U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 12:06 PM

21,979 posts, read 27,449,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Another cynic might offer that Canadians outside of Quebec "pay way more attention to Quebec" than they would otherwise care to, were they given a choice in the matter. It isn't pretense in most cases, it's a pavlovian response from input received. Those of us that have spent considerable time within Quebec over many decades will attest to the fact we've heard way more about the ROC in less than flattering terms and in what could be argued is even more pretentious a manner. We won't get any consensus or accommodation there either though.

Quebec is allowed to state: "we know as much about the ROC as we care to and don't shive-a-git in any case". The ROC on the other hand is constantly given a dose of typical Quebec "uniqueness" (we're oppressed by those dastardly Anglais) at our very dinner tables regardless of our desire. Would that we could simply state "we don't give a rip, now shut your pie-holes" with the alacrity and acceptance Quebec demands and receives.

One needs to consider carefully, and to what extent, the aspect of any negative or pretense on the part of the ROC being of that normal response to a constantly whining family member regardless of what attention they're shown being never good enough.

Let the flamefest resume.
We hear that all the time from you guys but that hasn't been my experience after living 20-odd years in Quebec.

And it's not validated if you look at online forums either. Try really hard to find online forums where Quebecers discuss the rest of Canada at length in French.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
I'd rather not pretend that X is in tune with some entity Y that X knows little about.
Me too but Quebec gets crapped on all the time for not embracing the cross-Canada CanadiAn identity and for not paying attention to the rest of the country enough.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:02 AM

261 posts, read 203,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Me too but Quebec gets crapped on all the time for not embracing the cross-Canada CanadiAn identity and for not paying attention to the rest of the country enough.
Do English Canadians really honestly care about this, or if it's more of an excuse for expressing annoyance for "that whole Quebec thing"? As in, "it's not I who reject them, it's them who scoff at us and fart in our general direction." Somehow I don't imagine an English Canadian really getting angry about me not becoming all teary-eyed just looking at the Canadian flag, unless they think it useful to feel this way.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:43 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,764,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
Do English Canadians really honestly care about this, or if it's more of an excuse for expressing annoyance for "that whole Quebec thing"? As in, "it's not I who reject them, it's them who scoff at us and fart in our general direction." Somehow I don't imagine an English Canadian really getting angry about me not becoming all teary-eyed just looking at the Canadian flag, unless they think it useful to feel this way.
I don't imagine that any English-Canadian gets teary-eyed by looking at the Canadian flag.

It's Americans who revere, sanctify, and protect by law, their flag. The Canadian flag? Drop it on the floor and step on it. Theirs? It is holy ground, it is protected by law, schoolchildren pledge allegiance to it every school day. Americans react in horror when their flag falls on the floor; Canadians just laugh and pick theirs up.

You can fart in the Canadian flag's general direction every day, MC. Just make sure you've eaten enough beans.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I wasn't necessarily talking about the flag (though it might be an issue for some people) but it's definitely there.

Just consider that period starting tomorrow. It irks more than a few people that the main national holiday in Quebec is celebrated on June 24 and not July 1.

Also, think about how I get called out by jambo and a few others on here for not being gushing enough in my love for Canada. And I am not even a separatist! I say all the time how Canada is one of the best countries in the world, and yet it's still not enough.

Finally, Chevy you are a thoughtful, rational, open-minded and relaxed person with respect to these matters (and I suspect most others). Don't assume that all Canadians are the same.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Do English Canadians really honestly care about this, or if it's more of an excuse for expressing annoyance for "that whole Quebec thing"? As in, "it's not I who reject them, it's them who scoff at us and fart in our general direction." .
It's mostly the same thing IMO. It just manifests itself in a variety of ways.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:00 AM

34,497 posts, read 41,630,408 times
Speaking of the whole Quebec thing June 24 is Quebecs big day
St Jean Baptist Day, La Fete National.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Jean-Baptiste_Day

Happy holiday to the people of Quebec,

Old 06-23-2015, 08:44 AM

579 posts, read 470,699 times
Quote:
I wasn't necessarily talking about the flag (though it might be an issue for some people) but it's definitely there.

Just consider that period starting tomorrow. It irks more than a few people that the main national holiday in Quebec is celebrated on June 24 and not July 1.

Also, think about how I get called out by jambo and a few others on here for not being gushing enough in my love for Canada. And I am not even a separatist! I say all the time how Canada is one of the best countries in the world, and yet it's still not enough.

Finally, Chevy you are a thoughtful, rational, open-minded and relaxed person with respect to these matters (and I suspect most others). Don't assume that all Canadians are the same.
Quebec residential lease law (given royal assent in 1974, introduced by a federalist) has something to do with that... because it makes moving so concentrated around July 1, July 1 is dubbed National Moving Day as far as Quebec is concerned.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
Quebec residential lease law (given royal assent in 1974, introduced by a federalist) has something to do with that... because it makes moving so concentrated around July 1, July 1 is dubbed National Moving Day as far as Quebec is concerned.
A lot of people see the July 1 moving day as a separatist plot to undermine Canada Day, but in actual fact it's a practice that Quebec inherited/copied from Scotland I think.

And Canada Day as a huge deal (in much of the country anyway) is a fairly recent phenomenon.

It was a holiday and marked by ceremonies and all, but the big huge nationalist/patriotic parties started to appear under Trudeau as an attempt to counter or at least compete with the established St-Jean festivities in Quebec that had undergone a major resurgence (usually with a strong separatist oomph) during his time as PM.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:27 AM

18,363 posts, read 10,432,401 times
Quote:
We hear that all the time from you guys but that hasn't been my experience after living 20-odd years in Quebec.

And it's not validated if you look at online forums either. Try really hard to find online forums where Quebecers discuss the rest of Canada at length in French.
I think you missed my point. It ain't the ROC that is continually obsessing over their position in Canada. It's Quebec that keeps that pot on a continuous simmer. We can't go a ten year span without Quebec pointing at the ROC with an accusatory finger and claiming some sort of grievance or another.

Have you got any provincial premieres from the ROC standing in front of a microphone and suggesting Quebec ain't a real province?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or