Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 05:29 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,737,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
fusion. dude. chill. seriously.

I can't and won't negate your experience (s) in Detroit. I believe what you say has happened actually has happened. There are aggressive drivers everywhere (heck, even here in the very laid-back South). I could write about some bad experiences I've had with fellow drivers in Ontario, but suffice to say I've had them.

MY experience was that I didn't often hear horns in the Detroit suburbs in the years we lived there and where drove 365 days/year. Honestly. I'm not making that up any more than you're making up your experience.

And I truly do find people - in public - to be very uptight in southern Ontario, driving or not. Perhaps I was the same way when I lived there, idk. It's too bad, because I'd like to come back home to visit more often.
Chill about what lol - I am chill.. how can you accurately guage my level of chill factor based on what I write here... Hey i'm sure in person (for his sake I hope so) Hobbes isn't as what Nat describes best as someone who comes off as academic and remote in real life or not as strong.. With that said, I stick by my comment, it was a bonehead comment to generalize 28 million people as cold, standoffish and reserved - its silly if you think about it.. If anything I think Hobbes would do well if he wants to continue commenting on anglo canadians to really and honestly get to know more of us in real life instead of what he's read about in a book, what he reads about in a silly article or what his friends tell him about us.. He has seen/experienced things from a limited perspective up here from what I have observed.

As for driving in large cities - I also think what I said about GTA drivers is true - look at the GTA, its actually quite a large and densely populated metro by Canamerican standards - part of that is people are going to be impatient loons on the road - no doubt about it.. I'll tell you something though, I drive the streets of this place every damned day back and forth to work and the Sloooooooomooooooo's are every bit as annoying as the I own the road get the f out of my way types and there are plenty enough slooomooooo's in the GTA... It seems like these days there's either someone either perpetually mellowed out and driving like they have all time plus a day to get to whereever they are going or the road rage type who has zero consideration for others and thinks the only important person on earth is himself - especially if he drives a bloody BMW or a SUV..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 06:32 PM

19 posts, read 24,616 times
It really depends where in the country you are talking about. I find that for the most part Canadians are socially appropriate. You're not usually going to have your head chewed off in public randomly like you might in other countries. But it's hard to know if this can be construed as "niceness" or not. Take southern Ontario for example, most people here are what I would call socially appropriate, not necessarily nice. They understand that there is a social protocol and they abide by it. But I have also noticed here, that those who do nice gestures often do it without sincerity, in a sort of haughty, righteously arrogant, patronizing fashion. I wouldn't call this "niceness" as defined by sincere gestures of seflessness and civility. There often seems to be undertones of a brewing ulterior motive. "This is going to earn me brownie points in the long run." or "Aren't I just an amazing person. Look how nice I am everybody.". That kind of thing. Very fake. On the other hand, you have places like Atlantic Canada and Saskatchewan, where from my experience I would define as being quaint and hearty, and absolutely friendly. They are sincere people who'd give you the shirt off their back and bring you food when you are sick. That kind of thing. I was once stranded in Moose Jaw when I was 16, late at night, it must have been 11pm at least, and an old couple in their 60's whom noticed me from a mile away standing outside of a closed convenient store walked all the way up to me, not only asked me if I was lost but asked if I needed a ride somewhere, they drove me about half an hour out of their way to a small farming community where I needed to get to, and absolutely refused any compensation for the gesture afterward. This kind of thing, these kind of people, don't exist all over the country as much as I hate to say it. They are a rarity anywhere but I like to think they represent Saskatchewan well, from my experience, and the maritimes too. I would assume Alberta is much like Saskatchewan, although maybe a little rougher around the edges, but with just as much sincerity. Manitobans have been socially ambiguous or inept from my experience. I wouldn't know how to begin to define them. But anyway, my point is there are all different kinds of "nice" in this country. So your question really depends on what kind of nice you are talking about.

Last edited by pizzathehut; 04-29-2015 at 06:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada