U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:57 AM

21,962 posts, read 27,422,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Yeah, that 20% sounds about right. I ran some errands last night and looked around more closely than usual to see what people were wearing, and I thought nope, there's no way 'my' German would not have stood out even for people who wouldn't normally notice fashion.
"Your" German... cute!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 05:59 PM

16,015 posts, read 6,308,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
So you're saying that someone(s), despite being able to recognize the language was FRENCH, was flabbergasted that they weren't from France, as in, had NO idea that there is a large French-speaking population in not only their same country, but their neighbouring province?

That's a tall order.
Or it could have been a bigoted, pejorative statement. I once spoke with an English-speaking Canadian who used to say, when confronted by someone speaking French, "Canada, English."

Old 05-22-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Or it could have been a bigoted, pejorative statement. I once spoke with an English-speaking Canadian who used to say, when confronted by someone speaking French, "Canada, English."
Yes, of course. The infamous "Speak Canadian". And even more infamous: "Speak White"...

Old 05-22-2015, 07:20 AM

5,746 posts, read 3,219,750 times
Quote:
Yeah, that 20% sounds about right. I ran some errands last night and looked around more closely than usual to see what people were wearing, and I thought nope, there's no way 'my' German would not have stood out even for people who wouldn't normally notice fashion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
"Your" German... cute!
Yes, indeed. I think our modest, conservative netwit has got herself a little crush.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Yes, indeed. I think our modest, conservative netwit has got herself a little crush.
Somehow I get the impression our friend netwit isn't as conservative as some believe...

Old 05-22-2015, 09:45 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,552,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
You're absolutely right! I appreciate a good-looking guy in jeans but I realised when I saw him that it had been far, far too long since I'd seen a good-looking stylish man not in jeans.

Quote:
Somehow I get the impression our friend netwit isn't as conservative as some believe...
Now let's talk about our stylish Acajack!

Old 05-22-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The difference is that in your above example, it doesn't sound like the English-speaking Canadian mistook the French-speaker for someone from France.

Quote:
Yes, of course. The infamous "Speak Canadian". And even more infamous: "Speak White"...
About 35 years ago, there was an issue in this area where a clerk had told a customer who spoke to her in French: "We don't speak that crap here." If I remember right, the stink about that was raised not by the Francophone, but by the Anglophone who overheard it.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:

Now let's talk about our stylish Acajack!
I get the feeling someone isn't entirely comfortable with herself being the topic of discussion!

Old 05-22-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
The difference is that in your above example, it doesn't sound like the English-speaking Canadian mistook the French-speaker for someone from France.

About 35 years ago, there was an issue in this area where a clerk had told a customer who spoke to her in French: "We don't speak that crap here." If I remember right, the stink about that was raised not by the Francophone, but by the Anglophone who overheard it.
"Speak White" is kind of part of the historical reference compendium in Quebec, mostly because of a fairly famous poem.

Speak White - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-22-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
"Speak White" is kind of part of the historical reference compendium in Quebec, mostly because of a fairly famous poem.

Speak White - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, that attitude isn't exactly unknown among allophones either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or