Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 12:06 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
So why you got denied?? If you record is clean, no history of mental illness and you use the pistol for target shooting you should have been approved.
If I read her reply correctly, if she said "For self defense because I keep running into this wolf/coyote when I'm out and about", that's why. She would basically have to live in the woods, in the middle of nowhere, like, working in forestry or something to be allowed to carry a hand gun on her person.

If she said "Target shooting", then it shouldn't have been a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 12:07 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
What the right to self defense or "attitude" has anything to do with the number of gun crimes?? Again, legal gun owners do not commit crimes...
You are correct, Saturno. Legal gun owners do not commit crimes.

In Canada, this means that legal gun owners do not use guns to defend themselves. Except in certain prescribed circumstances, it is illegal for a Canadian gun owner to defend him- or herself with a firearm. Legal firearms owners know this, and never use their guns for self-defense.

Gun crime comes from the criminal element, which chooses to ignore gun controls.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:17 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
If I read her reply correctly, if she said "For self defense because I keep running into this wolf/coyote when I'm out and about", that's why. She would basically have to live in the woods, in the middle of nowhere, like, working in forestry or something to be allowed to carry a hand gun on her person.

If she said "Target shooting", then it shouldn't have been a problem.
Right, but I didn't actually apply - I asked my brother the cop whether it was possible for me to get one to defend myself against the coyote. He said, nope. I said that is what I thought.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:18 AM

^^ Ah. lol

Old 06-02-2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I'm pretty sure that we can get you a rifle sling in pink. Worst comes to worst, let me know--a friend is a hobbyist leatherworker, and can make pretty much anything, and I'm sure he could craft a pink rifle sling.

You are correct about the wild animal that does not run away, and I'd suggest just getting out of there. An animal's natural instinct is to run; those that don't could be rabid. A gun would help; but simply backing away and leaving the scene would, it seems to me, be the best option.

Besides, handguns are notoriously hard to shoot accurately. It's not like in the movies, where the Good Guy makes every shot. Have you ever shot one?
Well, when the animal is in my actual yard....and I keep running into him on my normal daily rounds, which don't take me into any wild country...that's where my problem arises. Otherwise I am a big believer in live-and-let-live. And yes, I have shot a hand gun, and as per an expert marksman, I turn out to be a better shot than my two other brothers who are not cops.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:27 AM

^^^ Get a GM6 .50 cal. (which is non-restricted in Canada, btw), set it up on your porch, and give him a warning shot he won't soon forget. lol

Sounds like the bastard is stalking you. Only a matter of time.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
^^^ Get a GM6 .50 cal. (which is non-restricted in Canada, btw), set it up on your porch, and give him a warning shot he won't soon forget. lol

I got a trapper to come in this past year. He caught a couple of coyotes which weren't my animal but also spotted wolf tracks on two occasions. But this is now the second year I haven't seen the coyote/wolf so I think maybe he died. At least I am not running into him any more when I go out the back door of the barn. He had the nerve to hunch his shoulders at me, like a prelude to a jump when I shouted at him. I banged the metal gate against the railroad tie until it rang and only then did he stop staring at me on one of the last times I saw him.

Grrrr.

ETA: I have long guns, but for the stuff I am doing around here, I never seemed to have one along when I needed it. I thought a hand gun might be easier that way if I could just strap it on.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:

That's a little overkill, isn't it?

Me, I'd just get my .22, set up in a second-storey window, and plug the animal between the eyes. Even with my cheap rifle's post-and-notch sights, I could do that.

Aside: Do any Americans find it strange that we Canadians--who, according to some of your more right-wing commentators, are not allowed to own guns--are discussing guns, owning guns, and shooting guns?

Old 06-02-2015, 12:40 AM

672 posts, read 810,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
You are correct, Saturno. Legal gun owners do not commit crimes.

In Canada, this means that legal gun owners do not use guns to defend themselves. Except in certain prescribed circumstances, it is illegal for a Canadian gun owner to defend him- or herself with a firearm. Legal firearms owners know this, and never use their guns for self-defense.

Gun crime comes from the criminal element, which chooses to ignore gun controls.
What are those prescribed circumstances?

Old 06-02-2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
What are those prescribed circumstances?
Generally speaking:

1. You must be backed into a corner with no means of escape.
2. The other guy has a gun and is threatening you with it.

That's about it. If the other guy has a baseball bat, you may not use a gun. (You can, however, use any club-like object, such as a chair.) If the other guy has no weapon, you may not use any weapon. Canadian self-defense law starts from the position that like defends like.

Note that always, if you have a means of escape, you are expected to use it. Not using it can lead to charges. "Defense of property" is not a valid self-defense in Canadian courts. Only "defense of life" counts.

Canadian self-defense law is complicated, but I think this gives the major parts of it.

Edited to add: The "I thought he was going to hit me, so I hit him back first" defense never works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada