Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Canada a land of mediocrity?
Yes 23 60.53%
No 15 39.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:49 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
You're painfully delusional if you think America is some land of big dreams in which anybody can obtain. If you haven't seen a homeless person in America than you are either blind or retarded and looking at America through rosy glasses.
Well, you're right, of course, and I've argued that with the libertarian sheep over in the economics threads a number of times. But when it comes to looking through rosy colored glasses, I'm afraid you're somewhat guilty, yourself. You're one of those adorable (fellow) liberals I occasionally come across who idealize everything about Canada without knowing much about it. Kinda like the way we North Americans categorically gush over Sweden's generous social benefits or France's cultural supremacy.

It doesn't take a genius to see that Canada's a great country and one of the best places in the world to be. Like, no duh. But, though I'm proud to call it the land of my birth and rearing, it's got its problems, too. What, you haven't seen any homeless people in, say, Toronto? They ARE there, you know. But to what extent those populations are considered a socioeconomic "problem" is relative, as these things usually are: my former in-laws in Manitoba always LOVE to click their tongues in disdain at what they regard as "Ontario's horrible social problems," which include "all the homeless people everywhere."

I never know what the heck they're talking about, mind you, because their province's capital city definitely has its share of problems (seen 'em firsthand), and I routinely saw drunks, in the middle of the day, walking THE street of their insular, hick, racist "town," located in the middle of freaking nowhere near the Saskatchewan border (which shall remain nameless to protect the innocent). Absolutely gawdawful place.

Regardless, if I were ever going to be homeless, I'd much rather do it in San Diego or Atlanta than Toronto or Winnipeg (or Edmonton, Regina, or Montreal, for that matter).

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 05-28-2015 at 10:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 10:23 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
So I don't have a job now? So I do not have a wife and kids and self sufficient? So you are making stuff up about me so you can prop yourself on a pedastal? I have a job. I have a home with my wife. I have opportunities. I am well liked in the real world and don't need your approval. You seem to think i want people's validation. I don't i came to share my opinion. Just because you are stubborn and believe your self wOrth is a lot more than it is. Doesn't make you anything more than you are. a nobody. Just like the rest of us posting on here.
Well there ya go. Now you're claiming you don't want validation when every single one of your posts has been suggesting the alternative.

Now you have opportunities when your previous posts have all claimed otherwise.

I'm glad you're well liked in the real world. Your over quick resorting to insult would not have suggested that. The personal name calling and gay accusations must be something you confine to the internet then?

I have never compared my self worth to anyone's; that's a fool's errand.

I do indeed think I'm somebody but contrary to your surmising, I also think of you as somebody.

Your opinion is just as valid as anyone's and also, just as open to challenge by anyone.

You have not accepted challenge to your opinion without resorting to the temper.

Let's simply agree that in the nature of the threads topic being Canada a country of mediocrity we will disagree to the extent opportunities do exist but not in the quantity they would in a country with 350 million people and the economy that goes with it.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:49 AM

800 posts, read 729,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well there ya go. Now you're claiming you don't want validation when every single one of your posts has been suggesting the alternative.

Now you have opportunities when your previous posts have all claimed otherwise.

I'm glad you're well liked in the real world. Your over quick resorting to insult would not have suggested that. The personal name calling and gay accusations must be something you confine to the internet then?

I have never compared my self worth to anyone's; that's a fool's errand.

I do indeed think I'm somebody but contrary to your surmising, I also think of you as somebody.

Your opinion is just as valid as anyone's and also, just as open to challenge by anyone.

You have not accepted challenge to your opinion without resorting to the temper.

Let's simply agree that in the nature of the threads topic being Canada a country of mediocrity we will disagree to the extent opportunities do exist but not in the quantity they would in a country with 350 million people and the economy that goes with it.
Ok. I can agree with that.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:54 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
As an American, I prefer to think of Canada as safe, polite, and stable (unlike SOME countries we could name). If that equals boring to you, reply to the poll in the affirmative. I am not of that opinion; I did not.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:30 PM

678 posts, read 875,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Well, you're right, of course, and I've argued that with the libertarian sheep over in the economics threads a number of times. But when it comes to looking through rosy colored glasses, I'm afraid you're somewhat guilty, yourself. You're one of those adorable (fellow) liberals I occasionally come across who idealize everything about Canada without knowing much about it. Kinda like the way we North Americans categorically gush over Sweden's generous social benefits or France's cultural supremacy.

It doesn't take a genius to see that Canada's a great country and one of the best places in the world to be. Like, no duh. But, though I'm proud to call it the land of my birth and rearing, it's got its problems, too. What, you haven't seen any homeless people in, say, Toronto? They ARE there, you know. But to what extent those populations are considered a socioeconomic "problem" is relative, as these things usually are: my former in-laws in Manitoba always LOVE to click their tongues in disdain at what they regard as "Ontario's horrible social problems," which include "all the homeless people everywhere."

I never know what the heck they're talking about, mind you, because their province's capital city definitely has its share of problems (seen 'em firsthand), and I routinely saw drunks, in the middle of the day, walking THE street of their insular, hick, racist "town," located in the middle of freaking nowhere near the Saskatchewan border (which shall remain nameless to protect the innocent). Absolutely gawdawful place.

Regardless, if I were ever going to be homeless, I'd much rather do it in San Diego or Atlanta than Toronto or Winnipeg (or Edmonton, Regina, or Montreal, for that matter).
You're kinda right, yes, I used to do the same with Canada as looking at it so idealized. But I stopped, because last time I complimented the country I got called a pothead. So...
And I also know more about it, as well as other places of the world, than most people my age.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:36 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
As an American, I prefer to think of Canada as safe, polite, and stable (unlike SOME countries we could name). If that equals boring to you, reply to the poll in the affirmative. I am not of that opinion; I did not.
most countries are safe, polite (to some extent) and stable.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:07 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
most countries are safe, polite (to some extent) and stable.
It's relative and place-specific. On the whole, I think you would be hard-pressed to find a safer country, overall, than Canada. Well, except after a hockey game.

I spent most of my working life traveling around the world. I would rank these places as the safest:

Japan
Switzerland
Norway
Canada
Oman

And these as the least safe:

Mexico
Argentina
Rumania
Russia
Egypt

Old 05-28-2015, 04:08 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post

Are you gay? I seem to get into it a lot with gay guys on here.

Well you know - one thing leads to another....

Old 05-28-2015, 04:47 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
You're kinda right, yes, I used to do the same with Canada as looking at it so idealized. But I stopped, because last time I complimented the country I got called a pothead. So...
And I also know more about it, as well as other places of the world, than most people my age.
I compliment you for wanting to learn more about the country and about its people.. By all means come up and visit anytime you like..

Old 07-09-2016, 05:49 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I came across this rather rather harsh article (old, from 2007 and no longer hosted directly by the newspaper servers) about a report from the Conference Board of Canada.

It is still hosted on other servers, here is a copy.

Canada a land of mediocrity Conference Board Report
In the U.S. our election choices are between a fraud and a fraud. In Canada your choice was between quiet excellence and showmanship. If Canada is a land of mediocrity (somethint I don't agree with personally) your election choice showed why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada