U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-26-2015, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,706 posts, read 8,786,090 times
Reputation: 7319

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My bad. Should have specified a region...
Typical " Easterner " LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2015, 01:31 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,289,596 times
Reputation: 7587
Tim Hortons is a low end coffee shop chain and is successful in Canada, its home country. It has practically close to zero recognition outside Canada and few American states.

Zara and H&M also sell more clothes than more upscale brands. Different markets. They don't even compete against each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2015, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,962 posts, read 27,416,532 times
Reputation: 8626
When you think about it, Tim Hortons = Dunkin' Donuts.

Not Starbucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2015, 04:03 PM
 
1,218 posts, read 2,119,713 times
Reputation: 1316
I think Tim's is a better-run, more consistent franchise but broadly speaking, I agree it is going after the same target market as Dunkin' - value conscious, less frills, everybody kind of crowd.

Starbucks is targeting a more higher income/consumption and youthful crowd. People willing to pay up for fancier blends and other concoctions in a hipper atmosphere.

Head to head, I do prefer the coffee quality at Starbucks compared to both Tim's and Dunkin. It just tastes better, but of course likely costs more.

Again, not sure what the OP is talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if Tim's dominated in smaller towns, but Starbucks seems to be doing very well in the city Toronto. I'd say in the more affluent parts of TO, it seems like it's the most dominant in terms of chains. If anything, a Starbucks is typically seen as symbol of gentrification in a neighborhood; a Coffee Time means you've got a ways to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2015, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,165,533 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I think Tim's is a better-run, more consistent franchise but broadly speaking, I agree it is going after the same target market as Dunkin' - value conscious, less frills, everybody kind of crowd.

Starbucks is targeting a more higher income/consumption and youthful crowd. People willing to pay up for fancier blends and other concoctions in a hipper atmosphere.

Head to head, I do prefer the coffee quality at Starbucks compared to both Tim's and Dunkin. It just tastes better, but of course likely costs more.

Again, not sure what the OP is talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if Tim's dominated in smaller towns, but Starbucks seems to be doing very well in the city Toronto. I'd say in the more affluent parts of TO, it seems like it's the most dominant in terms of chains. If anything, a Starbucks is typically seen as symbol of gentrification in a neighborhood; a Coffee Time means you've got a ways to go.
For some its a matter of preference not so much cost... I could easily afford Starbucks but just prefer Tim's... It may be more 'low' end but I simply like it better. It would be interesting to look at the more affluent parts of T.O and see which is king of coffee in those areas. I would imagine you'd also see more independent cafe's in these areas.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-26-2015 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2015, 04:11 PM
 
873 posts, read 817,309 times
Reputation: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
You can see a Starbucks from the entrance of another Starbucks in Parkdale.

Not too shabby.
That's because Starbucks isn't a franchise and it's owned by one entity so they can build as many Starbucks close to each other and not lose profit. Meanwhile you can actually see another Tim Hortons store in the distance from another Tim Hortons store and both stores are crazy busy, now that's what I call success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2015, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,165,533 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
That's because Starbucks isn't a franchise and it's owned by one entity so they can build as many Starbucks close to each other and not lose profit. Meanwhile you can actually see another Tim Hortons store in the distance from another Tim Hortons store and both stores are crazy busy, now that's what I call success.
Even if a medium Tim's cost 2.35 CAD and what a Tall Starbucks Bold or Mild cost 1.65 CAD i'd still buy the Tim's if given the choice.... I think most people day in day out throwing 1.65 at Tim's could afford the 2.35 at Starbucks its simply a matter of preference and at least in Canada I think the choice has been made what is number 1 and what is number 2.. If you think about it though - its convenience coffee and either price is a rip off at both Tim's and Starbucks.. You can brew your own at home which is much much better and for a fraction of the cost..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2015, 08:06 PM
 
800 posts, read 509,939 times
Reputation: 304
Starbucks is really popular in toronto. I only go for the specialty drink. I am quite ok with McCafE And there sticker incentives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2015, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,165,533 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
Starbucks is really popular in toronto. I only go for the specialty drink. I am quite ok with McCafE And there sticker incentives.
Actually Starbucks does do a good specialty drink though too many fraps aren't a good thing..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2015, 10:17 PM
 
800 posts, read 509,939 times
Reputation: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Actually Starbucks does do a good specialty drink though too many fraps aren't a good thing..
They will make you fat. But they are delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top