U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-01-2015, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Canada
5,691 posts, read 6,534,040 times
Reputation: 8193

Advertisements

Well, I've never heard that gun control was anything anyone around here was against - the long gun registry, yes. Gun control, no. Hand guns, that they were against. Every farmer has a long gun or two hanging around and then there are hunters who also do. People understand that and therefore they have no issue with it.

Hand guns are another matter and I actually did enquire into getting one once - I kept running into a possible wolf or maybe it was a really, really big coyote, but he wouldn't run away and kept staring me down at times when I didn't have so much as a pitchfork in my hand. A long gun would be a lot to remember to carry around and so I asked about a hand gun. Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2015, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,672 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Reputation: 7283
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, I've never heard that gun control was anything anyone around here was against - the long gun registry, yes. Gun control, no. Hand guns, that they were against. Every farmer has a long gun or two hanging around and then there are hunters who also do. People understand that and therefore they have no issue with it.

Hand guns are another matter and I actually did enquire into getting one once - I kept running into a possible wolf or maybe it was a really, really big coyote, but he wouldn't run away and kept staring me down at times when I didn't have so much as a pitchfork in my hand. A long gun would be a lot to remember to carry around and so I asked about a hand gun. Nope.
Exactly. I have never heard people in our " lefty " city of Vancouver complain about rifles for shooting practice or hunting. Nada.

Hand guns are a whole different matter. No one is calling for loosening our current gun laws.

Somewhere this thread took a turn from me explaining to Saturno that no, getting an handgun legally in Canada is NOT easy, to criminals will get guns anyway.

Everyone knows criminals will get guns somehow, but it is not a coincidence that countries with stricter gun control laws have less gun crime.
Americans argue that it's a certain criminal gang element that makes their stats so high ( while ignoring accidental gun deaths ). Even if that is true, I personally believe that if the US had had stricter gun control laws, things might just be a little less violent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2015, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
5,722 posts, read 3,199,575 times
Reputation: 7158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Exactly. I have never heard people in our " lefty " city of Vancouver complain about rifles for shooting practice or hunting. Nada.

Hand guns are a whole different matter. No one is calling for loosening our current gun laws.

Somewhere this thread took a turn from me explaining to Saturno that no, getting an handgun legally in Canada is NOT easy, to criminals will get guns anyway.

Everyone knows criminals will get guns somehow, but it is not a coincidence that countries with stricter gun control laws have less gun crime.
Americans argue that it's a certain criminal gang element that makes their stats so high ( while ignoring accidental gun deaths ). Even if that is true, I personally believe that if the US had had stricter gun control laws, things might just be a little less violent.

I mostly agree with you. I've never been entirely comfortable with even the idea of guns, though, intellectually, I know the vast majority of gun owners in both the US and Canada are responsible and non-violent. I didn't grow up in a home with guns, and I've never thought about owning one. My opinion about handguns, in particular, has been similar to yours.

However, like netwit, I have since reconsidered that, surprisingly. Now I would consider purchasing a handgun IF I were ever in an environment with a higher potential of facing danger (4-legged or 2-legged), particularly IF I were in a remote location, some distance from assistance.

I completely understand netwit's making inquiries into owning a handgun. Rifles and shotguns aren't always easy for women to handle correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2015, 02:07 PM
 
3,153 posts, read 2,070,697 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Somewhere this thread took a turn from me explaining to Saturno that no, getting an handgun legally in Canada is NOT easy, to criminals will get guns anyway.

...you keep making that point which is 1) false and 2) beside the point...getting a hand gun in Canada is perfectly possible and not that difficult....getting a permit to carry it around is next to impossible but, evidently, you have very hard time connecting the two different concepts when it comes to criminal intent. High number of legal gun ownership does not explain or related to gun crimes.


By the way, from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police web site:


Facts and Figures (October - December 2014) - Royal Canadian Mounted Police



So almost one every 30 people (including infants and minors) has a restricted or prohibited firearm in Canada and actually British Columbia has one of the highest per capita ownership rate of restricted/prohibited firearms among the provinces and territories....Natnasci care to compare the gun crime rate of BC or Alberta vs. Quebec?? According to your theory, it must be 3 times higher.....



Last edited by saturno_v; 06-01-2015 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2015, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,672 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Reputation: 7283
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...you keep making that point which is 1) false and 2) beside the point...getting a hand gun in Canada is perfectly possible and not that difficult....getting a permit to carry it around is next to impossible but, evidently, you have very hard time connecting the two different concepts when it comes to criminal intent. High number of legal gun ownership does not explain or related to gun crimes.


By the way, from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police web site:


Facts and Figures (October - December 2014) - Royal Canadian Mounted Police



So almost one every 30 people (including infants and minors) has a restricted or prohibited firearm in Canada and actually British Columbia has one of the highest per capita ownership rate of restricted/prohibited firearms among the provinces and territories....Natnasci care to compare the gun crime rate of BC or Alberta vs. Quebec?? According to your theory, it must be 3 times higher.....

