U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 11:27 AM

493 posts, read 310,881 times

Advertisements

Are the labor laws in Canada as generous and nice as in Europe, Australia and New Zealand? How many weeks of paid vacation and holidays are statutory? How long is maternity leave (paid?), paternal leave? I'm particularly interested of Quebec and Ontario.

In America there is no government mandate law; every companies decides what to offer which I don't like!

Old 05-08-2015, 01:19 AM

34,455 posts, read 41,569,541 times
Vacation days can vary by province and/or company but generally an employee gets 2 weeks vacation per year with a one week addition for every 5 years worked for an individual company.
Canadas labour laws are an extensive read=
http://www.labour.gc.ca/eng/standard...st/index.shtml
Maternity benefits in Quebec=
Maternity benefits > Types of benefits > Wage earner > QPIP

Old 05-08-2015, 03:26 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,728,504 times
Pretty much every First World country has better workers' rights than the United States. United States is more similar to China than to Canada in that aspect. Employers have all the power here so if you live in a US city with a bad economy expect abusive and unfair treatment.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:24 PM

12,704 posts, read 8,786,090 times
Legislated Vacation time Federally and Provincially.
Paid Maternity/Paternity leave.
Severance pay. There are federal standards

Termination, Layoff or Dismissal: Labour Standards - Labour Program

and provincial ones..this on is for B.C.

Termination, Layoff or Dismissal: Labour Standards - Labour Program

Severance of course exist in the US but it is not law. Per US Department of Labour

"There is no requirement in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) for severance pay. Severance pay is a matter of agreement between an employer and an employee (or the employee's representative). "

I'm sure there are other differences but those are some of the main ones.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:45 PM

498 posts, read 426,735 times
Alberta just went Commie. 30 hour work week coming right up. Too bad there will be no work in a year.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:25 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,016,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Pretty much every First World country has better workers' rights than the United States. United States is more similar to China than to Canada in that aspect. Employers have all the power here so if you live in a US city with a bad economy expect abusive and unfair treatment.
I am going to assume that the China comparison is hyperbole.

From personal experience I must say that when the economy was bad I missed my old Canadian labour laws. Living and working in Florida when the economy crashed and seeing the shi*ty benefits offered under those conditions definitely made me appreciate what was offered in Toronto more.

On the flip side when the economy is good and you are in a vibrant large business centre, I would much rather be in the US. The competitiveness in the market allows you to negotiate perks that were just never offered from my experience working in Canada.

So as usual, they both have their plusses and minuses.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:59 PM

18,337 posts, read 10,411,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I am going to assume that the China comparison is hyperbole.

From personal experience I must say that when the economy was bad I missed my old Canadian labour laws. Living and working in Florida when the economy crashed and seeing the shi*ty benefits offered under those conditions definitely made me appreciate what was offered in Toronto more.

On the flip side when the economy is good and you are in a vibrant large business centre, I would much rather be in the US. The competitiveness in the market allows you to negotiate perks that were just never offered from my experience working in Canada.

So as usual, they both have their plusses and minuses.
But shouldn't the litmus test be having them when you really need them?

Old 05-09-2015, 07:03 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,016,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
But shouldn't the litmus test be having them when you really need them?
Absolutely.

The issue is that sometimes it doesnt make sense to pass up a better opportunity during your prime earning years just because something "could go wrong". That cautious way of living doesnt suit everyone.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:14 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,455,068 times
labour*

Old 05-10-2015, 10:52 AM

18,337 posts, read 10,411,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Absolutely.

The issue is that sometimes it doesnt make sense to pass up a better opportunity during your prime earning years just because something "could go wrong". That cautious way of living doesnt suit everyone.
And no one would suggest it does make sense.

I thought we were talking about the disparities in labour laws, not opportunities.

Obviously the ideal would be to have opportunities along with labour protections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada