Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 10:42 PM

86 posts, read 126,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Would you be so kind to share where you get the impression that.... Americans are in a state of fear.... right to bear arms in public are important to us... Americans are in a state of panic and defensiveness.

see i am not a big fan of guns either but i know most gun owners don't go around shooting random people, if they did Canada would have more people than America.

and what is it like the second you cross the imaginary line that we like to call the "US-Canada border" ?
You are. The neurotic right wing nuts in your country are bat**** crazy with fear. Scared to have their 300 year old, antiquated, gun rights, taken away, which were probably put in place with the idea in mind that one could shoot their human "property" if they weren't working hard enough on the plantation or something.

I am not even against gun ownership either, I am against gun culture. That is the problem in the US. There is absolutely no reason someone should be able to walk around freely with an automatic assault rifle in public. I don't even understand how this needs to be explained to people who live in a progressive first world country. It's asinine. What kind of post-apocalyptic hellhole do you want to live in exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 12:28 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsfan1990 View Post
I think I know my country a little more than you do. NO...YOU CAN NOT GET A GUN EASILY IN CANADA.
Agree with Nat and Billsfan, at least insofar as handguns go. Gun club membership, letters from the range officers, police visiting your home to ensure safe storage, permits to purchase, permits to transport (not "carry") between home and club--it's a PITA to own a handgun. Long guns (rifles and shotguns) are somewhat easier to own, but even they must be stored safely, separate from ammunition.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: any Canadian who claims, on a application to purchase/handle/etc., to need a gun of any sort "for protection" will forever be barred from owning one.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:45 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
I think I know my country a little more than you do. NO...YOU CAN NOT GET A GUN EASILY IN CANADA.

I'm Canadian too by the way and you can get a gun in Canada relatively easily going through bureaucratic red tape. You are Canadian but you do not seem very acquainted with gun laws and procedures in Canada. I am.

A good source of info is this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO4SW93jftE

Quote:
because just about any joe blow in a lot of states can walk in and buy one.

...and you definitely do not anything about gun laws in the US....let me ask you a simple question...I bet you believe that Texas is one of the most gun friendly states do you??

Old 05-31-2015, 11:57 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
You are. The neurotic right wing nuts in your country are bat**** crazy with fear. Scared to have their 300 year old, antiquated, gun rights, taken away, which were probably put in place with the idea in mind that one could shoot their human "property" if they weren't working hard enough on the plantation or something.

I am not even against gun ownership either, I am against gun culture. That is the problem in the US. There is absolutely no reason someone should be able to walk around freely with an automatic assault rifle in public. I don't even understand how this needs to be explained to people who live in a progressive first world country. It's asinine. What kind of post-apocalyptic hellhole do you want to live in exactly?
I don't like the gun culture, and I can't say that I believe in the 2nd Amendment, conceived by the Founding Fathers, interpreted in 2015. But I have come to respect the views of many people I know, including family, who are strong supporters of gun rights. There's plenty of room for all kinds of opinions, and living in the US has taught me that it's naïve and foolish to generalize and label any contingent of people according to preconceived notions one chooses to stubbornly cling to.

You do know that there are right wing conservatives in the US who are strongly in favor of stricter gun control? Who loath the gun culture and the NRA? And that there are far left leaning liberals who are gun enthusiasts and strong proponents of the Second A?

The US is a HIGHLY diverse country that never ceases to fascinate and surprise and delight and confound and frustrate and anger me. Diversity, which, yes, DOES include disparate philosophical and ideological differences, is very difficult. No doubt about it. But no one ever said it would or should be easy.

Not everyone thinks like you or I do. Deal with it. You sound as intolerant as those batsh## crazy right - wingers you allude to.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:05 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I don't like the gun culture, and I can't say that I believe in the 2nd Amendment, conceived by the Founding Fathers, interpreted in 2015. But I have come to respect the views of many people I know, including family, who are strong supporters of gun rights. There's plenty of room for all kinds of opinions, and living in the US has taught me that it's naïve and foolish to generalize and label any contingent of people according to preconceived notions one chooses to stubbornly cling to.

You do know that there are right wing conservatives in the US who are strongly in favor of stricter gun control? Who loath the gun culture and the NRA? And that there are far left leaning liberals who are gun enthusiasts and strong proponents of the Second A?

The US is a HIGHLY diverse country that never ceases to fascinate and surprise and delight and confound and frustrate and anger me. Diversity, which, yes, DOES include disparate philosophical and ideological differences, is very difficult. No doubt about it. But no one ever said it would or should be easy.

Not everyone thinks like you or I do. Deal with it. You sound as intolerant as those batsh## crazy right - wingers you allude to.

...and I dispute the entire notion of "gun culture" anyway, at least as a generalized widespread term and/or phenomena.

What is "gun culture" by the way??

Old 05-31-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I'm Canadian too by the way and you can get a gun in Canada relatively easily going through bureaucratic red tape. You are Canadian but you do not seem very acquainted with gun laws and procedures in Canada. I am.

A good source of info is this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO4SW93jftE

...and you definitely do not anything about gun laws in the US....let me ask you a simple question...I bet you believe that Texas is one of the most gun friendly states do you??
No you're not. You're just some asshat American looking to stir **** up. Of course, in true American form, you think you know much more than you actually do. Well, you don't. As I, and just about every other Canadian on this thread has corrected you.

Once one is 18, so long as they pass a "background check" (whatever the hell that really means) one may be able to purchase anything from a pistol to a assault rifle in many states. Yes.

Texas is indeed one of the more passionate states regarding guns, yes.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
...and I dispute the entire notion of "gun culture" anyway, at least as a generalized widespread term and/or phenomena.

As far as the general public is concerned a gun should be treated as nothing other than a tool used for hunting. No different than a bow and arrow.

In the United States, however, exist gun enthusiasts. Whereby hunting is not the main focus, and rather explicitly guns are. Guns for shooting people, guns for opening doors, guns for creating art on the side of a pickup truck, etc. Guns guns guns guns guns.

Guns are designed for killing, and if they are not acknowledged for the correct purposes then problems occur. The reason there are so few gun related homicides in Canada isn't necessarily because there are such a small number of guns, but rather that people acknowledge them the correct way, and use them for the right purposes. Not unlike other first world countries with similar stats.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:10 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:

Oh i am? damn.

I don't like guns either and wouldn't really care if my 2nd amendment rights got taken away.

have you ever met any "right wing nuts" ? or is just stuff you hear on the news?
do you seriously think they are freaking out everyday and are in a state of constant fear of their guns taken away? no, i'm sorry but they are not... i have plenty of these "right wing nuts" in my family and they don't really seem to be in a constant state of fear.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:

I don't even know but the things people actually believe about Americans is pretty hilarious... thinking everyone hear treats guns like they are a god or some sh-t

Old 05-31-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Oh i am? damn.

I don't like guns either and wouldn't really care if my 2nd amendment rights got taken away.

have you ever met any "right wing nuts" ? or is just stuff you hear on the news?
do you seriously think they are freaking out everyday and are in a state of constant fear of their guns taken away? no, i'm sorry but they are not... i have plenty of these "right wing nuts" in my family and they don't really seem to be in a constant state of fear.

I have met quite a few right wing Americans who were quite passionate about their beliefs. Hell, Saturno is one of them.

Maybe not every waking minute of every day but as soon as the idea is suggested that stricter and more rational gun laws should come into play they just about soil themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada