U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 02:08 PM

261 posts, read 203,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You might be onto something there. I won't get into stylish vs. non-stylish, but there is a segment of the population in Quebec that dresses fairly differently from the North American mainstream.
Do you have an example of this? I don't really know what a mainstream North American look is, to start with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 02:25 PM

21,960 posts, read 27,390,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
Do you have an example of this? I don't really know what a mainstream North American look is, to start with.
This is always one of the hardest questions to answer. In the modern world, all styles of dresses are pretty much present everywhere to some degree. The main differences are found in the prevelance of particular styles in one area vs. another.

People in Quebec do dress somewhat differently, and it's not just a Montreal-Quebec City thing with people in the regions dressing exactly like other Canadians or Americans.

If I may generalize, people in Quebec wear flashier colours, are less hesitant to wear stuff that could be considered tacky (elsewhere in NA). There are also fewer "geeky" male dressers in Quebec, but more guys that could be called guido/Jersey Shore types (known in Quebec as Gino Camaros). Women tend to dress sexier and more revealing - at all ages. And (straight) Quebec men in general are less hesitant about affirming their feminine side in the way they dress.

An example:

https://quebecparis.files.wordpress....s-foulards.jpg

Old 05-20-2015, 02:43 PM

261 posts, read 203,363 times
Thank you. I can't say I've really noticed this, but I'm not very observant about clothes in general.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:54 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,545,845 times
^^There are also regional differences even in English Canada as well as differences between how people would dress in rural areas versus urban areas. The clothes our German guest was wearing for example, wouldn't have been out of place on a younger person (twenties) here, but they stood out here as he was a man in his forties.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:17 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,452,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
One way I can see this happening is if the person speaking French was dressed differently than the local norm, particularly in a very stylish way. Last summer one of our visitors came from Germany and in his tight European pants he would never be mistaken for a local in spite of the fact that German is a very common language here and raises no eyebrows. There isn't an assumption here that if you hear German you must be from Germany.
I don't know. SW Ontario is hardly the sticks.

One of the first things I noticed when I first started making trips to Europe was that the idea that Europeans are way more stylish or well-dressed is really not that true. I mean, maybe more conscious to a degree, but not everyone is dressed to the 9s or in some vastly different style or level that would send off alarms to Canadians. Let alone people around the GTA. I wouldn't say inner city Toronto or Montreal are any less fashiony than any big or small European city I've visited. Maybe Madrid, but still.

Interesting you mention a German, because I think they're supposed to be the fashion runts of Europe. I've spent months in Berlin, apparent nightlife capital of Europe, and I would say overall people look exceedingly unremarkable there.

You mentioned tighter pants, and I think that's maybe more of a generational thing. I haven't noticed many people over thirty wearing anything slimmer than a straight or slim fit anywhere, but I think that's even pretty standard up here in Sudbury. I've noticed that people from Middle East have the highest tendency to wear tighter clothing, actually.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I don't know. SW Ontario is hardly the sticks.

One of the first things I noticed when I first started making trips to Europe was that the idea that Europeans are way more stylish or well-dressed is really not that true. I mean, maybe more conscious to a degree, but not everyone is dressed to the 9s or in some vastly different style or level that would send off alarms to Canadians. Let alone people around the GTA. I wouldn't say inner city Toronto or Montreal are any less fashiony than any big or small European city I've visited. Maybe Madrid, but still.

Interesting you mention a German, because I think they're supposed to be the fashion runts of Europe. I've spent months in Berlin, apparent nightlife capital of Europe, and I would say overall people look exceedingly unremarkable there.

You mentioned tighter pants, and I think that's maybe more of a generational thing. I haven't noticed many people over thirty wearing anything slimmer than a straight or slim fit anywhere, but I think that's even pretty standard up here in Sudbury. I've noticed that people from Middle East have the highest tendency to wear tighter clothing, actually.
I agree that what you say would apply to large cities in Canada - I don't know that there is such a big difference any more. You would even find that in Winnipeg, but a man with styled longish hair and slim pants (I'm not necessarily up to date on what all the different versions of pants are called, but it was skinny ones all the way down to the ankle) and you just wouldn't see that here in rural Manitoba on a man of his age. I think that different areas have different norms and I have no idea how Acajack might have been dressed, but there can be pockets of people anywhere where something that deviates from the norm would stand out.

Of course there are also idiots everywhere and it could have nothing to do with clothes. But in my opinion it would be very very unusual for a Canadian to assume that someone speaking French was from France and the comment just reminded me of my thoughts when we had our German visitor: the first thing I thought was that he stood out like a sore thumb - a very attractive one, but still he didn't blend in. Maybe I notice that more because I always like to blend in.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:41 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,156,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
^^There are also regional differences even in English Canada as well as differences between how people would dress in rural areas versus urban areas. The clothes our German guest was wearing for example, wouldn't have been out of place on a younger person (twenties) here, but they stood out here as he was a man in his forties.
Take a look at my pics in the Toronto section of C/D or just walk around Old Toronto on any given day... Umm yeah..

Old 05-21-2015, 07:38 AM

21,960 posts, read 27,390,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post

One of the first things I noticed when I first started making trips to Europe was that the idea that Europeans are way more stylish or well-dressed is really not that true. I mean, maybe more conscious to a degree, but not everyone is dressed to the 9s or in some vastly different style or level that would send off alarms to Canadians. .
Yeah, I noticed this too when I started travelling. I was actually semi-shocked the first time I went to Paris and saw locals wearing track pants and sneakers.

All fashion styles are pretty much seen anywhere these days, and beyond that it becomes a question of )(perceived) prevalence.

"People are better/well dressed in City X" doesn't mean that 100% of people there are well-dressed.

In most parts of the world probably the middling mainstream looks basically the same (or at least dress with the same level of attention to fashion sense). It's the remaining 20% that stands out and makes us think "people in City X are stylish" or "people in City Y are slobs".

Old 05-21-2015, 07:49 AM

9,552 posts, read 9,431,995 times
Quote:
If I may generalize, people in Quebec wear flashier colours, are less hesitant to wear stuff that could be considered tacky (elsewhere in NA). There are also fewer "geeky" male dressers in Quebec, but more guys that could be called guido/Jersey Shore types (known in Quebec as Gino Camaros). Women tend to dress sexier and more revealing - at all ages. And (straight) Quebec men in general are less hesitant about affirming their feminine side in the way they dress.

An example:

https://quebecparis.files.wordpress....s-foulards.jpg
I think upscale New York men dress the same way.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed this too when I started travelling. I was actually semi-shocked the first time I went to Paris and saw locals wearing track pants and sneakers.

All fashion styles are pretty much seen anywhere these days, and beyond that it becomes a question of )(perceived) prevalence.

"People are better/well dressed in City X" doesn't mean that 100% of people there are well-dressed.

In most parts of the world probably the middling mainstream looks basically the same (or at least dress with the same level of attention to fashion sense). It's the remaining 20% that stands out and makes us think "people in City X are stylish" or "people in City Y are slobs".
Yeah, that 20% sounds about right. I ran some errands last night and looked around more closely than usual to see what people were wearing, and I thought nope, there's no way 'my' German would not have stood out even for people who wouldn't normally notice fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or