U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2017, 11:22 AM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,294 posts, read 6,610,773 times
Reputation: 14332

Advertisements

Quote:
...... To say they all are unique in their own way is being polite.

I was not being polite. I'm observant and investigative and I find distinctions everywhere.

I can tell you this, that behind every façade of mundanity lies a hidden uniqueness or secret. Metaphorically speaking - under every ordinary rock or fallen rotting log an exceptional treasure or fearsome horror exists. One only needs to expand their awareness and look beyond the mundane to discover the uniquenesses.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2017, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,707 posts, read 26,810,452 times
Reputation: 26696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I was not being polite. I'm observant and investigative and I find distinctions everywhere.

I can tell you this, that behind every façade of mundanity lies a hidden uniqueness or secret. Metaphorically speaking - under every ordinary rock or fallen rotting log an exceptional treasure or fearsome horror exists. One only needs to expand their awareness and look beyond the mundane to discover the uniquenesses.

.
YES!

This is the difference between "surface" and "immersion." When I go somewhere new, I completely immerse myself in the surroundings. Yes, cities are buildings and people and topology. But if you look beyond the obvious, there's a bounty to be discovered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 01:54 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,286,480 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I was not being polite. I'm observant and investigative and I find distinctions everywhere.

I can tell you this, that behind every façade of mundanity lies a hidden uniqueness or secret. Metaphorically speaking - under every ordinary rock or fallen rotting log an exceptional treasure or fearsome horror exists. One only needs to expand their awareness and look beyond the mundane to discover the uniquenesses.

.
Sure, I don't doubt you can find the difference. Every rock can be unique and every tree can be different from each other too.
For me it needs to be something more conspicuous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,704 posts, read 8,782,287 times
Reputation: 7319
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Nobody mocked or ridiculed you.....we trade barbs at each other (as usual), and I tend to be caustic often....I sincerely apologize if I came out too strong.



I did not "drop"...all I said is that you can already feel a heavy Asian presence in Seattle.....obviously I know that Vancouver has an even higher percentage of Asians no need to learn something there...but again I apologize if you felt mocked.



As a matter of fact, especially in the Eastside/Bellevue area the heavy Asian presence is getting (by casual observation) close to Vancouver levels (including hyper expensive cars driven by college students)....obviously we were both talking about "feeling the presence" and not specifying percentages...again, is a well known fact that Vancouver has a higher percentage of Asians.

I go to SF often for work reason (maybe going again in 2 or 3 weeks) and, again, from casual observation on the street, I'm not sure you easily notice (maybe that's me) a significant heavier Asian presence (where officially, percentage wise, they do have double than Seattle at the last count)...sure their Chinatown is MUCH better and NICER than Seattle (not even a comparison really) and Asian food is simply much better....Asian population in Seattle in the last 5 years has literally skyrocketed (again, "feeling on the street") with the corresponding dramatic improvement of Asian food offering.......
I forgive you for now.

Until the next time. Bwahahaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 06:54 PM
 
3,154 posts, read 2,077,848 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Only a handful of important cities are unique some many ways. Vancouver, San Francisco are examples like that.
Sorry Botti but by your own metric, what is so unique about SF or Vancouver?? Or about the vast majority of North American cities??

I agree with other posters and Zoisite, a large enough city will have its own unique flavor somehow (even Seattle or Atlanta or San Antonio or whatever)....obviously there are cities much more unique than others...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2017, 04:50 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,286,480 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Sorry Botti but by your own metric, what is so unique about SF or Vancouver?? Or about the vast majority of North American cities??

I agree with other posters and Zoisite, a large enough city will have its own unique flavor somehow (even Seattle or Atlanta or San Antonio or whatever)....obviously there are cities much more unique than others...
Ok.. tell me another major city in North America where the city centre is located on a peninsular surrounded by water on three sides and a huge park on the north, almost the size of downtown itself, where you can see mountains nearby, and where there are primarily high rise towers. Oh and the fact between 1/3 -1/2 of the population is Asian.

I call that pretty unique. Being unique is not necessarily great or better, but it is simply very different from the majority of cities you see elsewhere.

Most cities don't have anything significant from other cities. I will never say Seattle or Atlanta are unique. Toronto is no unique either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2017, 06:56 AM
 
3,154 posts, read 2,077,848 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Ok.. tell me another major city in North America where the city centre is located on a peninsular surrounded by water on three sides and a huge park on the north, almost the size of downtown itself, where you can see mountains nearby, and where there are primarily high rise towers. Oh and the fact between 1/3 -1/2 of the population is Asian.
I can play that game with a lot of cities in North America.....pick some unique aspects (if you look hard enough you will find them almost anywhere).

For example, in Anglo North America, Seattle is the only big city by the sea on one side, with a huge fresh water lake on the other side and close to a volcano, Miami is the only truly tropical big city and so on......

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-04-2017 at 07:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2017, 11:20 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,286,480 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I can play that game with a lot of cities in North America.....pick some unique aspects (if you look hard enough you will find them almost anywhere).

For example, in Anglo North America, Seattle is the only big city by the sea on one side, with a huge fresh water lake on the other side and close to a volcano, Miami is the only truly tropical big city and so on......
Yes, you may. Being unique or not is something somewhat subjective to start with. If you think having the sea on the west and a lake on the east is a unique feature sufficiently important to you, then of course it is a unique city to you.

One can also say Edmonton is unique because it is the northern-most city in North America with a population over 1M, or Phoenix is unique for having the hottest summer. Mississauga is probably unique in some statistics too. If that's why we mean by saying every city is unique its own way, ok...

For me, I need something with more visual impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2017, 12:06 PM
 
3,154 posts, read 2,077,848 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Yes, you may. Being unique or not is something somewhat subjective to start with. If you think having the sea on the west and a lake on the east is a unique feature sufficiently important to you, then of course it is a unique city to you.

One can also say Edmonton is unique because it is the northern-most city in North America with a population over 1M, or Phoenix is unique for having the hottest summer. Mississauga is probably unique in some statistics too. If that's why we mean by saying every city is unique its own way, ok...

For me, I need something with more visual impact.
We are saying the same thing, basically....and from Seattle you see mountains as well and a big volcano....you have your visual impact (and from many other cities in North America not to mention the rest of the world)

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-04-2017 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2017, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,704 posts, read 8,782,287 times
Reputation: 7319
In regards to Seattle and Vancouver, others see it the way I do. Not the same in many, many aspects. This thread I'm linking starts off with a silly premise on the percentage of bad neighbourhoods in Seattle, but by post #32 the discussion turns towards Vancouver.

I have to agree with HomesinSeattle, that Vancouver is quite different than Seattle

If we're to be honest with ourselves, 95% of Seattle neighborhoods are total trash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top