Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 02:44 PM

493 posts, read 385,800 times

Advertisements

If I marry a Quebecois Canadian; do I receive "green card"/Permanent Residency in Canada so I could work/live in Quebec, Canada freely?

I was born in Europe (EU Citizen) and 10 years' ago became American citizen. My dream is to live in Canada permanently after marrying my spouse. Is it possible? I know after few years of living in Canada I can then apply to become Canadian Passport citizen.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:47 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Its a little more complex than just marrying a Canadian citizen,you still have to go through the immigration process where you could come up short on the qualifications whether married to a Canadian or not.
Do I become a Canadian citizen when I marry a Canadian?

Old 05-11-2015, 04:09 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
If I marry a Quebecois Canadian; do I receive "green card"/Permanent Residency in Canada so I could work/live in Quebec, Canada freely?

I was born in Europe (EU Citizen) and 10 years' ago became American citizen. My dream is to live in Canada permanently after marrying my spouse. Is it possible? I know after few years of living in Canada I can then apply to become Canadian Passport citizen.
Glad to see you've gotten over our traffic lights!

Old 05-12-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its a little more complex than just marrying a Canadian citizen,you still have to go through the immigration process where you could come up short on the qualifications whether married to a Canadian or not.
Do I become a Canadian citizen when I marry a Canadian?
That's for Citizenship; I'm entitled to Permanent Residency (Green Card) though for marrying a Canadian.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:55 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
That's for Citizenship; I'm entitled to Permanent Residency (Green Card) though for marrying a Canadian.
It can take over a year for your permanent residency to get approved:
Processing times for sponsorship of spouses, common-law or conjugal partners and dependent children applications

Old 05-12-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Well I can drive back and forth to Canada (Good thing is that Montreal is only less than 1 hr from the border)

I saw somewhere that in Quebec I can start working before receiving permanent residency card (new law)

I'm excited for national health care and the metric system

Old 05-12-2015, 04:14 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
your plan Sounds pretty illegal to me and for the Record no marrying a Canadian citizen does not make you a Canadian it makes you married to a Canadian.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:18 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Wrong. Marrying a Canadian doesn't "entitle" you to anything. You have to qualify for PR based on your own merits, not based on your marital status. If you aren't approved for PR based on your own merits then your new Canadian spouse's sponsorship wouldn't count for anything. Then your spouse might have to apply to join you in your own country.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:31 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Wrong. Marrying a Canadian doesn't "entitle" you to anything. You have to qualify for PR based on your own merits, not based on your marital status. If you aren't approved for PR based on your own merits then your new Canadian spouse's sponsorship wouldn't count for anything. Then your spouse might have to apply to join you in your own country.

I sponsored my partner and he now has his PR as a result of that sponsorship.. Being married or in a common law relationship with a Canadian citizen is just one piece of the pie.. There are so many other requirements... A lot of those requirements are actually on the side of the spouse who is sponsoring.. So you (the Canadian sponsoring) have to meet financial requirements and be willing to financially care for their spouse for 3 years after the PR has been granted.. That PR won't be even granted until the following takes place.

The relationship needs to be reviewed by Immigration Canada and deemed to be a genuine relationship (so the parties need to provide supportive evidence of that- lots of it - and be willing to be subjected to random visits from immigration officials at your home and also to be interviewed to the point that no personal question about the relationship is considered out of line).. The specific requirements of the spouse being sponsored is essentially that they won't pose a health or safety risk to society.. My partner had to go through medical testing and extensive background checks from his native country - police records etc.. In any event - it is a very detailed and thorough, time consuming process (which I support to ward off fraudulent claims just to get a PR) but it certainly isn't like applying for a Credit card... If people go this route the best advice I have is to actually be in a valid loving relationship and not just look to the process as a meal ticket to get into Canada and also be prepared for a long wait before getting PR - depending on country it can take up to 3 years or even more - Immigration Canada is bogged down these days.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-12-2015 at 08:41 PM..

Old 05-13-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I sponsored my partner and he now has his PR as a result of that sponsorship.. Being married or in a common law relationship with a Canadian citizen is just one piece of the pie.. There are so many other requirements... A lot of those requirements are actually on the side of the spouse who is sponsoring.. So you (the Canadian sponsoring) have to meet financial requirements and be willing to financially care for their spouse for 3 years after the PR has been granted.. That PR won't be even granted until the following takes place.

The relationship needs to be reviewed by Immigration Canada and deemed to be a genuine relationship (so the parties need to provide supportive evidence of that- lots of it - and be willing to be subjected to random visits from immigration officials at your home and also to be interviewed to the point that no personal question about the relationship is considered out of line).. The specific requirements of the spouse being sponsored is essentially that they won't pose a health or safety risk to society.. My partner had to go through medical testing and extensive background checks from his native country - police records etc.. In any event - it is a very detailed and thorough, time consuming process (which I support to ward off fraudulent claims just to get a PR) but it certainly isn't like applying for a Credit card... If people go this route the best advice I have is to actually be in a valid loving relationship and not just look to the process as a meal ticket to get into Canada and also be prepared for a long wait before getting PR - depending on country it can take up to 3 years or even more - Immigration Canada is bogged down these days.
I have 100% clean record in everything, young and college educated; Canada would love to have me as a citizen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada