U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 04:41 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times

Advertisements

I don't know why people make a big fuss about that damn bridge as if it is extraordinarily special. This is the April 25 Bridge in Lisbon. Looks familiar?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 05:01 AM

16,668 posts, read 26,737,164 times
I hate bridges; they scare me. Aside from that, I'll just keep saying this:

This is a really odd question to me. There are so many variables: architecture, culture, weather, people, food, topography, etc, etc, etc.

Some parts of Boston "remind me" of Montreal. There's a small area of New York (Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn -- complete with a French elementary school!) that "reminds me" of a small area of Montreal (lower Westmount). But reminding me is not twinship.

As I said, there are so many variables. It depends what you're comparing and, even then, every city is unique in its own right.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:37 AM

I don't think every city is unique in its own right. That's just euphemism. At least in North America there are hundreds of "cities" that look almost identical (in the sense they are equally boring and suburban like). For example it is hard to me to say Mississauga and Vaughan are both unique their own right. No there is nothing unique about them whatsoever.

Those cities that are unique are actually the minority.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:08 AM

Ask the people who live in Mississauga and Vaughan. They'll tell you what's unique about where they live. I'm guessing that the people of Mississauga will tell you about the marina at Port Credit, for example.

I've visited a lot of cities and lived in half a dozen of them. While I find things that remind me of other places, I don't see a twinship.

That's MY experience and what MY eyes see. Obviously your experience is not the same.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Ask the people who live in Mississauga and Vaughan. They'll tell you what's unique about where they live. I'm guessing that the people of Mississauga will tell you about the marina at Port Credit, for example.

I've visited a lot of cities and lived in half a dozen of them. While I find things that remind me of other places, I don't see a twinship.

That's MY experience and what MY eyes see. Obviously your experience is not the same.
people live in Mississauga and Vaughan because they can't afford to live in Toronto. Nobody loves Mississauga or Vaughan.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
people live in Mississauga and Vaughan because they can't afford to live in Toronto. Nobody loves Mississauga or Vaughan.
Who's saying anything about love? That's not what this thread is about.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:07 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
It is true though that a lot of people do tend to over-emphasize the uniqueness of the place they live in.

Just think of how often we hear that ALL provinces are sooooo different from each other in Canada, and that none are more different than the others.

I've heard people from the Prairie provinces talk about other Prairie provinces right next door as if they were a far-away, exotic foreign country.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:32 AM

12,675 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Sigh.

We can all disagree on what we find similar and what we don't. What I don't like about this thread is JohnSoCal and Saturno's dismissive attitude that I must be out of my head saying that San Francisco and Vancouver have similar qualities. They scoffed at the idea that I said that it is the ONLY place I've walked down a street and felt that it could be Vancouver. To explain that this doesn't mean ALL streets, or ALL aspects of the cities seems futile.

Posting links that others see the similarities, even people FROM San Francisco is ignored.

Yes other cities have bridges...others cities have streets too and traffic lights!

This San Franciscan seems to agree.

https://plus.google.com/+JEliFelicit...ts/DZhVJt61prG

as does this one

"I moved up here about 6 years ago and realized that Vancouver is a lot like San Francisco. "

A Bit O’ the Bay at Crab Park Chowdery |

I could go on, but my point is, that it's fine to disagree, but when people like Saturno say

" San Francisco?? Dream on....so having a suspension bridge makes Vancouver similar to San Francisco?? I guess the Tri-Cities in Washington state can be compared to Vancouver, they have a suspension bridge...lol...You cannot make this stuff up...."

It's insulting and arrogant.

Last edited by Natnasci; 10-31-2017 at 10:41 AM..

Old 10-31-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't know why people make a big fuss about that damn bridge as if it is extraordinarily special. This is the April 25 Bridge in Lisbon. Looks familiar?
You are missing the point. If the comparison was ONLY a bridge, then yes, it's odd...but the comparison is not JUST about a bridge.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It is true though that a lot of people do tend to over-emphasize the uniqueness of the place they live in.

Just think of how often we hear that ALL provinces are sooooo different from each other in Canada, and that none are more different than the others.

I've heard people from the Prairie provinces talk about other Prairie provinces right next door as if they were a far-away, exotic foreign country.
I don't see it as uniqueness. I hear people talk about the things they like about where they live, and the listener is usually thinking. " we have that as well ". Assuming the person is suggesting what they like is unique.

Quebeckers do it all the time

As for the prairie provinces being different. They are. Vastly different...depends. Alberta is probably the most different from the other two.

As for each province and territory...like anywhere the smaller ones back east may have more in common, but PEI is very different NFLD. BC is nothing like Ontario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or