Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 05:07 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

DETROIT, May 13 (UPI) -- A planned $2.1 billion bridge dubbed the New International Trade Crossing between Canada and the United States will reportedly be formally named Thursday.
The new public bridge between Detroit, Mich., and Windsor, Ontario, will be named in the event attended by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Michigan's Republican Gov. Rick Snyder.

New bridge between Canada and United States to be named - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 05:12 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Obama won't be there!!??.....Shocking lol..

Old 05-13-2015, 05:30 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Why would he attend the naming ceremony of a bridge that isn't built yet and needed land acquisition is still pending?

Old 05-13-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Why would he attend the naming ceremony of a bridge that isn't built yet and needed land acquisition is still pending?
The Prime Minister of Canada will be there.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:08 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
When you are the leader of the greatest country on earth you don't really have time to attend a bridge ceremony

Old 05-13-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
When you are the leader of the greatest country on earth you don't really have time to attend a bridge ceremony
Actually I think someone like a Bill Clinton or Ronald Reagan would have found the time.. Obama was probably out golfing or something zzzzzzzzzzzz....... Anyway, Clinton/Reagan seemed to have a more vested interest in recognizing the importance of the Canada/U.S trade relationship.. Obama has been the most 'disconnected' American President with respect to Canadian affairs in probably a generation.. In all of GWB's ignorance, I still think he wasn't as nonchalant about the relationship as Obama.

The trade relationship will continue to be strong - but it isn't something that either country should take for granted or disrespect as far as I'm concerned.. Obama hasn't been sending very positive signals to our nation to be honest and it'll take some time and new leadership to change that. I can tell you that the continued Obama approach in future Presidents towards Canadian affairs will regretably see the nations further disconnect over time and I think that would be unfortunate but no relationship can be a one-sided affair for too long.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:56 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Actually I think someone like a Bill Clinton or Ronald Reagan would have found the time.. Obama was probably out golfing or something zzzzzzzzzzzz....... Anyway, Clinton/Reagan seemed to have a more vested interest in recognizing the importance of the Canada/U.S trade relationship.. Obama has been the most 'disconnected' American President with respect to Canadian affairs in probably a generation.. In all of GWB's ignorance, I still think he wasn't as nonchalant about the relationship as Obama.

The trade relationship will continue to be strong - but it isn't something that either country should take for granted or disrespect as far as I'm concerned.. Obama hasn't been sending very positive signals to our nation to be honest and it'll take some time and new leadership to change that. I can tell you that the continued Obama approach in future Presidents towards Canadian affairs will regretably see the nations further disconnect over time and I think that would be unfortunate but no relationship can be a one-sided affair for too long.
I think the Keystone pipeline might be one factor for Obama keeping a distance from Canada. After all he has to keep Warren Buffet and all of his freight rail holdings busy, and likewise for firefighters in North Dakota (Train Hauling Crude From ND Oil Patch Derails, Catches Fire - ABC News). And the Amtrak disaster this morning on the heels of this story. This US is quite tone-def on the realities of its aging infrastructure at the moment. By the way, didn't Canada foot pretty much the entire bill for this new bridge?

Old 05-13-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I think the Keystone pipeline might be one factor for Obama keeping a distance from Canada. After all he has to keep Warren Buffet and all of his freight rail holdings busy, and likewise for firefighters in North Dakota (Train Hauling Crude From ND Oil Patch Derails, Catches Fire - ABC News). And the Amtrak disaster this morning on the heels of this story. This US is quite tone-def on the realities of its aging infrastructure at the moment. By the way, didn't Canada foot pretty much the entire bill for this new bridge?
I think Obama has perplexed a lot of the U.S' traditional allies and just has a very peculiar approach to them.. I don't think many countries leaders other than maybe Iran's President will really miss Obama to be honest.. As for paying for the bridge I believe you are correct - either Canada is paying for the Bridge or the U.S Customs facility or both lol... even though the bridge will benefit both nations far more than the cost of its investment. Anyway, our PM is an idiot for constantly pandering over Obama.. As soon as he knew Obama wasn't taking part he should have just launched a trade mission to Asia

Anyway the Amtrak disaster is certainly an understandable reason but I doubt Obama would have attended regardless. Speaking of hauling oil by rail - since Keystone is delayed indefinately the amount of Canadian oil being transported by rail has increased dramatically as you know.. I guess pick your poison... Its pretty sad though that both these guys can't put differences aside and be more mature about things.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-13-2015 at 08:21 PM..

Old 05-13-2015, 08:42 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
DETROIT, May 13 (UPI) -- A planned $2.1 billion bridge dubbed the New International Trade Crossing between Canada and the United States will reportedly be formally named Thursday.
So the new bridge's name will be "Thursday"?

Desert_SW_77; yes, as far as I am aware, Canada is paying for nearly everything involved with this bridge. It is long overdue.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:20 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:

The governments yes but who cares about them, just a bunch of rich guys in suits... us everyday citizens can still grow closer on our own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada