U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 09:56 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,149,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAndres View Post

Usual Fusion2 tactic: go after the person because you can't refute the point.
Refute the point - how exactly would one refute or confirm said point. Its anecdotal experience at best and really your own so its a fallacy to expect me to refute it. Anyway, most people in Toronto like anywhere else get married, have kids etc etc.. That means they had more success in the dating scene prior to their marriage than some who have had a hard go at things and are perpetually single and only have dates with Palmela.

So the most probable explanation for lack of dating success in Toronto is probably relegated to individual issues with a minority of people.

Anyway, I don't really see this discussion as having much to do with the thread and not only that you dug up this thread to talk about your dating woes or your observations in Toronto's party scene - really Paul

Last edited by fusion2; 02-22-2016 at 10:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 10:09 PM

74 posts, read 70,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Refute the point - how exactly would one refute or confirm said point. Its anecdotal experience at best and really your own so its a fallacy to expect me to refute it. Anyway, most people in Toronto like anywhere else get married, have kids etc etc.. That means they had more success in the dating scene prior to their marriage than some who have had a hard go at things and are perpetually single and only have dates with Palmela.

So the most probable explanation for lack of dating success in Toronto is probably relegated to individual issues with a minority of people.

Anyway, I don't really see this discussion as having much to do with the thread and not only that you dug up this thread to talk about your dating woes or your observations in Toronto's party scene - really Paul
See...you just can't not go ad hominem, can you? Remarkable.

I have no dating woes. I am long happily married to a very awesome (American) woman.

I have many friends for whom I wish happy relationships, but who constantly complain about the things I discuss.

I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate your dismissal of their actual life experiences as "anecdotes" and therefore invalid. But I guess a superiority complex denigrates others' actual life events to that in your mind.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
See...you just can't not go ad hominem, can you? Remarkable.

I have no dating woes. I am long happily married to a very awesome (American) woman.

I have many friends for whom I wish happy relationships, but who constantly complain about the things I discuss.
I don't get it - on the one hand you are using the ad hominem card against me yet on the other you are a married man, in these forums complaining about how poor the dating scene is in Toronto. You have unearthed a thread that died 4 months ago not to talk about the sex-ed curriculum in Toronto but to make a pot shot at the dating/party scene in Toronto. Its kind of odd don't you think? Its kind of funny that you would say that I am remarkable because I think unearthing this thread is the 'remarkable' action of the day and not my commentary.

Of course you will attract people who have bad experiences. That is what you are posting about so those who have them will reinforce what you are saying. It doesn't mean everyone agrees with you it means you attract what you project.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I don't get it - on the one hand you are using the ad hominem card against me yet on the other you are a married man, in these forums complaining about how poor the dating scene is in Toronto. You have unearthed a thread that died 4 months ago not to talk about the sex-ed curriculum in Toronto but to make a pot shot at the dating/party scene in Toronto. Its kind of odd don't you think? Its kind of funny that you would say that I am remarkable because I think unearthing this thread is the 'remarkable' action of the day and not my commentary.

Of course you will attract people who have bad experiences. That is what you are posting about so those who have them will reinforce what you are saying. It doesn't mean everyone agrees with you it means you attract what you project.
To paraphrase someone I can't remember who it was, 'ah, if we had to discuss all the things that you "don't get"...'

Your bizarre fascination with the psychoanalysis of myself aside, my point stands.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate your dismissal of their actual life experiences as "anecdotes" and therefore invalid. But I guess a superiority complex denigrates others' actual life events to that in your mind.
Hey i'm not dismissing any human beings experience. It is their own and it is every bit as valid as mine. As long as they don't generalize the experiences of everyone else as being the experience of everyone. I think that is a remarkably fair and balanced approach to things.

What is underlined just has no basis.. If someone says my experience in Toronto is so and so that is fine.. If someone says the experience in Toronto is so in so than yeah - that is where the line has been crossed. If you think about it and you take the emotion out of it I am being very logical.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
To paraphrase someone I can't remember who it was, 'ah, if we had to discuss all the things that you "don't get"...'

Your bizarre fascination with the psychoanalysis of myself aside, my point stands.
Well I can honestly say I don't get the first part of this...

As for the 'psychoanalysis - you're posting on a forum.. That opens your posts up for discussion. If you don't want to discuss than you can feel free not to respond to my posts.. You're not making any logical arguments so there isn't much left but the weird and unsubstantiated now is there.

I guess we both find one another bizarre lol.. Meh that's the way the world turns.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Hey i'm not dismissing any human beings experience. It is their own and it is every bit as valid as mine. As long as they don't generalize the experiences of everyone else as being the experience of everyone. I think that is a remarkably fair and balanced approach to things.

What is underlined just has no basis.. If someone says my experience in Toronto is so and so that is fine.. If someone says the experience in Toronto is so in so than yeah - that is where the line has been crossed. If you think about it and you take the emotion out of it I am being very logical.
Well that's a complete red herring, but (quite earnestly I say) maybe you don't get it: Of course one can only talk about their experiences and draw conclusions based on those. But when those experiences add up, and there's precious little if any contra-experience, then any statistics 101 class will teach you that a it's perfectly valid to draw a conclusion about the whole population from a reasonable sample size of experience.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Well I can honestly say I don't get the first part of this...

As for the 'psychoanalysis - you're posting on a forum.. That opens your posts up for discussion. If you don't want to discuss than you can feel free not to respond to my posts.. You're not making any logical arguments so there is much left but the weird and unsubstantiated now is there.

I guess we both find one another bizarre lol.. Meh that's the way the world turns.
Meh, the first part was a joke reference, probably poorly made on my part.

But basically it boils down to: "if you want to discuss the point, great. If you want to discuss me, well...ok, that's your right I guess, but it just shows you don't have the goods to discuss the actual point so you evade."

For the record, I obviously have no idea if you're bizarre. But I do know I am. Another ad hominem by you, but one I'll concede!

Old 02-22-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Well that's a complete red herring, but (quite earnestly I say) maybe you don't get it: Of course one can only talk about their experiences and draw conclusions based on those. But when those experiences add up, and there's precious little if any contra-experience, then any statistics 101 class will teach you that a it's perfectly valid to draw a conclusion about the whole population from a reasonable sample size of experience.
Nah - have you ever read an article and seen the loonie toon responses by the commentators and think - holy crow where'd those people come from.. I think its more along those lines Paul than them being a representative sample of a whole population.

Besides, most of the comments come from 'new' accounts.. I think we can draw our conclusions about the veracity of said accounts.. The Canada forum Is particularly peppered by the aboot bandit who has 1 million lives.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Meh, the first part was a joke reference, probably poorly made on my part.

But basically it boils down to: "if you want to discuss the point, great. If you want to discuss me, well...ok, that's your right I guess, but it just shows you don't have the goods to discuss the actual point so you evade."

For the record, I obviously have no idea if you're bizarre. But I do know I am. Another ad hominem by you, but one I'll concede!
Well I don't really want to discuss 'You' Paul.. As for your point I'll stick by my contention that it is nonsensical to try to encapsulate the dating scene or success/failures of dating in Toronto to the limited number of people who have those experiences in a forum.. I especially think its silly unearthing dead threads about topics that have nothing to do with it.. That said, if you want to be the Toronto has a dead party/dating scene and Torontonians are socially awkward and cold people champion than by all means go ahead and be associated with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or