Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Canada a land of mediocrity?
Yes 23 60.53%
No 15 39.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 06:37 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I voted no. Mediocrity in my opinion would include culture, for one thing, and I like Canadian music better than American music per capita. I really like the singer Lights from Toronto.
I'm an American who finds nothing mediocre about Canada. Start with music. Gordon Lightfoot (query is that "Lights") is my favorite musician. Has been since at least 1976, since I bought "Gord's Gold." Blue Rodeo, Neil Young and Great Big Sea are on that list as well.

Their military history of fighting with the other free countries is enviable. Think Vimy Ridge and Juno Beach. I'm an American who's proud of Canada. Oops, do I sound too much like Gordon Sinclair's "The Americans"? (link to lyrics and video below). Well I'm sorry if I do but those are my beliefs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ_okAgAUGE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 09:26 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
^^^

Thanks for that jbgusa

Old 05-18-2015, 03:52 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Default Expansion of my views on Canada

Link to expansion and separate thread on my love of our neighbor to the north (even if they misspell is "neighbour").

Old 05-20-2015, 02:27 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Canada is the perfect place to be if you want a nice, relaxed, comfy but mediocre life with nothing to achieve.

Generally speaking. But most nations in the world are like that, many without the nice and comfy part.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:24 AM

I think the question is what what is being measured.. Is the definition of greatness a nation with a lot of history and culture, expanding military and economic power but with a MASSIVE population where the majority are very poor. Is this a 'great country'

I think the goalposts need to be set really on what is being measured as 'greatness' - certainly in terms of individual wealth and QOL for citizens Canada is objectively more 'great' than most countries.. Same thing with resource wealth - Canada is loaded so again what is the measure. There is more than just one or a few criteria.. Canada like any nation would probably rank differently on the greatness scale depending on what criteria is being measured.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:30 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think the question is what what is being measured.. Is the definition of greatness a nation with a lot of history and culture, expanding military and economic power but with a MASSIVE population where the majority are very poor. Is this a 'great country'
What country do you have in mind here exactly?

Old 05-20-2015, 07:43 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Compared to the US (which is what this is always about) Canada is not the place where you go if you want to take on the world, but on the other hand far fewer people fall through the cracks here and it's arguably slightly more successful at providing a decent life for a higher percentage of its citizens.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:09 AM

678 posts, read 875,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Compared to the US (which is what this is always about) Canada is not the place where you go if you want to take on the world, but on the other hand far fewer people fall through the cracks here and it's arguably slightly more successful at providing a decent life for a higher percentage of its citizens.
I believe that's what he meant

Old 05-20-2015, 09:16 AM

194 posts, read 423,165 times
No need to get aggravated, I think the poll's results give a better picture of what people think than some of the rants going on here.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What country do you have in mind here exactly?
I was thinking of China and India which are emerging nations and there are elements of greatness but also elements of mediocrity.. Even the U.S - which is probably accepted as a 'Great' nation also has elements of mediocrity..

So again claiming Canada is a mediocre country is pretty broad based and really it would depend on what one is measuring. I think there are certainly elements of mediocrity but there are also elements of greatness.

Let's look at human development - is Canada mediocre or is it great.. What about social values, mediocre or great.. Human rights issues - mediocre or great.. So yeah all depends..

I think a specific example of greatness is on the matter of Gay rights.. A nation where we can get married, have our spouse listed on an extended health care plan from work and also a nation where we can serve openly in the military.. An example of greatness.. Concomitantly, look at our military and its capabilities purely from a projection of power perspective - I would say it is an element of mediocrity. So again - what exactly is being measured...

Last edited by fusion2; 05-20-2015 at 04:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada