Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 12:37 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In regards to Seattle and Vancouver, others see it the way I do. Not the same in many, many aspects. This thread I'm linking starts off with a silly premise on the percentage of bad neighbourhoods in Seattle, but by post #32 the discussion turns towards Vancouver.

I have to agree with HomesinSeattle, that Vancouver is quite different than Seattle

If we're to be honest with ourselves, 95% of Seattle neighborhoods are total trash

Let's clarify that we are not talking about how different Seattle is from Vancouver but the subject is about being "unique".

Vancouver downtown is a bit different than Seattle downtown but you do get the Northwest feel in both very clearly...they have a lot of things in common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 12:54 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Let's clarify that we are not talking about how different Seattle is from Vancouver but the subject is about being "unique".

Vancouver downtown is a bit different than Seattle downtown but you do get the Northwest feel in both very clearly...they have a lot of things in common.
No you are and Bottie are discussing unique. I never said Vancouver is unique. My stance is that Seattle has very little in common with Vancouver, except weather. The two cities are too different to be considered any kind of twin.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
No you are and Bottie are discussing unique. I never said Vancouver is unique. My stance is that Seattle has very little in common with Vancouver, except weather. The two cities are too different to be considered any kind of twin.

I agree we should not consider them twins because they are very different in some areas (but they do have more in common than just the weather) and even less San Francisco IMHO.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:53 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I agree we should not consider them twins because they are very different in some areas (but they do have more in common than just the weather) and even less San Francisco IMHO.
I think Vancouver shares little in common with Seattle except the climate, and with SF except some geography features. They are all very different cities.

Want to find twins? Just look beyond these major cities with some characters and look at the boring suburban ones. They are all twins - a small CBD where nobody lives and vast suburbia with nothing but singe family houses with their garages and trees. Essentially most North American cities are twins.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I think Vancouver shares little in common with Seattle except the climate, and with SF except some geography features. They are all very different cities.
Similar climate, natural environment, geographical position and cultural heritage are not small potatoes....

Quote:
Want to find twins? Just look beyond these major cities with some characters and look at the boring suburban ones. They are all twins - a small CBD where nobody lives and vast suburbia with nothing but singe family houses with their garages and trees. Essentially most North American cities are twins.
Here I agree completely.....

Old 11-04-2017, 06:45 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Yep, most cities have something that makes them unique vs. any other place, but the suburban areas in general, have the same feel whether it's the US or Canada.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:33 PM

43 posts, read 52,516 times
Halifax is Boston's poor cousin lol

Old 11-10-2017, 02:21 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Toronto and Chicago

Calgary and Denver

Quebec and Charleston

Montreal and Boston

Vancouver and Seattle

Old 11-10-2017, 02:23 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
They have similar climate, surroundings, architecture, and vibe. They both have the PNW standoffishness and introversion. Both have huge outdoorsy feel. There are certainly many similarities.

Yes there are differences. Seattle is much bigger, richer and more corporate. Vancouver is much more Asian, condo-oriented and space-constrained. But they're, overall, more alike than different.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
They have similar climate, surroundings, architecture, and vibe. They both have the PNW standoffishness and introversion. Both have huge outdoorsy feel. There are certainly many similarities.

Yes there are differences. Seattle is much bigger, richer and more corporate. Vancouver is much more Asian, condo-oriented and space-constrained. But they're, overall, more alike than different.

Exactly....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada