U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2015, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,952 posts, read 27,371,773 times
Reputation: 8612

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I recently saw a Montreal-based filmed called "Heartbeats" (Les Amours imaginaires, 2010), directed by rising-star French-Canadian actor/director Xavier Dolan. Really impressive music, plot, and scenery showing the streets and neighborhoods of Montreal. For anyone interested in cultural interactions of modern day Montreal, especially the youth culture, it's a really great film.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAGZz7Jgr8I
Xavier Dolan is quite the wunderkind. He's a bit of a media darling at Cannes right now.

I did not like his J'ai tué ma mère (I Killed My Mother) which was widely acclaimed. But I did like Tom à la ferme.

I have not yet seen Mommy, which won the Prix du Jury at Cannes last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2015, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,699 posts, read 8,496,721 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Xavier Dolan is quite the wunderkind. He's a bit of a media darling at Cannes right now.

I did not like his J'ai tué ma mère (I Killed My Mother) which was widely acclaimed. But I did like Tom à la ferme.

I have not yet seen Mommy, which won the Prix du Jury at Cannes last year.
I was wondering why you hadn't mentioned Mommy! I have yet to see it too, but will actively try to. Not 100% just a French Canadian period film, but 'Ce qu'il faut pour vivre' was pretty good, it's about an Inuit man who comes to Quebec City for medical treatment in the 50's and is about the intersection of the two cultures and their relationships to each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ-x7D47Oao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,549 posts, read 9,423,459 times
Reputation: 6717
Do any of the films mentioned have graphic sex, violence, or language? Those are no-nos for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,694 posts, read 8,765,998 times
Reputation: 7313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Do any of the films mentioned have graphic sex, violence, or language? Those are no-nos for me.
So no biblical stories for you !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 02:51 PM
 
2,564 posts, read 2,182,481 times
Reputation: 1816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Do any of the films mentioned have graphic sex, violence, or language? Those are no-nos for me.
Yeppie, and lots of it. No violence, but yes to others. Chillax, it's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
5,746 posts, read 3,210,620 times
Reputation: 7205
Well, I'm sure Acajack and others will laugh at my recommendation, because I haven't seen many French Canadian movies, but I'm gonna go with Bonjeur d'Occasion (Secondhand Happiness), though it's over 30 years old.

It's based on the novel of the same title, (or The Tin Flute in the English translated version) written by Gabrielle Roy. I first read the book when I was in high school in Montréal, and it's one of my favorite novels of all time. A few years later, I happened upon the movie on CBC one day. It's not a big budget film by any means (keep that in mind), but it's a good adaptation of the book, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Though the movie closely follows the novel, I'd recommend reading the book first, because, as is usually the case, the novel fleshes out the story and characters in a way a movie cannot.

If you can't get your hands on a copy of the book, Mouldy, check out Thriftbooks.com (free shipping throughout the US). That's where I got my current copy, because my first copy became so dog-eared. If you can't get one there, I'll be happy to lend you my copy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,694 posts, read 8,765,998 times
Reputation: 7313
This was pretty good.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAZEwKn7qXo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 04:54 PM
 
2,291 posts, read 3,936,908 times
Reputation: 2056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Do any of the films mentioned have graphic sex, violence, or language? Those are no-nos for me.
I had only read your thread title and came here to suggest Denys Arcand's The Decline of the American Empire, but given those restrictions you should pass. Violence is not especially common (and very rarely graphic à la Tarantino) in Quebec movies but graphic sex and badass language are in there whenever they make sense in terms of storytelling.

I second Acajack's suggestion of Denis Villeneuve's Incendies. I also loved Anaïs Barbeau-Lavalette's Inch'Allah (despite the average IMDB rating). Philippe Falardeau's Monsieur Lazhar is very good and set in Montreal (and yet again has a Middle Eastern/Maghreb theme) -- Falardeau is the guy who did The Good Lie last year. More obscure: Mémoires affectives by Francis Leclerc (son of Félix Leclerc, the well-known poet/singer).

Pass if you want to avoid violent stuff, but another moving/disturbing one is Polytechnique, made by Villeneuve and about the 1989 shooting.

I realize you asked for historical dramas but those either get political and violent, or turn into period pieces that are not my cup of tea at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2015, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,952 posts, read 27,371,773 times
Reputation: 8612
This is an excellent suggestion. It was on my short list but I forgot.

Another good one is Maria Chapdelaine. A novel and a movie.

Kind of the rural équivalent to Bonheur d'occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Well, I'm sure Acajack and others will laugh at my recommendation, because I haven't seen many French Canadian movies, but I'm gonna go with Bonjeur d'Occasion (Secondhand Happiness), though it's over 30 years old.

It's based on the novel of the same title, (or The Tin Flute in the English translated version) written by Gabrielle Roy. I first read the book when I was in high school in Montréal, and it's one of my favorite novels of all time. A few years later, I happened upon the movie on CBC one day. It's not a big budget film by any means (keep that in mind), but it's a good adaptation of the book, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Though the movie closely follows the novel, I'd recommend reading the book first, because, as is usually the case, the novel fleshes out the story and characters in a way a movie cannot.

If you can't get your hands on a copy of the book, Mouldy, check out Thriftbooks.com (free shipping throughout the US). That's where I got my current copy, because my first copy became so dog-eared. If you can't get one there, I'll be happy to lend you my copy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2015, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,952 posts, read 27,371,773 times
Reputation: 8612
I saw an interview with the director this touching film recently and it's worth mentioned. It's about the coming-of-age of a young woman with Williams syndrome. The actress in the lead role actually has Williams syndrome.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1_FkjD9I58

It won a bunch of prizes and was in the running for the Best Foreign Film Oscar, but did not make the final cut.

Here are the key people in the film in the main square at Locarno CH during the film festival there:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd0Qxkn6E04
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top