Old 04-13-2015, 11:58 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Well....how about the near disaster that befell Vancouver this last week? How does the cutting back and closing of important strategic Coast Guard Stations affect Canada, the country with the longest coastline in the World?

Old 04-13-2015, 12:03 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well....how about the near disaster that befell Vancouver this last week? How does the cutting back and closing of important strategic Coast Guard Stations affect Canada, the country with the longest coastline in the World?
Now there's an important topic. Let's see how many takers you get to discuss it.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:09 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Well, it absolutely effects me! I live 4 blocks from Kits beach and I'm hopping mad to have my backyard covered in oil, 2 years after they closed the Kitsilano coast guard station. Outrageous! And what's worse, here's more closures to come.

3 Canadian Coast Guard communication centres closing in B.C. - British Columbia - CBC News

You can't ask for expanded tanker traffic on the West Coast and expect to get support for that while at the same time cutting these safety services. And people wonder why BC is up in arms!

Old 04-13-2015, 12:12 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Well, it absolutely effects me! I live 4 blocks from Kits beach and I'm hopping mad to have my backyard covered in oil, 2 years after they closed to Kitsilano coast guard station! Outrageous. And what's worse, here's more closures to come.

3 Canadian Coast Guard communication centres closing in B.C. - British Columbia - CBC News

You can't ask for expanded tanker traffic on the West Coast and expect to get support for that while at the same time cutting these services. And people wonder why BC is up in arms!

Here's what would have happened if they hadn't closed the base.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/04/n...ill-instantly/

Old 04-13-2015, 12:24 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Well, it absolutely effects me! I live 4 blocks from Kits beach and I'm hopping mad to have my backyard covered in oil, 2 years after they closed the Kitsilano coast guard station. Outrageous! And what's worse, here's more closures to come.

You can't ask for expanded tanker traffic on the West Coast and expect to get support for that while at the same time cutting these safety services. And people wonder why BC is up in arms!
I live in Yaletown, but am currently living right on Beach Ave, as reno's are being done. I was sitting on the patio, the evening before, watching people with kids and dogs along the shoreline. Dogs playing in the water and kids sticking their hands in. The fact that at that moment the spill was happening and everyone was blissfully unaware is frightening.

The response time was horrible. Six hours? The " official " announcement from the Coast Guard is that they responded in a timely manner. BS. That is just the Feds covering themselves.
Former Coast Guard stationmaster and employees who speak more freely, state that the response time would of been six to ten minutes and that in that time they would of contained the spill with a boom, part of the equipment that the Kits station housed.

The next possible disaster will happen in and around False Creek and English Bay, where a boater or anyone on the water in distress will have to wait 30 minutes for the hovercraft to come from Richmond. Again, something the old Kits Station could do in much,much faster.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:46 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Big fire in East Van this morning.
Crews tackle massive fire in East Vancouver | CTV Vancouver News

Another interesting sports story,5 Canadian teams make the playoffs.
Gotta go with the Habs on this one.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:07 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
i was wondering if there could be anything other than Quebec topics of conversation in the Canada section,?

Tatamagouche Fire Department rescues Pourquoi the Pig - Nova Scotia - CBC News
"Pourquoi the pig" has been a hot topic out here on the prairies. Thanks for bring it up here.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:18 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Big fire in East Van this morning.
Crews tackle massive fire in East Vancouver | CTV Vancouver News

Another interesting sports story,5 Canadian teams make the playoffs.
Gotta go with the Habs on this one.
Well As lifelong diehard Canucks Fan it will be a great first Round Series with Calgary Flames to open up Western conference on Wednesday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada