U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 11:20 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,436,210 times

Advertisements

Number of people with French as their first language.
NL - 2,030
NS - 32,940
PEI - 5,180
NB - 236,100
ONT - 578,040
MB - 44,110
SK - 15,225
AB - 66,995
BC - 77,410
NT - 1,060
YK - 1,245
NU - 465
FCFA - Profils des communautés francophones et acadiennes du Canada - Overview

I was a bit surprised by some of these numbers. I didn't realize there were so many Francophone people in Alberta and B.C. I wonder if most of these people moved out there from Quebec and other places? Also I have to say Nova Scotia surprised me a bit. I have been to a few Acadian villages, but they were very small communities. In Halifax I met many people with French last names but very few that could actually speak French. I would have thought there were more here in MB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 11:50 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,488,284 times
In my experience, the Francophones of BC are a very diverse bunch. Of course Canadian Francophones are the largest contingent, but the number of European Francophones, and people from the Francophonie more comfortable using French than English, was much higher than I had expected prior to relocating to the province.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:18 AM

21,939 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Number of people with French as their first language.
NL - 2,030
NS - 32,940
PEI - 5,180
NB - 236,100
ONT - 578,040
MB - 44,110
SK - 15,225
AB - 66,995
BC - 77,410
NT - 1,060
YK - 1,245
NU - 465
FCFA - Profils des communautés francophones et acadiennes du Canada - Overview

I was a bit surprised by some of these numbers. I didn't realize there were so many Francophone people in Alberta and B.C. I wonder if most of these people moved out there from Quebec and other places? Also I have to say Nova Scotia surprised me a bit. I have been to a few Acadian villages, but they were very small communities. In Halifax I met many people with French last names but very few that could actually speak French. I would have thought there were more here in MB.
All of the provinces of Canada from NL to BC have a ''base'' francophone population that's been established in them for 100 years or more.

In most of them except for NB (and to a lesser degree ON) they have been greatly decimated over the generations by assimilation.

In most anglo provinces the francophone population is a mix of these established people and newcomers from elsewhere in Canada (especially Quebec of course but also people from NB especially in the AB oil patch).

ON and the Maritime provinces have very high proportions of their francophones born in their own province.

I'd say BC, AB and SK have the highest percentage of QC, NB and foreign-born francophones.

As for NS, an interesting thing is that around 1900 it had about as many francophones as NB. About 50,000 in each province. Look at each province today. NB's francophone population has boomed whereas in NS it's been decimated.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:29 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,436,210 times
Quote:
In most of them except for NB (and to a lesser degree ON) they have been greatly decimated over the generations by assimilation

Yeah, there is a lot of people of French ancestry, but the majority don't speak French. Its too bad, official bilingualism came a little late, If it had come earlier there might have been more of an attempt to keep French more alive.

Its interesting though, because French still has survived outside of Quebec, and these numbers show us that French is not as irrelevant as some people claim. A week or so ago one poster wrote on here that other languages were more important than French outside of Quebec because of the number of immigrants in certain places. That might be true for specific places, but as a whole French speakers still vastly outnumber any one single immigrant group outside of Quebec.

One thing i'm not clear on though, would all French speakers in NS be of Acadian background, or were there a good number of other French settlers there as well?

Old 05-13-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:

One thing i'm not clear on though, would all French speakers in NS be of Acadian background, or were there a good number of other French settlers there as well?
The vast, vast majority of francophones in Nova Scotia would be descendants of Acadian settlers from the 1600s and 1700s. There would be a sprinkling of Québécois there too and also some francophones from other parts of Canada (NB, PEI) and the international Francophonie as well. But not very many.

The community is very predominantly Acadian in origin.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:

Its interesting though, because French still has survived outside of Quebec, and these numbers show us that French is not as irrelevant as some people claim. A week or so ago one poster wrote on here that other languages were more important than French outside of Quebec because of the number of immigrants in certain places. That might be true for specific places, but as a whole French speakers still vastly outnumber any one single immigrant group outside of Quebec.
Indeed they do. It's more a politically-motivated argument than anything that is based in reality.

"Chinese languages" taken as a whole are close to the number of francophones outside Quebec, but that group is split up between Mandarin, Cantonese, etc. speakers.

No single language that you could use to provide services to the population allows you to reach more Canadians outside Quebec than French does. It's not really close even.

And of course the annoying reference to immigrant languages also ignores other factors that further strengthen the presence of French like the institutional network for it that exists across Canada in education, media, health care (in some cases) and the cultural sector. None of which exists to any comparable degree for any other language than French.

And of course the fact that close to one quarter of Canadians are francophones and the second largest province in population and the second largest city in the country are predominantly francophone, and that these people do travel throughout the country.

And of course there is intergenerational continuity. Although French outside Quebec does struggle with assimilation, it still has far better continuity through the generations than any immigrant language does.

French is a Canadian language, as opposed to being simply a language that happens to be spoken in Canada.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:48 AM

9,523 posts, read 9,407,481 times
Would it be the farther west you go, the greater the assimilation of French Canadians? In other words, how many French Canadians from Sask. on west even know the language, much less speak it as their first language?

Old 05-13-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Would it be the farther west you go, the greater the assimilation of French Canadians?
A broad rule is the further you get from Quebec, the higher the assimilation rate is. There are a few exceptions though but that's pretty much it.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Would it be the farther west you go, the greater the assimilation of French Canadians?
It's hard to tell for sure. French Canadians are generally not like Franco-Americans or Italian-Americans who can identify with the ethnic group even in the absence of the language.

A Canadian of French origin who doesn't speak French won't normally self-identify as "French Canadian" and even less as "francophone".

They'll most likely identify as "Canadian" and that's it.

In places like SK, MB and AB you can probably double or triple the numbers (for francophones) cited in this thread and you'd end up somewhere around the total population there that is of French Canadian origin.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:42 PM

9,523 posts, read 9,407,481 times
I wonder if Chris Benoit was a Francophone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada