U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 682 times

Advertisements

So myself, my roommate/ best friend of 7 years, his sister and a friend of ours are moving to Alberta for three months. We are driving THROUGH THE STATES (We have already made up our minds up about this) I have a few questions regarding the trip as we are all a little bit new to this whole thing. Please be polite.

My friend is a Scotland citizen, who has lived in Canada for just under 6 years. She is a permanent resident living with her parents (She is only 19). What kind of documents (Other then the obvious ie. passport and proof of address) should she bring with her? Any documents you've been asked for but forgot to bring?

My roommate is the only one who has a job out there. He is working with his dad (which is also the person we are all staying with). I have proof in my email that I have been applying for jobs and telling friends and family on social media that I will be moving out there for the summer to work. Will I get much flack about this at the border? Any key things I should say to avoid being denied entry into the US or back in Canada? I will be going out there with about $700. My plan is if i don't find a job in a month- I am going to fly back as my roommate is driving his own car so I don't need to fly back.

We will only be bringing clothes, bedding and electronics with us as we are staying with my roommates dad (who has a fully furnished home). Should we make a full detailed list of everything we are bringing or is this not necessary? Anything you would recommend leaving at home that we wouldn't expect to be a problem?

Other then that big stuff. Any advice for a really long car ride? What are Interstates like compared to our 400 series highway? Any fun places to check out on the way?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 03:45 AM

34,475 posts, read 41,589,827 times
The usual entry into the USA on a trip like that is at Sault Ste Marie, they will probably pull you over at the border for an additional inspection,they will suspect you are going to live and work in the USA,bring any and all evidence that points to your intentions to remain in Canada,
if you do get denied entry you just carry on with your trip going through Canada rather than the USA, thats assuming after you get denied entry at the USA border you are allowed to re enter Canada however that shouldnt be a problem if you all have documentation attesting to your legal residence in Canada and as such the Canadian border cant refuse you entry into Canada and wont be interested in whether you have a job or not.
Whats the reason for doing a majority of the cross Canada trip in the USA?

Old 05-09-2015, 03:18 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,761,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The usual entry into the USA on a trip like that is at Sault Ste Marie....

Whats the reason for doing a majority of the cross Canada trip in the USA?
Well, the answer to the latter question is that it avoids the hassle of going through northern Ontario: two-lane blacktop, a lower speed limit, getting stuck behind a slow truck, slowing down for towns, and so on. The US route is shorter, and it is interstates all the way.

As to your first point--most southern Ontarians I've known who follow the American route tend to cross at either Windsor/Detroit or Sarnia/Port Huron. Crossing at Sault Ste. Marie makes sense if you're starting from Sudbury, but not if you're coming from the GTA.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:45 PM

34,475 posts, read 41,589,827 times
Northern Ontario is a longer route but it is much more scenic than the southern route .
I like crossing at SSM then taking rt 2 all the way to Browning Montana then taking rt89 to the border then back on Canada's Rt 2 all the way to Calgary.If op is in a hurry just fly, Most of the drive through North Dakota and Montana is 800 miles and looks like this=
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psf662c787.jpg

Last edited by jambo101; 05-09-2015 at 03:54 PM..

Old 05-11-2015, 11:38 AM

15,837 posts, read 10,063,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Well, the answer to the latter question is that it avoids the hassle of going through northern Ontario: two-lane blacktop, a lower speed limit, getting stuck behind a slow truck, slowing down for towns, and so on. The US route is shorter, and it is interstates all the way.
- also cheaper gas, and US interstates have more amenities.
Quote:
We are driving THROUGH THE STATES (We have already made up our minds up about this)
You should have no problems if you can be definite about your plans with the border agent - you are visiting Alberta for the summer and will be staying with your roommate's dad - and have his address and contact information. Take your passports and permanent residency cards. Your Scottish friend will likely have to get a visitor's visa at the border.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:10 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,189,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
- also cheaper gas, and US interstates have more amenities.

You should have no problems if you can be definite about your plans with the border agent - you are visiting Alberta for the summer and will be staying with your roommate's dad - and have his address and contact information. Take your passports and permanent residency cards. Your Scottish friend will likely have to get a visitor's visa at the border.
Just be prepared to be denied entry into the U.S., as Customs and Border Patrol have over-arching authority to arrest and deny entry to anyone, and they are not obliged to provide you with any sufficient reason for their actions. The border entry is one area where one's usual civil liberties can be temporarily curtailed, and this applies to both U.S. and foreign citizens.

If you are carrying a car load of personal items, just be mentally prepped to be pulled over into secondary inspections where the CBP has the rights to do a thorough search of all your personal items while your car is parked in the parking lot. They often invite you inside for a more thorough in-person interview to learn about your intentions. If they suspect any one bit about possible intention to remain indefinitely/work illegally in the United States, they will deny entry on the spot and ask you to make a U-Turn back to Canada, along with possible record on your profile that can cause future problems when entering the U.S. Just be well aware of the risks, as a half-hour interview with a CBP officer is staring/yelling at your face is not a pretty experience.

Bring all the documentation you have to prove that you are returning to Canada. Also keep in mind that CBP officers are not obliged to consider those evidence you provide - they have the right to deny entry solely based on their own personal and subjective assessments.

Also, your Scottish friend only needs his/her United Kingdom of GB passport to enter the United States. Absolutely no need to apply for "visitor visa" because the UK falls under the Visa Waiver program. You do, however, need to complete a form I-94W, issued by the the CBP at the port of entry, and a $6.00 fee, payable only in U.S. dollars.

Details about the Visa Waiver Program | Embassy of the United States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or