U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2017, 10:46 AM

12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I hate bridges; they scare me. Aside from that, I'll just keep saying this:

This is a really odd question to me. There are so many variables: architecture, culture, weather, people, food, topography, etc, etc, etc.

Some parts of Boston "remind me" of Montreal. There's a small area of New York (Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn -- complete with a French elementary school!) that "reminds me" of a small area of Montreal (lower Westmount). But reminding me is not twinship.

As I said, there are so many variables. It depends what you're comparing and, even then, every city is unique in its own right.
Fraternal twins perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 10:49 AM

16,667 posts, read 26,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I hear people talk about the things they like about where they live, and the listener is usually thinking. " we have that as well ". Assuming the person is suggesting what they like is unique.
So, Nat, then they're TWIN CITIES!!!

I'm just teasing. You and I are on the same page. You and I have both experienced a feeling of *similarity* in two different cities. (Although, I think that the concept of "twin cities" is a misnomer and a disservice.) And you and I also find the dismissive painting with a broad brush offensive. Because, well, you and I know nothing. Which means <gasp!> that you and I are TWIN POSTERS!!!

Old 10-31-2017, 10:51 AM

16,667 posts, read 26,731,689 times
Quote:
Fraternal twins perhaps?
Sure! Or brother from a different mother. Or sister from a different mister.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:57 AM

12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
So, Nat, then they're TWIN CITIES!!!

I'm just teasing. You and I are on the same page. You and I have both experienced a feeling of *similarity* in two different cities. (Although, I think that the concept of "twin cities" is a misnomer and a disservice.) And you and I also find the dismissive painting with a broad brush offensive. Because, well, you and I know nothing. Which means <gasp!> that you and I are TWIN POSTERS!!!
...and it's not like I don't know both cities. I've been living in Vancouver all of my 59 years, and have been travelling to and through San Francisco since the early 1980's....my guess I've been around 20 times...perhaps more.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:08 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
I don't see it as uniqueness. I hear people talk about the things they like about where they live, and the listener is usually thinking. " we have that as well ". Assuming the person is suggesting what they like is unique.

Quebeckers do it all the time

These days, many places have most things you can bring up "as well". Perhaps not as commonly or readily available, and not with the same quality or authenticity.

Think of our discussions about nudity on TV, for example?

If we follow this logic to the end then all places can be said to be the same.

You can get great poutine in Tokyo... I guess that makes it the same as Montreal.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:28 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:

As for the prairie provinces being different. They are. Vastly different...depends. Alberta is probably the most different from the other two.

As for each province and territory...like anywhere the smaller ones back east may have more in common, but PEI is very different NFLD. BC is nothing like Ontario.
Well, I am a keen observer of this notion of foreignness even though my personal threshold is extremely high: I don't really feel like I am in a foreign place anywhere that could be called "western". And that's even if I don't speak the language. So I don't really feel like a fish out of water in Prague or Helsinki, even if I don't speak Czech or Finnish.

In terms of foreignness for the average person who isn't me (and perhaps you too) only two Canadian provinces stand out: the obvious ones Quebec and Newfoundland. You can add Nunavut too if you want to include the territories.

Sure, if you want to nickel and dime this to death Alberta is different from Saskatchewan, and even southern Alberta (think of the area around Cardston) is different from Edmonton. And so on, and so on.

People in Canada aren't comfortable with this discussion because of the impression it makes certain areas feel less "special".

Well, hey. That's life. Alberta and BC have nicer scenery than Saskatchewan and New Brunswick and no amount of "land of living skies" and "picture province" licence plate slogans is gonna change that.

Life isn't fair. But it's usually still pretty good if you're Canadian. Even if your province isn't uniquely special or different, compared to some others.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:34 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,070,170 times
Quote:
Sigh.

We can all disagree on what we find similar and what we don't. What I don't like about this thread is JohnSoCal and Saturno's dismissive attitude that I must be out of my head saying that San Francisco and Vancouver have similar qualities. They scoffed at the idea that I said that it is the ONLY place I've walked down a street and felt that it could be Vancouver. To explain that this doesn't mean ALL streets, or ALL aspects of the cities seems futile.

Posting links that others see the similarities, even people FROM San Francisco is ignored.

Yes other cities have bridges...others cities have streets too and traffic lights!

This San Franciscan seems to agree.

https://plus.google.com/+JEliFelicit...ts/DZhVJt61prG

as does this one

"I moved up here about 6 years ago and realized that Vancouver is a lot like San Francisco. "

A Bit O’ the Bay at Crab Park Chowdery |

I could go on, but my point is, that it's fine to disagree, but when people like Saturno say

" San Francisco?? Dream on....so having a suspension bridge makes Vancouver similar to San Francisco?? I guess the Tri-Cities in Washington state can be compared to Vancouver, they have a suspension bridge...lol...You cannot make this stuff up...."

It's insulting and arrogant.
Why is insulting and arrogant?? Others scoffed at the idea (Botticelli and Mikeyyc for example) not only me and JohnSoCal. You get offended way too easily
You are the one that brought up suspension bridges and bodies of water not me or JohnSoCal.
They may have some similar qualities but a general comparison or considering them "twin cities" like the one proposed by the OP is far fetched....meaning that when I have to come up with a city similar to San Francisco I would not (nor the majority of people) think of Vancouver.
I'm not joking, there are few blocks in the city of Yakima that remind me of urban neighborhoods of Charleston and Savannah....is Yakima a twin city to these??
Again and again, Vancouver is more similar to Seattle than SF.

Last edited by saturno_v; 10-31-2017 at 12:50 PM..

Old 10-31-2017, 11:42 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,070,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't think every city is unique in its own right. That's just euphemism. At least in North America there are hundreds of "cities" that look almost identical (in the sense they are equally boring and suburban like). For example it is hard to me to say Mississauga and Vaughan are both unique their own right. No there is nothing unique about them whatsoever.

Those cities that are unique are actually the minority.

I agree...as a European I find the differences between the vast majority of American cities minor at best.
Even the vaunted difference between Seattle downtown and Vancouver downtown we talked so much before is not that great.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:28 PM

8,576 posts, read 11,065,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Why is insulting and arrogant?? Others scoffed at the idea (Botticelli and Mikeyyc for example) not only me and JohnSoCal. You get offended way too easily
It's well established that I'm an as*hole so no further comments about it are necessary.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:17 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,744,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Nat gets all upset if we don't share his love fest with Vancouver. Whatever floats his boat but so be it. You and I have both lived in Vancouver and we don't agree with him. I have also lived in the San Francisco Bay area and know the city very well. If he wants to believe that the cities are similar, that is his prerogative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or