Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 03:54 PM

48 posts, read 50,161 times

Advertisements

Okay...I know this question has been asked a thousand and three times, but rather than read over all of the other people's I'm just going to post my own stuff and people can hopefully hook me up with some information and advice.

Okay...I am 26 years old, white male, with 4 years of college education and however no degree! I am thoroughly disenchanted with American culture, and I want to become a Canadian citizen so that I can leave it behind and never look back. I've been reading that the process of immigration can be fast tracked with a job. What I am confused on is whether I can simply show up to Canada and start asking around for a job, or whether there is a ton of paperwork that will have to be handled first.

I mean... can I not just show up to Ontario or Seskatchewan and start asking around for a job? and by job I mean a low level, crappy job... and from there, can I not get all the rest of the paperwork sorted out? ...housing permits, working permits, whatever permits...and then in a year or 2 apply for canadian citizenship? Can it be that easy? Can I get the job first by showing up, and then take care of everything else? or is there a lengthy preliminary process that must needs come first?

Because if there is no lengthy process that must needs come first, then I don't know whats stopping me from getting into my moms car, crossing the border and looking for a job for 60 days straight and then taking that paperwork to the canadian embassy to setup a residence permit, etc. and inevitably beginning my journey in Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 05:19 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,099 times
Short answer: no.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:24 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Next to the short answer: No. No one can legally hire you if you aren't allowed to work in Canada.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:29 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Slightly longer answer - check out this eligibility link - Determine your eligibility - Immigrate to Canada - Government of Canada

Old 05-16-2015, 05:32 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by field l0ver View Post
Okay...I know this question has been asked a thousand and three times, but rather than read over all of the other people's I'm just going to post my own stuff and people can hopefully hook me up with some information and advice.

Okay...I am 26 years old, white male, with 4 years of college education and however no degree! I am thoroughly disenchanted with American culture, and I want to become a Canadian citizen so that I can leave it behind and never look back. I've been reading that the process of immigration can be fast tracked with a job. What I am confused on is whether I can simply show up to Canada and start asking around for a job, or whether there is a ton of paperwork that will have to be handled first.

I mean... can I not just show up to Ontario or Seskatchewan and start asking around for a job? and by job I mean a low level, crappy job... and from there, can I not get all the rest of the paperwork sorted out? ...housing permits, working permits, whatever permits...and then in a year or 2 apply for canadian citizenship? Can it be that easy? Can I get the job first by showing up, and then take care of everything else? or is there a lengthy preliminary process that must needs come first?

Because if there is no lengthy process that must needs come first, then I don't know whats stopping me from getting into my moms car, crossing the border and looking for a job for 60 days straight and then taking that paperwork to the canadian embassy to setup a residence permit, etc. and inevitably beginning my journey in Canada
First question is do you have a passport or a passport card?
If the answer is no you do not have either what is going to stop you from getting into your Mom's car and crossing the board are the Canadian Authorities at the border.

You should probably leave your Mom's car for her to use since it is hers and if you cannot afford your own car in the USA I suggest you purchase your own vehicle in the USA and take it to Canada IF you have a passport or a passport card.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:30 PM

678 posts, read 875,513 times
I love the title of this thread.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:36 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
I love the title of this thread.
I thought the part about his mom's car was very catchy.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:42 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
I am confused on is whether I can simply show up to Canada and start asking around for a job, or whether there is a ton of paperwork that will have to be handled first.
You cant just show up in another country and start working, you need a work visa and if you plan on staying permanently you need to go through the process of immigration.
The ton of paperwork starts here=Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Best of luck.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:41 AM

48 posts, read 50,161 times
I understand that you need a visa and stuff... but first you need an employer to sponsor you. I think that can come first, then the visa, etc. So I would find the job first, then setup the visa and stuff after I've found an employer that will put me on board. Okay, maybe no one knows here..I think no one really knows

Old 05-17-2015, 04:45 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
I understand that you need a visa and stuff... but first you need an employer to sponsor you. I think that can come first, then the visa, etc. So I would find the job first, then setup the visa and stuff after I've found an employer that will put me on board. Okay, maybe no one knows here..I think no one really knows

Wrong, others have already told you but you just do not want to read that you cannot just cross a border without any documents, get a job then make it all legal later.

Why don't you call the Canadian Consulate and ask them how to legally enter their country without any documentation at all.

By the way, if you have ever been arrested, charged and convicted of a crime you can't get in anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada