U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 02:12 PM

493 posts, read 310,480 times

Advertisements

Canadian labor laws are certainly much better than American ones', but why not move towards more paid vacation? So do all jobs only offer the minimum vacation required, or do some offer 4 or 5 weeks as start?

Old 05-11-2015, 02:29 PM

2,178 posts, read 1,755,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
Canadian labor laws are certainly much better than American ones', but why not move towards more paid vacation? So do all jobs only offer the minimum vacation required, or do some offer 4 or 5 weeks as start?
It is important to remember that the minimums required by law are just that--minimums. Employers are certainly allowed to offer such things as vacation, etc. in excess of the minimums required by law.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:33 PM

21,953 posts, read 27,377,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And no one would suggest it does make sense.

I thought we were talking about the disparities in labour laws, not opportunities.

Obviously the ideal would be to have opportunities along with labour protections.
Most places that have awesome career opportunities don't tend to be the places that have the tighest labour laws and workers' rights, as those who offer such opportunities tend to have a "sink or swim" mindset and want free reign to manage their human resources.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
It is important to remember that the minimums required by law are just that--minimums. Employers are certainly allowed to offer such things as vacation, etc. in excess of the minimums required by law.
True, but do companies do that when it comes to vacation and paid holidays? I know salary obviously they pay higher than minimum, but was curious of actual vacation/holiday package.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:53 PM

2,178 posts, read 1,755,788 times
Quote:
True, but do companies do that when it comes to vacation and paid holidays? I know salary obviously they pay higher than minimum, but was curious of actual vacation/holiday package.
Yes, companies will often do that. If you want to attract the best and brightest, you'd better offer them something above the ordinary.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:06 PM

2,291 posts, read 3,937,631 times
Quote:
I'd say what jambo referred to is pretty much the low end of the spectrum. Excluding low-level service sector jobs (mall, restaurant, etc), after 5 years the average is probably around 4 weeks in vacation time, plus 6-10 paid civic holidays (Thanksgiving, Good Friday, etc). In some places one might have to use one of those weeks between Christmas and New Year's Eve while in other places that wouldn't count.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:28 AM

^^ Can't wait to move to Canada

Old 05-12-2015, 11:31 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,074,934 times
Canada labor laws and perks are still very limited compared to Europe and Australia.

The only real difference with the US is the two weeks vacation federally mandated, maternity leave and a minimum level of severance (2 days for every year worked compared, for example, to Italy where you get 1 month for every year).....still you can get fired/laid off as easily as the US.

On the flip side you get European level wages or so...without the stronger protection...in my view, the worst of both worlds.

I love when people admire the European labor laws without actually knowing anything about it...well let me tell you something about the great European work environment....you do not get a second chance....God forbid, lose your job at 40 and you are finished....I repeat, finished, no company would touch you with a 10 foot pole.

In US you can reinvent yourself at 50 and a company would give you a shot because of that flexibility....

Australia is great...the land of 4 (or 5) weeks mandated vacation and $16 an hour minimum wage....and 40 grand Honda Accords.....

Last edited by saturno_v; 05-12-2015 at 12:42 PM..

Old 05-12-2015, 11:48 AM

18,296 posts, read 10,390,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Most places that have awesome career opportunities don't tend to be the places that have the tighest labour laws and workers' rights, as those who offer such opportunities tend to have a "sink or swim" mindset and want free reign to manage their human resources.
I completely agree to the extent that minimums required for things like severance pay, maternity leave, anti-lock-out legislation, notification of pending lay-offs etc., in no way effect employees or companies productivity, nor would the absence of those types of protections stimulate a "sink or swim" ethic from anyone.

Remember, we're talking about labour laws and not union contracts with negotiated perks.

An employee is not likely to work harder on the premise that a company not giving maternity leave would then be more amenable to suddenly granting same. Most people worth hiring would be smart enough to know companies would make it an overall policy and not to be tampered with by granting it with prejudice.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:00 PM

18,296 posts, read 10,390,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Yes, companies will often do that. If you want to attract the best and brightest, you'd better offer them something above the ordinary.
It was my experience that the concept of companies hiring non-union or staff positions were getting smarter and attaching costs to things in a manner that put the onus on the individual to consider his perks as a "package" with a total cost attached; to wit; you want paid this or that, then you must consider the cost for that in consideration of the total compensation package we've offered. A partial "Flex" compensation, if you will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada