Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:22 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know it's become almost stereotypical: the person from the States who wants to relocate to Canada. I would really like to move my family to your beautiful country.

I grew up in Minnesota and used to take annual trips to Canada as a child. Very fond memories.

I realize Canada isn't magical happy land full of singing butterflies and rainbow unicorns-- I am well-traveled and have lived all over the USA and visited several other countries--Canada and Mexico as well as in Europe.

I am also aware that Canada is vast and culturally diverse, with different topography, customs, climates and ways of life from one region to another.

But I've been doing a lot of soul-searching and study, and I really feel as if my family would fare better in Canada in many respects.

For one thing, I don't really care to be affiliated with the gov't of the USA in any way. I am not a political radical, nor have I ever been in trouble with the law, but I grow incresingly disgusted with the US's foreign and domestic policies. I don't care to live or raise my children in a nation that is a warring superpower.

I am also attracted to Canada's superior educational system and lower rates of violent crime.

I am going to be seeking a job in Canada and wondered if anyone might have any advice, suggestions or general thoughts on the matter.

I have looked into the immigration policies and I appear to clear the "points system" well enough. I am a professional librarian with a master's degree and several years' experience in the field (as well as a decade-plus of experience working with mentally and physically disabled people prior to that. I am 39 and my wife is 36. We have two daughters who are 8 and 9.

I have no plans to be a leech on the Canadian system or attempt to superimpose the kind of life I've known in the States onto any area we may end up (if we are so fortunate) in Canada.

Does anyone think I may have a snowball's chance of being able to move my family to your country?

Any advice, etc.?

Am I being realistic at all?

We are not wealthy people, but we are stable, resourceful and adaptable and very willing to switch citizenship if possible.

I appreciate any comments or replies.

Thanks in advance.

PS-- if anyone knows anything about any library system in any area of Canada that might be seeking an enthusiastic, hard-working and knowledgeable professional, let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 11:24 AM

6 posts, read 26,636 times
Default Hello

Hi, may I suggest applying under Manitoba's Provincial Nominee System? This province seeks to bring in 10,000 to 11,000 immigrants a year, especially skilled ones such as yourself. Check under the Manitoba government's website for the Provincial Nominee Program. Since you are from Minnesota, you no doubt know about Manitoba. Winnipeg, the capital, has 650,000 people and has a growing economy with a low unemployment rate and low cost of living. You can get a good house here for under 200 grand. There are lots of great lakes and we're close to the U.S. border if you ever get homesick. Let me know what you think, even if Manitoba is not on your radar screen.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:47 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
I think you've thought it through, and ultimately if you clear the hurdles, I don't see why you wouldn't do it.

Ironically I just moved the other way from Calgary to Houston.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:47 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I think you've thought it through, and ultimately if you clear the hurdles, I don't see why you wouldn't do it.

Ironically I just moved the other way from Calgary to Houston.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Thanks for the kind words.

Now, I have to ask: Houston?

Was this job-related? Family-related? I certainly don't mean to offend, but let's just say Houston isn't my favorite city or my first choice of places to live in the USA.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:28 AM

Work and quality of life ultimately.

I work in Oil & Gas, and was offered an internal transfer/promotion. I traded the mountains and freezing your butt off winters for the gulf coast and silly summer heat.

Houston is actually a great city. Very diverse, very green, and cheap cheap.

My wife is expecting and relocating to Houston has made the option of my wife being a stay at home mom viable. It never would have been an option under the current tax system in Canada.

That, and you don't have to shovel heat.

Mike

Old 11-19-2007, 07:47 AM

146 posts, read 453,743 times
Quote:
Work and quality of life ultimately.

My wife is expecting and relocating to Houston has made the option of my wife being a stay at home mom viable. It never would have been an option under the current tax system in Canada.

Mike
Can you explain this more? Is the tax system so high that you lose too much money? What about benefits and health care, etc?

Just wondering -

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Old 11-19-2007, 09:22 AM

Health care is provided by my employer, so it is a payroll deduction, where in Canada it is a tax item and a payroll deduction as well. Texas has 0% personal income tax. Alberta, has 15%, which is the second lowest in Canada.

Interest on your mortgage is tax deductable in the US, not so in Canada. My property taxes in the US are tax deductable as well.

Cost of living is lower in TX. Gasoline is 30% less, cars are 30% less, produce is less, clothing and household goods are significantly cheaper in the US.

While I have to pay out of pocket for healthcare, the net savings are large when combined.

Mike

Old 11-19-2007, 09:42 AM

146 posts, read 453,743 times
Quote:

While I have to pay out of pocket for healthcare, the net savings are large when combined.

Mike

Thanks Mike - I have often wondered about the net gain/loss there would be with a move to Canada. Of course Texas is a somewhat cheaper place to live than where I am in the US, but still, it's something to consider.

Elizabeth

Old 11-21-2007, 07:51 PM

15 posts, read 60,726 times
I am a Canadian that worked as a librarian in the US for a number of years under the NAFTA agreement. I imagine that it works for Americans wanting to work in Canada too. See: AMCITS • Business • U.S. Consular Services in Canada (http://www.amcits.com/business_americans_canada.asp - broken link)

The trick is to make it be known to potential employers in Canada that you would be eligible to work as a professional librarian under NAFTA. You would indicate this on any resumes or job applications. I would visit the online job boards of various provincial library associations, Canadian Library Association and the faculty of information at University of Toronto to see what's available. Also, the Ontario Library Association conference is at the end of January and they sometimes interview for positions there. The number of library jobs in Canada is not very great, but if you have experience, then that's an advantage.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 8,234 times
Hi Griffis,

It is my own similar search/research that led me to see your post. While I am very disenchanted with some of the ways of the USA, I know how to make the most of things here, having always been here. The health care system, while it seems to be moving toward change, is a big problem - and the part of the problem I don't want anything to do with is mandatory health insurance. I consider the insurance companies the biggest part of the problem. Having said that, Canada does not strike me as a particularly affordable place to live. Of course, affordable is in the eye of the beholder. I'd like our household to thrive. I'm afraid we may not be able to do that here, and would have to settle for mere survival. I'm currently taking a look at Mexico (from afar!) and just joined MexConnect as well. Citizens pay for their health care there, but that cost and the general cost of living would place this household in the "thriving" category. I have much research to do, as I want to know all the negatives as well before making any move, and of course will also have to do some traveling and visiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada