Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Canada a land of mediocrity?
Yes 23 60.53%
No 15 39.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 01:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,136,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
Yup. And I've only been on this forum for a few months and I'm already far beyond bored..
I'm surprised the obvious solution to that dilemma is eluding you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 08:42 AM

3,928 posts, read 3,264,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Notice that this is a thread started by an OP who says he has no ill will or dislike for Vancouver or Canada..and yet...every opportunity he gets he slams us.

It is REALLY getting boring.

Nat always never fail to fail to properly read...tell me where I said that I dislike Vancouver or Canada...I'm all ears....

Old 05-15-2015, 08:43 AM

3,928 posts, read 3,264,412 times
Quote:
Yup. And I've only been on this forum for a few months and I'm already far beyond bored..
Nobody forces you to stick around or to comment....

Old 05-15-2015, 11:39 AM

18,503 posts, read 15,440,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Nat always never fail to fail to properly read...tell me where I said that I dislike Vancouver or Canada...I'm all ears....
You are passive aggressive about Vancouver. On one hand you say you like Vancouver etc. Then you post threads, like this. Your history is long.

Everyone sees your game, and it's getting boring. That's all. Many of the regular posters here have told you as much, with some even requesting that you seek help.

I don't think you need help, but I do think there is something going on in your head, and from past posts I'm guessing that it's because you don't like Seattle as well. Sour grapes syndrome perhaps. Places that don't work out for you must be horrible for everyone.

You left Canada, find an article that might support your decision of it being mediocre...so post it and feel better??

Last edited by Natnasci; 05-15-2015 at 11:52 AM..

Old 05-15-2015, 03:07 PM

678 posts, read 873,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Nobody forces you to stick around or to comment....
Could say the same for you

Old 05-15-2015, 04:48 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,781,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
In a way I agree with some of that, but I don't have a problem with it and more importantly I don't believe it holds Canada back. On the contrary, I think Canada's unwillingness to accept failure and only support non-risky pursuits is something that makes Canada a sure thing. It's safe, reliable, dependable, progressive, successful. I don't think Canada feels like there's pressure on it to be in the lime light and it's not in some kind of competition to be superman. I don't believe that Canada is a failure, so why should I care if other people don't approve of Canada being a dependable plodder refusing to accept risks and failures as it progresses? Big risk takers fall down and crash a lot harder when they fail and they usually take a lot of innocent collateral damage down with them. I'm comfortable with complacency and even more comfortable with the fact that Canada is already excellent and successful enough it doesn't feel like it has to take big risks to appease or to prove anything to anyone else.

I must say Zoisite - I really think you captured a lot in this post!! It resonates very strongly with me

Old 05-15-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I must say Zoisite - I really think you captured a lot in this post!! It resonates very strongly with me
Yeah, I think people around the world don't really expect Canada to be number 1 in everything. It's a middle power country that feels no need to be the shining star. It's good the way it is.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I think people around the world don't really expect Canada to be number 1 in everything. It's a middle power country that feels no need to be the shining star. It's good the way it is.
Don't forget as well that Canada has a relatively small population

If you take a look at a list of nations from highest to lowest GDP - not one nation that has a higher GDP than Canada has a lower population.. I think that speaks to something!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_GDP_(nominal)

Old 05-15-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Don't forget as well that Canada has a relatively small population

If you take a look at a list of nations from highest to lowest GDP - not one nation that has a higher GDP than Canada has a lower population.. I think that speaks to something!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_GDP_(nominal)
YEAH Good point.... How are we even supposed to compare Canada with the USA when Canada has 1/10 of the population... It's not fair. It's a complete apples to oranges comparison at the end of the day, so comparing their economies, etc. is like pointless.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
YEAH Good point.... How are we even supposed to compare Canada with the USA when Canada has 1/10 of the population... It's not fair. It's a complete apples to oranges comparison at the end of the day, so comparing their economies, etc. is like pointless.
France is a good case in point - it has 66 million people almost double the population of Canada yet its GDP is 2.85 Trillion - Canada has a GDP of 1.8 Trillion... Double the population of Canada from 35 million to 70 million and its GDP would be 3.6 Trillion assuming those extra 35 million would be as prosperous as the 35 we have now (not necessarily a stretch)... The UK has a population of 64 million and its GDP is 3 Trillion.. .. 9 times our population (similar in size to the U.S) and the GDP would potentially be 16.2 trillion dollars... Canada is doing fine for its population.. Dare I posit to say - better than mediocre lol

If you want mediocre - go pick on Poland - 38 million people - GDP - 1 trillion.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada