U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 07:22 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,120,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
For some its a matter of preference not so much cost... I could easily afford Starbucks but just prefer Tim's... It may be more 'low' end but I simply like it better. It would be interesting to look at the more affluent parts of T.O and see which is king of coffee in those areas. I would imagine you'd also see more independent cafe's in these areas.

It's not hard to check in terms of chain coffee. The most "affluent" parts of Toronto are all the neighborhoods off Yonge starting at Bloor up to Wilson/Yorkmills. I live at Yonge & Lawrence and can tell you there is only 1 small Tim Horton's vs. 4 Starbucks in the Lawrence Park area. Go down to Yonge and Eg (upscale residential + probably the highest concentration of yuppies in the city) and there 5 Starbucks vs. 3 Tim's. Yonge and St Clair (borders Forest Hill and Summerhill) and there's 3 Starbucks vs. 1 Tim's. Rosedale has 1 Starbucks vs. 0 Tim's. Go further south to Yorkville (upscale shopping/residential district) and there are 4 Starbucks vs. 1 Tim's. And mind you, a lot of these Starbucks down Yonge are bigger and several have sizable patios too. What else is considered upscale or affluent? Maybe High Park/Bloor West Village? 2 Starbucks vs. 1 Tim's. Leaside? 4 Starbucks vs. 1 Tim's. Harbord Villiage? 2 Starbucks vs. 0 Tim's. Bloor/Royal York? 2 Starbucks vs. 1 Tim's.

Last edited by johnathanc; 05-27-2015 at 07:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 09:08 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,730,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Because Tim Hortons is way better. It's funny at my University every single day the lineup at Tim Hortons goes all the way to the back of the store and takes forever to order coffee. Two doors down the Starbucks is always dead with maybe one or two people buying coffee there.
I like Starbucks' coffee better, but overall I prefer Timmy's as a place. I like the food at Tim Hortons, especially the chili!

Old 05-27-2015, 04:08 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,170,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
It's not hard to check in terms of chain coffee. The most "affluent" parts of Toronto are all the neighborhoods off Yonge starting at Bloor up to Wilson/Yorkmills. I live at Yonge & Lawrence and can tell you there is only 1 small Tim Horton's vs. 4 Starbucks in the Lawrence Park area. Go down to Yonge and Eg (upscale residential + probably the highest concentration of yuppies in the city) and there 5 Starbucks vs. 3 Tim's. Yonge and St Clair (borders Forest Hill and Summerhill) and there's 3 Starbucks vs. 1 Tim's. Rosedale has 1 Starbucks vs. 0 Tim's. Go further south to Yorkville (upscale shopping/residential district) and there are 4 Starbucks vs. 1 Tim's. And mind you, a lot of these Starbucks down Yonge are bigger and several have sizable patios too. What else is considered upscale or affluent? Maybe High Park/Bloor West Village? 2 Starbucks vs. 1 Tim's. Leaside? 4 Starbucks vs. 1 Tim's. Harbord Villiage? 2 Starbucks vs. 0 Tim's. Bloor/Royal York? 2 Starbucks vs. 1 Tim's.
Well I digress - i'm not going to go to various areas and count so if you have done your homework with this than i'll buy your numbers..Seriously though Johnathan - if you are shelling out 1.65 a day for a coffee you don't think someone could afford to shell out 2.35 for one - probably not going to make much of a difference.. Some people just prefer Tim's coffee, its not just about income! 2.35 a day isn't going to do anything to my bank account though really it is sort of a waste of money be it at Tim's or Starbucks.. Much cheaper just to make your own and probably make better coffee. Certainly my favourite coffee is the coffee I brew at home.

Another way to look at concentrations of Starbucks, people in the more affluent areas probably prefer the ambiance of Starbucks vs Tim's (which certainly is more upscale) and also the specialty drinks are more pricey like the Latte's, fraps etc.. The food items are probably more pricey and better quality as well.. For example - I can't stand Tim's food items at all and swear anything chicken at Tim's actually is 70 percent Tofu or something else other than chicken... I'm just talking about those of us who like their coffee fix and for me Starbucks is just not my cup of coffee regardless of price - it could be 50 cents for a Grande and i'd still pass.. The best Starbucks coffee I ever had and it was actually a great cup of coffee was at the Brussels airport - much much better than the standard blends they have in Canamerica.

In my area there is actually a greater concentration of Second Cups than Starbucks or Tim's oddly enough.. Not sure why.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
They will make you fat. But they are delicious.
Yeah I have the caramel one as an occasional treat - that is all!! They are better than Iced Caps at Tim's for sure.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:22 PM

4,821 posts, read 4,458,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Tim Hortons is a low end coffee shop chain.
Yeah it might be low end but its not as low end as Robins or Coffee time. lol

Old 05-28-2015, 07:40 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,120,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well I digress - i'm not going to go to various areas and count so if you have done your homework with this than i'll buy your numbers..Seriously though Johnathan - if you are shelling out 1.65 a day for a coffee you don't think someone could afford to shell out 2.35 for one - probably not going to make much of a difference.. Some people just prefer Tim's coffee, its not just about income! 2.35 a day isn't going to do anything to my bank account though really it is sort of a waste of money be it at Tim's or Starbucks.. Much cheaper just to make your own and probably make better coffee. Certainly my favourite coffee is the coffee I brew at home.

Another way to look at concentrations of Starbucks, people in the more affluent areas probably prefer the ambiance of Starbucks vs Tim's (which certainly is more upscale) and also the specialty drinks are more pricey like the Latte's, fraps etc.. The food items are probably more pricey and better quality as well.. For example - I can't stand Tim's food items at all and swear anything chicken at Tim's actually is 70 percent Tofu or something else other than chicken... I'm just talking about those of us who like their coffee fix and for me Starbucks is just not my cup of coffee regardless of price - it could be 50 cents for a Grande and i'd still pass.. The best Starbucks coffee I ever had and it was actually a great cup of coffee was at the Brussels airport - much much better than the standard blends they have in Canamerica.

In my area there is actually a greater concentration of Second Cups than Starbucks or Tim's oddly enough.. Not sure why.
All coffee shop info, including maps, are available on company websites. Numbers are quite easy to get, but I admit I'm a numbers person by profession. I never said it was all about cost btw. All I ever said is that more affluent people prefer Starbucks over Tim's, which is pretty obvious without having to dig evidence. I think we all agree, a brand is more about the total package and Starbucks' package is more upscale.

In terms of taste, it's a subjective topic so there's no right or wrong answer on an individual basis. But broadly speaking, Starbuck's popularity has to based on more than just how their stores look in this market, they have to serve something they enjoy drinking too. I find they not only have more options (which people like, not so much me) but the coffee has more distinct and bold flavors compared to Tim's which I find flatter. I also find a lot of Tim's coffee drinkers order double doubles (my mom does) and that makes the coffee just too sweet for my taste, it masks the taste of the coffee too much. I tried a sample of Tim's new Dark Roast out of a truck once and I liked it better than the regular coffee.

But I'm not really a big coffee person to be honest (2 a week). Like yourself, I just know what I like and I'm actually not that picky if push comes to shove. It seems like Tim's menu has expanded over the years with Lattes and different blends to capture some of Starbuck's wider offerings. I read an article from a couple of years back where Starbucks was offering less burnt or bitter coffee blends to tap more into Tim's market. End of day, it's all about companies extracting what they can from consumers in the market.

Last edited by johnathanc; 05-28-2015 at 08:39 AM..

Old 05-28-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
All coffee shop info, including maps, are available on company websites. Numbers are quite easy to get, but I admit I'm a numbers person by profession. I never said it was all about cost btw. All I ever said is that more affluent people prefer Starbucks over Tim's, which is pretty obvious without having to dig evidence. I think we all agree, a brand is more about the total package and Starbucks' package is more upscale.

In terms of taste, it's a subjective topic so there's no right or wrong answer on an individual basis. But broadly speaking, Starbuck's popularity has to based on more than just how their stores look in this market, they have to serve something they enjoy drinking too. I find they not only have more options (which people like, not so much me) but the coffee has more distinct and bold flavors compared to Tim's which I find flatter. I also find a lot of Tim's coffee drinkers order double doubles (my mom does) and that makes the coffee just too sweet for my taste, it masks the taste of the coffee too much. I tried a sample of Tim's new Dark Roast out of a truck once and I liked it better than the regular coffee.

But I'm not really a big coffee person to be honest (2 a week). Like yourself, I just know what I like and I'm actually not that picky if push comes to shove. It seems like Tim's menu has expanded over the years with Lattes and different blends to capture some of Starbuck's wider offerings. I read an article from a couple of years back where Starbucks was offering less burnt or bitter coffee blends to tap more into Tim's market. End of day, it's all about companies extracting what they can from consumers in the market.
My profession is excruciatingly detail oriented but I just can't be bothered and really don't care too much about where various coffee chains are located to be honest but yes you ponied up and I have no doubt about your counts.

Tim's Dark roast is better than their original blend imo but sure - taste is highly subjective.. I think the Starbucks blend you are talking about that is more similar to Tim's is their Blonde roast.. Extraction of the contents of our wallet is their primary aim... absolutely..

Old 05-29-2015, 09:30 PM

86 posts, read 86,550 times
I think it does. It's just much more of a western Canadian thing than an eastern Canadian thing. Call me a hipster, but I tend to prefer independent coffee places much more either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or