U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 06:06 AM

15,994 posts, read 6,305,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Canada seems to be lacking the vehement nature between party's that is evident in the US, if one turns on any am radio station and gets subjected to hours of rightwing talking heads like Kilmead/Carr/Limbaugh etc proclaim liberals are the enemy of the country, then theres FOX entertainment that is the equivalent of the video version of the National Enquirer pumping out falsehoods to prop up the right. And now with current admin in USA there a move to trash the FBI.CIA/NSA/DOJ and lately a move to trash all big companies like Amazon/Walmart/Disney/facebook. Generally America has taken political partisanship to absurd levels whereas Canada while having some political ideological differences is a rather mild place by comparison.
The Sponsorship scandal and some of the ads during the 2004 and 2006 campaigns were pretty vitriolic.

As was the 1995 Quebec referendum and the "pot of boiling water" or words to that effect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 07:48 AM

34,461 posts, read 41,580,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The Sponsorship scandal and some of the ads during the 2004 and 2006 campaigns were pretty vitriolic.

As was the 1995 Quebec referendum and the "pot of boiling water" or words to that effect?
Not saying Canada doesnt get worked up on some issues but those examples you cite happened long ago,the Crucifixion of an entire demographic happens every day in the USA.take the hate venom and vitriol that was leveled at Obama for 8 years,take current Democrats are the enemy of the state attitude theres nothing that pervasive in Canadian political attitudes. tune into Canadian tv or radio and it quickly becomes apparent there no diatribe of hate for ones neighbor going on.
As for the pot of boiling water analogy? the correct inference was to the one way nature of a lobster pot/trap.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:17 PM

12,706 posts, read 8,789,429 times
Quote:
Canada seems to be lacking the vehement nature between party's that is evident in the US, if one turns on any am radio station and gets subjected to hours of rightwing talking heads like Kilmead/Carr/Limbaugh etc proclaim liberals are the enemy of the country, then theres FOX entertainment that is the equivalent of the video version of the National Enquirer pumping out falsehoods to prop up the right. And now with current admin in USA there a move to trash the FBI.CIA/NSA/DOJ and lately a move to trash all big companies like Amazon/Walmart/Disney/facebook. Generally America has taken political partisanship to absurd levels whereas Canada while having some political ideological differences is a rather mild place by comparison.
Agree. We can get worked up sometimes, but overall level heads prevail. I've said this many times, but I take pride that my friends include people of all political stripes. I'm a pretty liberal guy, but enjoy and feel I need, when discussing issues ,to hear the other side as it were. In the end, we seem to agree on the goals, just differ on how to get there.

I can never imagine any PM trash talking our institutions, but then again, poor Americans probably never thought they would have a president doing that very thing.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:00 PM

82 posts, read 50,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
To the original poster.

As you can see so far, Canadian politics is way more flexible than the US model is.....

A further marked difference is the number of female leaders in both Provincial and Federal parties, past and present. If I remember correctly, at one time in the recent past, five out of the 10 Provincial Premiers were women, and the current Ontario Premier, Kathleen Wynn is a self described lesbian, who won a majority in the last election.

Canadians have a long history of "voting parties out of power " as opposed to "voting a party into power ".

With 330 seats in the recently re-organised Federal Parliament, the individual electoral districts can be huge, as each one is supposed to have "about 135,000 people in it ". In northern Ontario, one electoral district is about the same size in square mile area as Florida. Our smallest Province, Prince Edward Island , has a total population of only 145,000 people in it, but it has 4 seats in Parliament. Ontario and Quebec have the largest number of seats, which relates to the population of them.

About a Federal coalition Government. This has happened in the past.. where a general election was held and no one Federal party won a clear majority of the seats in Parliament. The solution is for the two parties with the most elected Members of Parliament to form a co-operative Government, with Cabinet Ministers from both parties, and select a Prime Minister, to lead the coalition. Not surprisingly, a coalition Government can work, as long as both parties are willing to "give and take " equally in how they draft and move legislation in The House.

Don't fall into the trap of trying to assign "American ideology " to Canadian politics. Its a different system, and it works for us. The key in my own opinion, is to remember HOW Canada became a nation..........Not by a bloody war of rebellion but by an Act Of Parliament , in July of 1867. No civil war, no murders of political leaders, no race riots, no lynching.

Jim B.
Canadians are a different people, too. I was reading that the Atlantic provinces were settled by New Englanders. Ontario, too, in addition to people from Pennsylvania and other places in the vicinity. Canada did not get people from Appalachia or the South. If the U.S. didn't have Appalachia or the South, it would have different politics. We get extremes because our regions are so different culturally. Canada has Quebec, of course, but they are even more liberal than English Canada on a lot of issues.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:07 AM

8,608 posts, read 11,106,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf View Post
Canadians are a different people, too. I was reading that the Atlantic provinces were settled by New Englanders. Ontario, too, in addition to people from Pennsylvania and other places in the vicinity. Canada did not get people from Appalachia or the South. If the U.S. didn't have Appalachia or the South, it would have different politics. We get extremes because our regions are so different culturally. Canada has Quebec, of course, but they are even more liberal than English Canada on a lot of issues.
Also a LOT more conservative on a number of issues too.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:15 AM

21,962 posts, read 27,416,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Or at least, they don't necessarily have the same view of what is "conservative" and what is "liberal"!

Old 04-06-2018, 10:10 AM

482 posts, read 429,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Or at least, they don't necessarily have the same view of what is "conservative" and what is "liberal"!
I totally agree with this.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:06 PM

9,451 posts, read 18,377,372 times
Quote:
There's a crisis where many are just unable to discern facts from ideology. Journalism use to be reported, and then people would form an opinion. Now the opinion is unwaveringly formed and media caters to them by spoon-feeding their own little worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcE5aDTszrY

Old 04-08-2018, 09:46 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,168,036 times
Quote:
It's also worth mentioning that the Trudeau Liberals are more leftist right now than the federal Liberals have tended to be. This is traditionally a very centrist party, but due to Trudeau's personality and a willingness to steal some thunder from the truly leftist NDP (that was ascendent until the death of Jack Layton), the federal Liberals have veered left. For the moment anyway.
I don't really think they fundamentally have shifted 'left' - there may be some token areas where they have but in terms of fundamental policy approach i'm failing to see any ideological/foundational shift left that would traumatize most Canadians. I think if there is any 'anger' towards the liberals it wouldn't be due to a social shift left, more than other more practical screw ups.. First thing that comes to mind is arrogance and naivety much more than 'progressive' social policy advancement. If I were J.T - i'd be doing more to curtail the perception of arrogance and naivety vs moving Canada more centre or right on Social policy issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf View Post
Under Justin Trudeau, the Liberal Party seems nothing but left and in an ugly way. .
Oh really now. It would be interesting for you to elaborate on this sentence with a bit more 'meat' to it.. I'd be interested to understand in a more detailed manner what you find 'ugly' about what the Federal liberal Party of Canada under J.T represents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Absolutely - especially for those that like to delve into the grey more than just the simpleton black and white.

Last edited by fusion2; 04-08-2018 at 10:47 PM..

Old 04-09-2018, 04:17 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,168,036 times
Quote:
If you get into this stuff though, you could probably start examining such definitions/views across the entire country and not just delineating 'English' from 'French'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or