Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 02:57 PM

579 posts, read 658,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Is it the same from coast-to-coast? Is it more regional than national?
I can say that it is most definitely NOT the same from coast-to-coast, and hence more regional than national. However I can't talk about specifics...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 08:50 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,141,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
b

But you did know the song didn't you? And you are not from OK?
I am not from Oklahoma (though I had an uncle who lived there), and yes I have heard the song. I was not trying to downplay the point. I just found it an ironic choice for an example.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:20 PM

26,759 posts, read 37,656,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I am not from Oklahoma (though I had an uncle who lived there), and yes I have heard the song. I was not trying to downplay the point. I just found it an ironic choice for an example.
Anyway, there is still much more cross-pollination between the regional cultures of the US than between those of Canada.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:44 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,141,933 times
Quote:
Anyway, there is still much more cross-pollination between the regional cultures of the US than between those of Canada.
Possibly. I think regional cultures in both countries need all the help they can get against the mainstream monoculture.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Possibly. I think regional cultures in both countries need all the help they can get against the mainstream monoculture.
Oh, on this agree I agree entirely. But that's kind of a different question.

My point is that people in Idaho are much more likely to know of zydeco and jambalaya than people in BC or even Ontario are likely to know the basic elements of Newfoundland culture.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:31 AM

15,109 posts, read 15,711,833 times
Quote:

My point is that people in Idaho are much more likely to know of zydeco and jambalaya than people in BC or even Ontario are likely to know the basic elements of Newfoundland culture.
Well put your theory to the test.. Post in the Canada forums (we don't have sub provincial categories in C/D) and ask aboot basic elements of Newfoundland culture and than go into the Idaho forums and ask about familiarity with Zydeco (I wasn't aware of that until you mentioned it and I google searched it) and Jambalaya..

You may even find that in both countries the knowledge/exposure of regional cultures/customs isn't as strong as you are assuming and that which we are all familiar with has links to big business and not genuine regional culture to any strong degree.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-18-2015 at 10:42 AM..

Old 05-18-2015, 11:00 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,786,414 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well put your theory to the test.. Post in the Canada forums (we don't have sub provincial categories in C/D) and ask aboot basic elements of Newfoundland culture and than go into the Idaho forums and ask about familiarity with Zydeco (I wasn't aware of that until you mentioned it and I google searched it) and Jambalaya..

You may even find that in both countries the knowledge/exposure of regional cultures/customs isn't as strong as you are assuming and that which we are all familiar with has links to big business and not genuine regional culture to any strong degree.

I think you're both right.

Fusion is correct when he says that the corporatization of regional cuisine, as an example, has made regional culture more familiar and accessible to people outside of those regions (including to Canadians) who wouldn't know it otherwise. Of course, popular culture, like movies, TV, etc, always does its part in "educating" the masses, as well.

But I agree with Acajack, too. Generally speaking, Americans ARE more familiar with regional/cultural differences in the US than Canadians are of regional/cultural differences in Canada, because, as I've said before, Americans are much better travelled in the US than Canadians are in Canada. With the exception of the Canadian tradition of travelling every weekend to the family cottage/cabin/chalet (which is a fabulous tradition), Canadians, as a rule, simply don't choose to travel in Canada the same way that Americans think nothing of travelling around the US, at any time of the year.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:

I don't know why this is so hard to believe for someone like yourself who has travelled a lot in the U.S.

I mean, if you and I as Canadians are at least aware of a type of food in the southern US called ''grits'' it's not hard to imagine that most people across the US also have such an awareness.

On the other hand, this is an extreme rare example but I have family members (one of which is my wife) and friends who've been travelling in Western Canada and also SW Ontario and had people overhear them speaking French (some also ask what we're speaking sometimes) and ask if they're from France, and when they are told ''Canada'', the questioner is flabbergasted. Somehow I doubt that a rancher in Idaho would run into a black person from Harlem and be dumbfounded that he's from the US and not Africa.

BTW this isn't a ''Canadians are dummies" thing for me. On average, I'd actually say Canadians are probably slightly more aware of the outside world than the average American. This is mostly a ''big country'' (population-wise) vs. ''small country'' thing.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:56 AM

15,109 posts, read 15,711,833 times
Quote:
I don't know why this is so hard to believe for someone like yourself who has travelled a lot in the U.S.

I mean, if you and I as Canadians are at least aware of a type of food in the southern US called ''grits'' it's not hard to imagine that most people across the US also have such an awareness.

On the other hand, this is an extreme rare example but I have family members (one of which is my wife) and friends who've been travelling in Western Canada and also SW Ontario and had people overhear them speaking French (some also ask what we're speaking sometimes) and ask if they're from France, and when they are told ''Canada'', the questioner is flabbergasted. Somehow I doubt that a rancher in Idaho would run into a black person from Harlem and be dumbfounded that he's from the US and not Africa.

BTW this isn't a ''Canadians are dummies" thing for me. On average, I'd actually say Canadians are probably slightly more aware of the outside world than the average American. This is mostly a ''big country'' (population-wise) vs. ''small country'' thing.
I'm not saying there there isn't awareness of other regions cultures/customs in various parts of the U.S - i'm just saying it may not be as strong as what you're assuming.. Personally, I think grits (I haven't tried that and have no inkling to) are probably more pan national in the U.S than Zydeco or Jumbalaya.

On a personal note - the reason I travel to the U.S more than the R.O.C save for Quebec is simply distance.. A 9 hour drive from Toronto can literally bring me into contact with a good 7 or 8 different states perhaps more and tens if not close to 100 million people.. A 9 hour drive north and west of me in Ontario gets me where lol Sault Saint Marie or Timmin.. What will interest an urbanite like me more Chicago or Timmins, Washington D.C, NYC or Boston vs Sault Saint Marie or Wawa... hmmmmm

In red - there are dumb people everywhere AJ and you admitted its an extreme rare example.. You'd probably find that dumb rancher in Idaho thinking a black person from Harlem is from Africa..

We're splitting hairs here really - all i'm saying is I'm not sure there is a strong exposure to every regions cultures/customs across the board as may be assumed. Is there a more pan national thing going on in the U.S over Canada - well yeah but its not rocking my world tbh.. I doubt someone in Oregon is going to get all orgasmic over Jumbalaya.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:20 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,304,186 times
Quote:
We're splitting hairs here really - all i'm saying is I'm not sure there is a strong exposure to every regions cultures/customs across the board as may be assumed. Is there a more pan national thing going on in the U.S over Canada - well yeah but its not rocking my world tbh.. I doubt someone in Oregon is going to get all orgasmic over Jumbalaya.
The people who are going to know much about Zydeco or what real Louisiana Creole or Cajun food are(two slightly different cuisines) in Oregon who aren't from the South are going to be foodies or deep roots music fans or people who are well-traveled(there's tons of zydeco at the yearly Blues Festival in Portland and there's a number of okay Louisiana Creole-style restaurants some ran by people from Louisiana)--a lot of people though would just assume Cajun/Zydeco/Creole/New Orleans is all the same thing and not really understand the distinctions. You'll find people with the exact same sort of appreciation of broader cultural tastes over the border in Vancouver, but it's a certain crowd. Likewise, I'd say the appreciation of the culture of Newfoundland or the Maritimes in Calgary or Vancouver is somewhat similar where you have some bars trying to capture the feel of a pub in the Atlantic provinces with Newfie and Irish or Scottish of Acadian influenced folk music with varying degrees of authenticity. And you'll have a crowd of both people who actually familiar with the region, but others who are either simply interested in the culture or not.

There's a lot of regional subcultures in the US and Canada though that most people have no real idea about unless they've been there though. People might have some ideas about broad stereotypes, but the true elements of the local culture aren't really that familiar unless one actually travels and seeks it out.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 05-18-2015 at 12:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada