U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 11:42 AM

2,566 posts, read 2,189,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer reign View Post
Dude don't give up. Go to the Immigration Canada website and visit the frequently asked questions section and study the site as much as possible.

You're young, maybe apply at a school there and live in Canada on a student visa. Or get a Work from Home job in the States and then find a cheap bachelor apartment in Canada on Craigslist.

That way you're not taking jobs away from any Canadian Citizens. Cause that's all anyone really cares about until you become a Permanent Resident or Citizen

The catch is you gotta go back and visit the U.S. I believe every six months. I think you can stay in Canada for six months without any kind of visa because that was one of the countries listed that can visit Canada for 6 mths with no need of a visa.

Where there's a will, there's a way. You just gotta do your own homework. I asked for advice on CD and didn't find out what I needed to know about migrating to Canada until I went to the Immigration Canada website.

Also, stop wasting time asking on CD when you could call a school or employment agency in Canada and get the information you need from the people you plan to deal with in Canada. Always cut out the middle man as much as possible.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Study it carefully grasshopper
Interesting advice except how can the OP actually lead a viable living in Canada as an undocumented visitor? In Canada, you can't even open a bank account or driver license unless you prove your legal visa status (unlike some states in America where you can get away with driver license as an undocumented worker). Even if you want to see the doctor, you'll need a government-issued Health Card because all health facilities are publicly owned here, unless you declare that you are a tourist and willing to pay exorbitant out-of-pocket fees. Also, it would be nearly impossible for you to access any sort of educational or public services as a tourist/visitor, unless the OP plans on being a hermit and never have any interaction with the outside world. U.S. citizens can visit for up to 6 months as visitors/tourists yes, but should the Canadian customs ever suspect any sliver of intention to stay permanently, the OP might as well just kiss goodbye to any future chances of becoming Permanent Resident.

I remember when I moved to Toronto from Boston last summer and tried to open a simple checking account at the Royal Bank of Canada, the bank clerk was really specific about asking for my passport and legal status in Canada because they are required to record and submit that information to the government. When I said I left my passport in my apartment, the clerk then questioned whether I was here as a U.S. tourist, PR, Canadian citizen, or other visa categories. It's not just the border customs that you have to deal with - almost every facet of life will require proof of legal status in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 01:44 PM

34,479 posts, read 41,600,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
It's not just the border customs that you have to deal with - almost every facet of life will require proof of legal status in Canada.
In the mind of the op this doesnt seem to apply to him and if its suggested then its just because we dont want him coming to Canada.
Quote:
field l0ver

ah bull sh*t. Employers and people have mas rights than that... you're just bull sh*tting me because you dont want me coming to your country. I get it

Old 05-22-2015, 03:18 PM

48 posts, read 38,128 times
who says I'm trying to do anything illegal? I want to come in, look for a job that an employer can sponsor me on...get all the paperwork in order that would allow me to live and work there...I'm not trying to do anything illegal

Old 05-22-2015, 03:26 PM

12,716 posts, read 8,796,725 times
Quote:
Interesting advice except how can the OP actually lead a viable living in Canada as an undocumented visitor? In Canada, you can't even open a bank account or driver license unless you prove your legal visa status (unlike some states in America where you can get away with driver license as an undocumented worker). Even if you want to see the doctor, you'll need a government-issued Health Card because all health facilities are publicly owned here, unless you declare that you are a tourist and willing to pay exorbitant out-of-pocket fees. Also, it would be nearly impossible for you to access any sort of educational or public services as a tourist/visitor, unless the OP plans on being a hermit and never have any interaction with the outside world. U.S. citizens can visit for up to 6 months as visitors/tourists yes, but should the Canadian customs ever suspect any sliver of intention to stay permanently, the OP might as well just kiss goodbye to any future chances of becoming Permanent Resident.

I remember when I moved to Toronto from Boston last summer and tried to open a simple checking account at the Royal Bank of Canada, the bank clerk was really specific about asking for my passport and legal status in Canada because they are required to record and submit that information to the government. When I said I left my passport in my apartment, the clerk then questioned whether I was here as a U.S. tourist, PR, Canadian citizen, or other visa categories. It's not just the border customs that you have to deal with - almost every facet of life will require proof of legal status in Canada.
As you know every province is slightly different, but in BC places like the walk - in clinics are privately owned,
the lab your doctor sends you for blood tests etc are privately owned, such as LifeLabs which is owned by
Borealis Infrastructure. Even hospitals are not publicly owned but mainly non-profit organizations.

There are even private clinics that offer services for a fee for things that are not covered by your provincial healthcare, or items like MRI's for those who wish to pay.
It's the insurance that is universal. It is a single-payer system.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:30 PM

12,716 posts, read 8,796,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by field l0ver View Post
who says I'm trying to do anything illegal? I want to come in, look for a job that an employer can sponsor me on...get all the paperwork in order that would allow me to live and work there...I'm not trying to do anything illegal
Cart before horse will not work. No employer is going to hire someone and wait around for them to get their paperwork in order....UNLESS they are in a highly specialized field and that company has done some head hunting. Especially when the rules are they must hire Canadians first, then if no Canadian fits the bill, then look elsewhere.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:53 PM

48 posts, read 38,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Cart before horse will not work. No employer is going to hire someone and wait around for them to get their paperwork in order....UNLESS they are in a highly specialized field and that company has done some head hunting. Especially when the rules are they must hire Canadians first, then if no Canadian fits the bill, then look elsewhere.

well I think it has been done from what I've read...maybe its difficult. Thing is I only live a short drive from the border, I can try over and over. But...this is called an LMO right? whatever that stands for. I just need to find an employer who is willing to send that LMO out and get me on board. Prolly not as hard as you think

Old 05-22-2015, 05:35 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,498,689 times
Quote:
Maybe you could get a job at Tim Hortons on a work visa. At the end of the visa period, you can go home.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:01 PM

54 posts, read 40,040 times
Quote:

I told him to study the Immigration Canada site carefully so that he will become aware of his legal options. No one is suggesting that he just do a blind dive. He would have to prepare and go through a process in order to study in Canada.

If he knows that he's coming regardless of what any of us say: Then give him the benefit of the doubt that he's intelligent enough to know that he will save up money NOW before he visits Canada. I suggested a telecommute/remote job where he'd be getting his money sent to the American bank account that HE ALREADY HAS. This isn't the dark ages. He can go anywhere in the world and access his bank account electronically using his Debit/Credit card. And just about everybody has Direct Deposit so he can set that up with his current bank account or some other form of electronic payment. So what is the issue? All he has to worry about is getting an International phone plan that calls Canada and U.S. so he doesn't get crazy roaming charges while he visits.

He's just visiting.... Until he can move

Old 05-22-2015, 07:28 PM

54 posts, read 40,040 times
Here's a link to a Start-up that helps you find Global Telecommuter/Work from Home jobs
https://www.upwork.com/blog/2015/05/...is-now-upwork/

Then I seen one today called Flexjobs.com. They say they charge $15 a month to join so I'm not sure yet. It's supposed to be ligit though. I need to search both of these companies some more. Hopefully it's not a scam. But I know those kind of jobs exist for people with our circumstances For example:

There's a lady living in Brazil doing Missionary work and to fund her stay she teaches English online from her PC/Laptop and she is an American Citizen. But when her allotted time is up on her Visa she comes home to the U.S. to "visit", work a temp job, save more U.S. currency then goes right back to Brazil. I don't know if she's applied for PR or not though.

I know that Brazil isn't Canada. I just just used her as an example of a U.S. Citizen Working from Home in a foreign country.

It can be done.

Last edited by summer reign; 05-22-2015 at 08:26 PM..

Old 05-22-2015, 08:17 PM

2,190 posts, read 1,761,851 times
Quote:
well I think it has been done from what I've read...maybe its difficult. Thing is I only live a short drive from the border, I can try over and over. But...this is called an LMO right? whatever that stands for. I just need to find an employer who is willing to send that LMO out and get me on board. Prolly not as hard as you think
Prolly harder than you seem to think.

An LMO (Labour Market Opinion) is not "sent out by the employer." The employer must ask the government for one. This involves the employer paying a fee to the government, advertising the position in a variety of ways for a certain period of time, and engaging in a number of other "time and money" obligations borne by the employer. If no qualified Canadians respond to all this advertising etc., then (and only then) will the government issue an LMO to the employer.

In the end, it's not up to the employer. It's up to the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or