U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 10:36 PM

2,564 posts, read 2,182,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
So people can have their kids opt out entirely from this class? Unless I'm misunderstanding the Huffington Post link, that's what it seems to be saying.

In that case, I don't really see a problem, even allowing for cultural differences.
Yep. There is an opt-in, opt-out clause that can be requested by parents. By the time kids reach middle school, most students can already make their own independent judgments anyway on which courses to take and not to take for their own benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Well, there is that too, but how many years has it been now since homosexuality has been accepted as normal and kids have been made aware of that? I recall asking my sister about stuff like this a few years back and she says it still goes on. I said how can it when supposedly there's a zero tolerance policy against bullying, and she says it does. Does that go on in your kids' school?

It seems to me that just like chickens pick on the Chicken Little who is different, kids pick up on differences too and if it isn't one thing, it's another. And I'm not saying that any of it is okay, I'm just wondering what exactly stops it.

I recall "***" being tossed around by boys at other boys when I was in school and I think the issue wasn't homosexuality, but rather boys trying to hit other boys where they thought it would hurt without any understanding of the word. As far as I know, none of the boys who were bullied with that particular name were anything but straight.
It's still very prevalent. Even at my undergraduate university, I know many students casually throw around terms like "gay" or "f-g" in a derogatory manner, often at the detriment of their peers who are in fact gay or lesbian. It became so prevalent in the students' everyday verbiage that our university administration had to start a full-out campaign about 3 years ago - with posters plastered everywhere around campus - educating all students not to use terms that may be hurtful to others. If this can happen in a scholarly and mature environment like a university campus, you can be almost certain that it's also prevalent in high school and elementary schools, where verbal bullying (and now sexting and online bullying via social media) has long been common practice.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:31 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,542,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
It's still very prevalent. Even at my undergraduate university, I know many students casually throw around terms like "gay" or "f-g" in a derogatory manner, often at the detriment of their peers who are in fact gay or lesbian. It became so prevalent in the students' everyday verbiage that our university administration had to start a full-out campaign about 3 years ago - with posters plastered everywhere around campus - educating all students not to use terms that may be hurtful to others. If this can happen in a scholarly and mature environment like a university campus, you can be almost certain that it's also prevalent in high school and elementary schools, where verbal bullying (and now sexting and online bullying via social media) has long been common practice.
So why is it that zero tolerance on bullying behaviour can be, in fact, tolerated?

Old 06-10-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
So why is it that zero tolerance on bullying behaviour can be, in fact, tolerated?
Not sure I understand your question. Tolerance being tolerated? Who said bullying is being tolerated? You can't systemically eradicate all bullying. The best our government and society can do is to inform and educate.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:15 AM

5,692 posts, read 6,542,363 times
Quote:
Not sure I understand your question. Tolerance being tolerated? Who said bullying is being tolerated? You can't systemically eradicate all bullying. The best our government and society can do is to inform and educate.
Sorry. I'm really tired. What I meant to ask is when schools say they have a 'zero tolerance' policy on bullying, what are the consequences for a bully? If there are none, then what exactly does 'zero tolerance' mean?

Old 06-11-2015, 12:25 AM

3,020 posts, read 2,698,639 times
Quote:
Nope. Just because you can play with words and write whole sentences doesn't hide the obvious discrimination and homophobia in your comments. If you really wanted to include all sexual orientations, you would've included A LOT more than just listing those select few borderline criminal behaviors. Yet, not surprisingly, you chose to selectively list those sexual behaviors that have highly negative or criminal nature attached as if they are all equivalents to completely legal and legitimate marriages between same sex couples.
Hey, there's no need to focus on the negative. Lighten up and pull that carot from your butt. You know that transgender is quite common these days and become more socially acceptable all the time. Asexuality is definitely stigmatized just as all non-heterosexual orientations are, and that's not right. Being called a virgin is probably more derogatory than being called gay these days. It's not even close to being borderline criminal to be asexual, at least in my opinion. Opinions: we all them. It's okay to disagree without getting all bent out of shape over it. Cheers.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:30 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,640,132 times
You still didn't tell us why half of your comparisons were criminal, glacier.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Sorry. I'm really tired. What I meant to ask is when schools say they have a 'zero tolerance' policy on bullying, what are the consequences for a bully? If there are none, then what exactly does 'zero tolerance' mean?
Ah I see. Thanks for the clarification. I graduated from uni and grad school fairly recently. I don't have direct experience dealing with my school administrators about bullying or sexual harassment, but I've a pretty good idea how my school deals with these when they do come up.

Most of the time, school admins, even at highly prestigious Ivy League universities, deal with sexual harassment and LGBT issues in a very passive, reactive manner. Basically, very little education or awareness until something really really bad happening at the school gets picked up by the media. Typically, universities like to deal with this internally first so as to not ruin their reputation and rankings, but internal mechanisms can only go so far - the worst that can happen to an offender of sexual assault or other forms of harassment is suspension, or "suspension pending hearing" with some internal school administrator board.

The most prominent case happening at a prestigious university recently is the "Mattress Performance" case at Columbia University in NYC. Long story short, a male student being accused of sexual assault and rape was found "not responsible" by Columbia's internal private investigation. The alleged victim of rape protested for 2 years without avail. So now, the alleged victim constantly carries a 50 lbs mattress (the dorm mattress on which she was allegedly raped) around campus at all times, even during her graduation ceremony at Columbia, to raise awareness and protest the university's hush-hush, sweep-under-the-rug style of investigation.

That specific case at Columbia caused such an uproar that 22 other Columbia students simultaneously came out and sued the university for its lax attitude towards bullying and sexual harassment. This also provoked a sharp political response all the way up to the White House, causing President Obama to establish the White House Task Force to Protect Students from Sexual Assault in January 2014, to formally and systematically review all major universities and colleges' compliance with regards to bullying and sexual assault.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:29 PM

3,020 posts, read 2,698,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
You still didn't tell us why half of your comparisons were criminal, glacier.
The object is to teach children about the real world, both good and bad. If you're teaching them about sexual orientations, it's good to teach them that there are good ones and bad ones.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:56 AM

7,265 posts, read 6,594,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
The object is to teach children about the real world, both good and bad. If you're teaching them about sexual orientations, it's good to teach them that there are good ones and bad ones.
I agree with that. Kids need to learn about both sides of the coin. Kids today need more advanced sex education at an earlier age than the sex ed we got in school 50 and 60 years ago. We got basic sex education but nobody told us about the various sexual orientations, and for sure nobody told us about sex abuse or about predatory elders who are child sex abusers. Perhaps if children learned what sexual abuse is during sex education, and what to do about it or avoid it, there might be less victims of child sex abuse. Since children with more well informed awareness about sex abuse may be less likely to be easily misled, guilt-tripped or coerced by child predators.

I sometimes wonder if some of the people who complain the loudest about children getting sex education at school are themselves predators who are guilty of sex abuse of children. Child sex abusers would have more to lose on a personal level, their purpose would be defeated if children are better educated and more aware of the facts and are thus better prepared to recognize, avoid and report predatory behaviour of abusers.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or