You are missing the point. First those stats do not differentiate WHICH of those firearms ARE hand guns.

Secondly those that DO own handguns are much MORE restricted than they are in the US, as you yourself have mentioned about a permit to carry. Not sure why you are accusing me of not understanding the difference since it was I who brought up the two things in the first place.

Hand guns are a RESTRICTED weapon in Canada. From the RCMP site.

"There are a few purposes for which individuals can be licensed to acquire or possess a restricted firearm, the most common being target practice or target shooting competitions, or as part of a collection.

In limited circumstances, restricted firearms are also allowed for use in connection with one's lawful profession or occupation, or to protect life.

Exception: Individuals who have a firearm that is registered to them as a relic under the former legislation may continue to possess it for that purpose. However, they cannot pass that designation on to the next owner. The next owner can acquire the firearm only for one of the purposes referred to above.

As set out in the Firearms Act, a relic firearm is one that is of value as a curiosity or rarity, or that is valued as a memento, remembrance or souvenir
."


and

"Target Shooting Practice and Competition

To be authorized to have restricted firearms for target shooting purposes, an individual must provide proof that he or she practices or competes at an approved shooting club or range. For more information about approved shooting clubs and ranges, contact the appropriate provincial or territorial CFO by calling 1-800-731-4000.
"

It goes on. Here's the link

Restricted Firearms - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

So the REASON Canada has less gun crime is not so much the fact that we have LESS gun ownership than the US , because we do, BUT the fact that these guns are not floating around as easily as they are in the US with people having easier access to open and conceal carry a weapon.

It really is a simple concept. Not sure why you aren't getting it, especially after NETWIT said she tried to get one and couldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2015, 09:31 PM
 
3,153 posts, read 2,070,697 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
So the REASON Canada has less gun crime is not so much the fact that we have LESS gun ownership than the US , because we do, BUT the fact that these guns are not floating around as easily as they are in the US with people having easier access to open and conceal carry a weapon.

It really is a simple concept. Not sure why you aren't getting it, especially after NETWIT said she tried to get one and couldn't.

Legal guns do not "float around" in the US


People have been denied by the NICS background check in the US for no apparent reason. A very minor blemish can be ground for denial....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2015, 09:34 PM
 
520 posts, read 412,805 times
Reputation: 821
It's so obviously demographics as was stated multiple times above. I mean you have much smaller percentages of the races that have crime rates that are multiples higher per capita than other races. The Asians and whites in America by themselves would have a similar crime rate to northern Europe and Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2015, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,166 posts, read 1,750,098 times
Reputation: 2630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
It's so obviously demographics as was stated multiple times above....
I disagree. Leaving aside the criminal element, which ignores gun control laws anyway, it boils down to one thing: attitude.

What do I mean by this? Let's ask the question: why do you need a gun?

American: For protection, maybe some hunting, or practice on the range.
Canadian: For hunting, or practice on the range.

See the difference? The Canadian attitude is not that guns are for defense or protection; they are for sporting pursuits. Some Canadians, of course, wish that we did not have so many controls in place, so they could use guns for defense, as our American friends do. But for the most part, I think Canadians are satisfied with the status quo. As I mentioned before, Canadian Junior is not going to find Daddy's loaded gun in the dresser drawer ("its for protection!"), and play with it. Nor are we likely to have George Zimmermans draw down on kids eating a bag of Skittles.

It's not demographics. If we leave aside the criminal element, it's attitude. The reason why Canadians own guns is vastly different from the reason why Americans own guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2015, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,166 posts, read 1,750,098 times
Reputation: 2630
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Rifles and shotguns aren't always easy for women to handle correctly.
Interestingly, our competitive events were not segregated into Mens and Womens events when I was competitive shooting. All shooters were equal.

And a lot of the women were damn fine shots. Next to me on the firing line in a match in Montreal back in about 1982 or 1983, was a woman who would go on to represent Canada at the 1984 Olympics. And I lost a private bet to a woman as to who would shoot better at a certain match--I lost. A nice dinner was on the line, but it was a bet I didn't mind losing. She was a crack shot and quite attractive besides.

Handling a rifle or shotgun is not difficult. Pretty much anybody, man or woman, can do it after a couple of minutes' instruction. Handling it safely, however, and shooting it accurately; is another matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2015, 11:08 PM
 
Location: Murrieta California
2,992 posts, read 3,745,405 times
Reputation: 2127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Everyone knows criminals will get guns somehow, but it is not a coincidence that countries with stricter gun control laws have less gun crime.
Americans argue that it's a certain criminal gang element that makes their stats so high ( while ignoring accidental gun deaths ). Even if that is true, I personally believe that if the US had had stricter gun control laws, things might just be a little less violent.
Absolutely false. Switzerland has far higher gun ownership than the US and very low gun crime. The gun laws in Canada certainly isn't stopping all the shootings in Surrey BC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top