Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 04:33 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Lets not fool ourselves to think that it boils down to anything beyond that. It is most likely the driving factor.
I just don't get this gay bigotry unless one is a deeply embedded closet case angry with his own identity and trying to be something he is not or a religious fundamentalist who takes translation either far too literally or may be interpreting things incorrectly.. Either way it just doesn't compute with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Where's Art Linkletter when you need him?

An experiment with a group of adolescents in a room all chatting and texting thinking they're not being overheard, would have these same parents crapping in their drawers over how much sexual info familiarity these kids are further ahead of the curve than they were.

Sometimes it takes a contentious item like this to highlight by just how much people have failed to advance in critical thinking skills without prejudice or bias.
Are you sure they weren't 'sexting'

Old 05-07-2015, 05:40 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,027 times
Funny you should mention that because the vast majority of the bigotry in this issue is anti-religion. If it wasn't supported and to the benefit of the state, then some of the anti-religion rhetoric would no doubt constitute hate speech...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
I'm starting to hear some anti gay bigotry with some of the interviews I'm seeing.

Bloody hell.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:50 PM

Yeah, and most of these kids have parents who were seeing the same things on the Internet when they were kids...

Maybe a good compromise to this would be that the province produce a booklet with a general guideline about sexual health and current issues surrounding the Internet. The parents can then review the information and use it as the basis for further research and instructing their own children as they see fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
You're right, there is a lot of stuff out there for kids to see, specially on the Internet. That is why I believe a curriculum like this is very much needed.

I think a lot of people can probably relate to what you're saying. I agree, kids need guidance on these matters. Obviously Parents play an important role, but for many people these subjects are not openly talked about. What better place to learn about these things than in school.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:53 PM

Not really because these parents talked the same way when they were the same age...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Where's Art Linkletter when you need him?

An experiment with a group of adolescents in a room all chatting and texting thinking they're not being overheard, would have these same parents crapping in their drawers over how much sexual info familiarity these kids are further ahead of the curve than they were.

Sometimes it takes a contentious item like this to highlight by just how much people have failed to advance in critical thinking skills without prejudice or bias.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:36 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I just don't get this gay bigotry unless one is a deeply embedded closet case angry with his own identity and trying to be something he is not or a religious fundamentalist who takes translation either far too literally or may be interpreting things incorrectly.. Either way it just doesn't compute with me.
It's a bit more complicated then that. As a non-bigoted straight man, I'll explain it to you, because I don't feel it but I do get it. One reason to be that way, is that you have strong identification with a gender binary and traditional gender roles. Homosexuality, being a deviation from those norms, challenges the idea that being a man or woman and all of the assumptions about what that means are set in stone and unquestionable. That shakes up some people's sense of their personal identity at some level and even if they haven't thought through why they feel perturbed by homosexuality, it makes them uncomfortable or even upset by the phenomenon. It challenges a whole cultural paradigm that's more then sexuality, which is why I think gay men that are viewed as soft, and butch lesbians, make people more uncomfortable than, say, bears or lipstick lesbians do. Also why trans people are the most stigmatized of all GLBTQ people. When it comes to kids, it goes beyond that. Even if people are sure of their sexuality, they feel like if homosexuality isn't stigmatized for their kids, they may choose a same sex partner, and that upsets them because they think it will lead to them not having grandchildren, and to their children living a life and being part of a culture that they do not understand and can't identify with. They see homosexuality as a threat that could alienate them from their children and keep them from perpetuating a way of life they understand and can participate in. It's a challenge to their legacy.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It's a bit more complicated then that. As a non-bigoted straight man, I'll explain it to you, because I don't feel it but I do get it. One reason to be that way, is that you have strong identification with a gender binary and traditional gender roles. Homosexuality, being a deviation from those norms, challenges the idea that being a man or woman and all of the assumptions about what that means are set in stone and unquestionable. That shakes up some people's sense of their personal identity at some level and even if they haven't thought through why they feel perturbed by homosexuality, it makes them uncomfortable or even upset by the phenomenon. It challenges a whole cultural paradigm that's more then sexuality, which is why I think gay men that are viewed as soft, and butch lesbians, make people more uncomfortable than, say, bears or lipstick lesbians do. Also why trans people are the most stigmatized of all GLBTQ people. When it comes to kids, it goes beyond that. Even if people are sure of their sexuality, they feel like if homosexuality isn't stigmatized for their kids, they may choose a same sex partner, and that upsets them because they think it will lead to them not having grandchildren, and to their children living a life and being part of a culture that they do not understand and can't identify with. They see homosexuality as a threat that could alienate them from their children and keep them from perpetuating a way of life they understand and can participate in. It's a challenge to their legacy.
I'll buy that as a third reason ... Of course there are a plethora of expalanations either alone or in conjuction with more. I appreciate the insight however and I can't say I disagree with it though I do think some of our biggest critics are those who have latent homosexual tendencies themselves and they are ashamed of these feelings for a variety of reasons. In any event, I do think the onus is on the individual to deal with their own feelings in a healthy way and accept the simplicity of just letting people be who they are. Not just of others but just accepting yourself as well.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Yeah, and most of these kids have parents who were seeing the same things on the Internet when they were kids...

Maybe a good compromise to this would be that the province produce a booklet with a general guideline about sexual health and current issues surrounding the Internet. The parents can then review the information and use it as the basis for further research and instructing their own children as they see fit.
The problem is many parents simply don't deal with the the multitude of issues that surround youth.. Many just sweep things under the rug and hope for the best.. Not quite good enough and I think its great that we have a curriculum that will expose youth to more than just reading, writing and arithmetic and tackle some of the more complex issues that can impact their own lives. We need more open minded people in society, not the other way around.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:12 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'll buy that as a third reason ... Of course there are a plethora of expalanations either alone or in conjuction with more. I appreciate the insight however and I can't say I disagree with it though I do think some of our biggest critics are those who have latent homosexual tendencies themselves and they are ashamed of these feelings for a variety of reasons. In any event, I do think the onus is on the individual to deal with their own feelings in a healthy way and accept the simplicity of just letting people be who they are. Not just of others but just accepting yourself as well.
I thought it was a well thought out post from Bimbam as well and much of that is true. At the same time it is no excuse and people who refuse to challenge themselves are cowards and defaulting to homophobia is a very weak way to develop as a human being.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I thought it was a well thought out post from Bimbam as well and much of that is true. At the same time it is no excuse and people who refuse to challenge themselves are cowards and defaulting to homophobia is a very weak way to develop as a human being.
Oh I agree and understand what Bimbam was saying - his posts are always insightful, well thought out and resonate in a way that makes sense.. This one was no different! I'll stick by what i said however that some of our harshest critics have latent homosexual desires and are ashamed of it but he's absolutely right its very complicated.

In any event you are right on, whatever the reason(s) - its just no excuse and we all need to challenge ourselves and go outside that 'comfort' zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada