U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2015, 04:48 PM
AFP
 
6,898 posts, read 4,243,943 times
Reputation: 5878

Advertisements

Op I've read all you posts basically all you say is I want to get out of the US because it sucks, Canada is better, need to get a job there to get my citizenship. You also throw a couple of fits in between when you don't get the answers you want, honestly you sound like a teenager that has put very little thought into the matter. How do you know that you would like Canada better you haven't lived there but you're sure you would like to live in Canada forever. blah blah blah This thread gave me a good laugh. You really should put a great deal more thought into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2015, 05:21 PM
 
48 posts, read 38,038 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think you should try too just so you will get the answers you need straight from the horse's mouth. Here's some tips for you.

First off, if you are intent on asking questions then park the car in the parking lot and go straight into the office to make all enquiries and pick up informational forms. Don't get in line to drive through because the customs officials at the booths won't answer questions or give advice on such matters and will just detain you and direct you to the office anyway. It's better to go to the office on your own initiative rather than being detained by them and possibly get permanently red-flagged in their database system.
.
yes I think that is a good idea...I was planning on parking on the US side and walking over anyway. So okay I can just walk straight to the customs officers and give them all my inquiries. Yea and I think it will look better if I don't go over with a vehicle...because people driving over gets pretty annoying I assume. But walking...forget about it

Okay so I think that will be my plan. I might do this on monday though because I didn't realize that this was a long weekend. There will probably be more people trying to cross the border tomorrow than on monday. So that should give me some time to get prepared...I do have a passport by the way. Luckily I have that...not like I've done any international travelling, but I do have it. So I am basically prepared
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2015, 05:44 PM
 
5,097 posts, read 2,490,397 times
Reputation: 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by field l0ver View Post
yes I think that is a good idea...I was planning on parking on the US side and walking over anyway. So okay I can just walk straight to the customs officers and give them all my inquiries. Yea and I think it will look better if I don't go over with a vehicle...because people driving over gets pretty annoying I assume. But walking...forget about it

Okay so I think that will be my plan. I might do this on monday though because I didn't realize that this was a long weekend. There will probably be more people trying to cross the border tomorrow than on monday. So that should give me some time to get prepared...I do have a passport by the way. Luckily I have that...not like I've done any international travelling, but I do have it. So I am basically prepared
I think you're doing this out of order. If you want to cross the border to see whether you can secure a job, then just cross the border as a weekend visitor. You could also contact prospective employers by email. If you secure a job, start the visa paperwork.

My son recently decided that he wanted to live in London. He contacted the person at the top of the company where he wants to work, and asked for a job. That man reviewed his resume, and told him to be in touch when the visa paperwork was in order. It's happening under a two year work visa. He starts in a couple of weeks. That's the right order to do it. That is, this is the right order in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 02:16 AM
 
34,399 posts, read 41,509,339 times
Reputation: 29878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think you should try too just so you will get the answers you need straight from the horse's mouth. Here's some tips for you.

First off, if you are intent on asking questions then park the car in the parking lot and go straight into the office to make all enquiries and pick up informational forms. Don't get in line to drive through because the customs officials at the booths won't answer questions or give advice on such matters and will just detain you and direct you to the office anyway. It's better to go to the office on your own initiative rather than being detained by them and possibly get permanently red-flagged in their database system.

Don't refer to any of the officers there as "border patrol" unless you want to give offense. They are not border patrol, they are Immigration and Customs Officers. Border Patrol is a different security agency and their main offices are not located at the border crossings, they are elsewhere and their teams of officers are away on patrol in helicopters, planes, boats, motorcycles, horses, ATV's and 4X4's, etc.

For god's sakes, whatever else you do, don't try to get funny and crack jokes with any of the officers on either side of the border. Especially not with your brand of humour because it's not funny, it really sucks big time. Try to get all humourous with those guys, or alternatively, if you argue, lose your temper or use ANY kind of foul language, it will automatically make them cranky and suspicious and they will detain you and interrogate you. The Americans will fingerprint you and may hold you for hours and hours while they check your records and then red-flag you into the database. So be polite, respectful and serious and say "yes sir, no sir, please and thank you, sir" wherever applicable.

You do have a passport, right? Because you will need your passport. Canadian officials might let you through without a passport if you have all the other required ID, but without passport when you go to return to USA the American I&C officers will detain you while they look up your records and give you no end of grief in their interrogations, and they will fingerprint you and red-flag you in the database for next time you try to cross the border. Red-flagging is permanent, it never goes away.

.
Good points Zoi,especially about the humor as these guys just get real weird if you inject humor into their questioning.
One thing going into the border/customs office is a good idea but in my experience you have to go through the border check point before you can access the offices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 03:16 AM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,169,964 times
Reputation: 13467
We're gettin' trolled so hard. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 04:41 AM
 
34,399 posts, read 41,509,339 times
Reputation: 29878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
We're gettin' trolled so hard. lol
Yeah i know but as i.m retired and have nothing better to do i dont mind playing along.
I'm looking forward to how the topic goes after our op supposedly drives to the border and confronts the CBSA..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 05:25 AM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,169,964 times
Reputation: 13467
Lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 07:32 AM
 
18,294 posts, read 10,386,738 times
Reputation: 13359
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Yeah i know but as i.m retired and have nothing better to do i dont mind playing along.
I'm looking forward to how the topic goes after our op supposedly drives to the border and confronts the CBSA..
I'll be danged; a kindred soul!

We do have to be aware though Jambo; there are way more of them than there are of us.

This could very easily turn into an ever more involved exercise of pointless and wasted repartee with narcissists who take delight in self-aggrandizement. Taking just one example of a poster who indulges themselves by using a profile name that is a play on 'charismatic' as a Freudian exemplar of the breed in general.

A pipe smoking, head-shrinking couch jockey would have a field day with young ones such as those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Poshawa, Ontario
2,986 posts, read 3,324,026 times
Reputation: 5622
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
You want to come to Canada to escape American culture? Do you see the irony in that?
I was wondering the same thing. I don't know about Sasketchewan, but the dude's in for a rude awakening if he decides to move to Ontario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Poshawa, Ontario
2,986 posts, read 3,324,026 times
Reputation: 5622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You do have a passport, right? Because you will need your passport. Canadian officials might let you through without a passport if you have all the other required ID, but without passport when you go to return to USA the American I&C officers will detain you while they look up your records and give you no end of grief in their interrogations, and they will fingerprint you and red-flag you in the database for next time you try to cross the border. Red-flagging is permanent, it never goes away.
An American does not necessarily need a passport to enter Canada, but anyone (including American citizens themselves) require one to enter the United States.

From: Travellers - Travel Documents

Visitors to Canada

Identification requirements for U. S. citizens and permanent residents


If you are a U.S. citizen, ensure you carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

For all modes of entry, we recommend you carry a valid passport for all travel abroad, including visits to Canada from the United States. A passport may be required by your airline or alternative transportation authority, as it is the only universally-accepted identification document.

Citizens and permanent residents of the United States who are members of the NEXUS or FAST programs may present their membership cards to the CBSA as proof of identity and as documents that denote citizenship, when arriving by land or marine modes only.


From: Travelling in North America - Passport Canada

All travellers, including US and Canadian citizens, must present a valid passport or other approved secure document when entering the United States.

Although many countries require that a passport be valid at least six months beyond the duration of your stay, American authorities currently state that as a Canadian: "Your passport only needs to be valid for the duration of your planned trip to the U.S."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top