Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 01:07 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
That's a little overkill, isn't it?

Me, I'd just get my .22, set up in a second-storey window, and plug the animal between the eyes. Even with my cheap rifle's post-and-notch sights, I could do that.

Aside: Do any Americans find it strange that we Canadians--who, according to some of your more right-wing commentators, are not allowed to own guns--are discussing guns, owning guns, and shooting guns?
It's totally overkill. I was just being sarcastic. lol
Nobody needs one of those for any reason other than war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 02:25 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
That's a little overkill, isn't it?

Me, I'd just get my .22, set up in a second-storey window, and plug the animal between the eyes. Even with my cheap rifle's post-and-notch sights, I could do that.

Aside: Do any Americans find it strange that we Canadians--who, according to some of your more right-wing commentators, are not allowed to own guns--are discussing guns, owning guns, and shooting guns?
Omg! YES we are sooo impressed!!

Old 06-02-2015, 06:28 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Absolutely false. Switzerland has far higher gun ownership than the US and very low gun crime. The gun laws in Canada certainly isn't stopping all the shootings in Surrey BC.
It certainly isn't stopping Winnipeg from getting the dubious distinction of Canada's murder capital several times.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:32 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
I disagree. Leaving aside the criminal element, which ignores gun control laws anyway, it boils down to one thing: attitude.

What do I mean by this? Let's ask the question: why do you need a gun?

American: For protection, maybe some hunting, or practice on the range.
Canadian: For hunting, or practice on the range.

See the difference? The Canadian attitude is not that guns are for defense or protection; they are for sporting pursuits. Some Canadians, of course, wish that we did not have so many controls in place, so they could use guns for defense, as our American friends do. But for the most part, I think Canadians are satisfied with the status quo. As I mentioned before, Canadian Junior is not going to find Daddy's loaded gun in the dresser drawer ("its for protection!"), and play with it. Nor are we likely to have George Zimmermans draw down on kids eating a bag of Skittles.

It's not demographics. If we leave aside the criminal element, it's attitude. The reason why Canadians own guns is vastly different from the reason why Americans own guns.
Mentality is a major factor. I agree with the idea of someone protecting themselves. I also want to say that there is a certain "siege" mentality that I find here in the USA, that has always been there.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:15 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:

And a lot of the women were damn fine shots. Next to me on the firing line in a match in Montreal back in about 1982 or 1983, was a woman who would go on to represent Canada at the 1984 Olympics..
Sounds like Linda Thom to me! I think she won a gold medal!

Old 06-02-2015, 08:18 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Interestingly, our competitive events were not segregated into Mens and Womens events when I was competitive shooting. All shooters were equal.

And a lot of the women were damn fine shots. Next to me on the firing line in a match in Montreal back in about 1982 or 1983, was a woman who would go on to represent Canada at the 1984 Olympics. And I lost a private bet to a woman as to who would shoot better at a certain match--I lost. A nice dinner was on the line, but it was a bet I didn't mind losing. She was a crack shot and quite attractive besides.

Handling a rifle or shotgun is not difficult. Pretty much anybody, man or woman, can do it after a couple of minutes' instruction. Handling it safely, however, and shooting it accurately; is another matter.
Oh, yeah, I know women can handle a shotgun well. I've seen 'em at the driving range. Excellent shots. But my co-worker friend has quite a few different guns (don't ask me what kind they are; I totally forget, sorry), and a couple of them are very powerful. It took me a while to get used to them to the extent I did, but I know I still wasn't handling it optimally.

But with some more lessons, I'll be a bada$$!

Old 06-02-2015, 12:47 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Legal guns do not "float around" in the US

People have been denied by the NICS background check in the US for no apparent reason. A very minor blemish can be ground for denial....

Canada

Handgun owner who does not need handgun for job, owns hand gun. Hand gun must be locked up and ammunition kept separately. Owner MUST get permission to transport gun and that gun is ONLY going to go to a gun club's shooting range.

USA

Hand gun owner can have gun for target practice etc...but also for protection. That owner can have gun on their person ANYTIME depending on local laws. Some can even open carry their hand gun or weapon in many, many states. Those guns are on the move...hence they are floating around and moving throughout the US in a completely different manner than in Canada.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Absolutely false. Switzerland has far higher gun ownership than the US and very low gun crime. The gun laws in Canada certainly isn't stopping all the shootings in Surrey BC.
You misread my statement. I said

" countries with stricter gun control laws " . Switzerland has strict gun control laws and the militia element of their law does make gun ownership high.

People always use Switzerland as an example, while ignoring the unique system of an armed militia.

This BBC article explains it well.

"A special permit is needed to carry a gun in public - and is usually issued only to people who work in security, once they have passed theoretical and practical exams"

"When I meet Mathias, a PhD student and serving officer, at his apartment in a snowy suburb of Zurich, I realise the rules have got stricter than I imagined. Mathias keeps his army pistol in the guest room of his home, in a desk drawer hidden under the printer paper. It is a condition of the interview that I don't give his surname or hint at his address.
"I do as the army advises and I keep the barrel separately from my pistol," he explains seriously. "I keep the barrel in the basement so if anyone breaks into my apartment and finds the gun, it's useless to them."
He shakes out the gun holster. "And we don't get bullets any more," he adds. "The Army doesn't give ammunition now - it's all kept in a central arsenal." This measure was introduced by Switzerland's Federal Council in 2007."

Switzerland guns: Living with firearms the Swiss way - BBC News

Also the straw man argument that people who are for strict gun control laws think that suddenly gun crimes will go away is really, really tired.
As long as there are guns, there will be gun crime. It's the AMOUNT of gun crime that gun control tries to reign in.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Harrumph. If that is intended for me, I do not have any blemishes on my record. It is basically impossible to own a hand gun for any practical purpose unless you are suggesting I should break the law and pretend to be a collector. While I have no problems bending the law when it comes to speed limits, I wouldn't bend it even slightly for firearms and I would never want to reflect poorly on my RCMP brother, or my RCMP uncles with something that serious.

To be honest, I'm not too sure what the last few pages of this thread are about any more....
Saturno, like JohnSoCal, are just looking at stats of licensing, ownership etc without understanding the facts behind the numbers.

The whole history of gun ownership in Canada has ALWAYS been very different than in the US. That's why American coming up for the gold rush in the 1800's had to check their weapons when the entered a town.
We did NOT have a US style wild west.

Perhaps Saturno, being from Italy does what a lot of Europeans do, and assumes that Canadian and US history are much the same.

JohnSoCal should know better...but who knows.

"Pre-1892
Justices of the Peace had the authority to impose a six-month jail term on anyone carrying a handgun, if the person did not have reasonable cause to fear assault against life or property."

Interesting read.

History of Firearms Control in Canada: Up to and Including the Firearms Act - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Last edited by Natnasci; 06-02-2015 at 01:16 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
So why you got denied?? If you record is clean, no history of mental illness and you use the pistol for sporting purposes (target shooting) you should have been approved.
It's like you haven't read ANY of my posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada